3 VERY interesting questions + a poll

do you experience a hot, possibly burning sensation whilst urinating?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, now that im on finasteride/dutasteride, but did before

• yes, i did before and continue to do so even on finasteride/dutasteride

• Total voters

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
1. why is finasteride said to be non dose-dependant (ie you get the same result with 1mg finasteride as you do with 5mg), especially when dutasteride is not dose dependant - you get 55% inhibition of DHT at 0.5mg and 82% at 2.5mg.

2. what is the limiting factor in the production of DHT. is it the amount of testosterone available for conversion or the amount of enzymes (5AR) there to catalyse the reaction.

3. why is scalp DHT harder to reduce?

4. The poll- i wanna see if that has anything to do with male pattern baldness, because when im finasteride, i can hardly feel the stream of urine, but a couple of days ago my doctor refused to prescribe me more finasteride (ill spare you the details). anyway, prior to 3 days ago, i has been on finasteride (5mg a day) for about 3 months and dutasteride at 1 mg a day for the last 2 months (im crazy, i know). so, as soon as started the finasteride, my itchy scalp got better and my urine wasnt "hot" anymore! but now that my finasteride has been withdrawn, that boiling pee has returned, but not the itch, not yet anyway.

the brand of dutasteride i use is Dr Reddys from Unitedpharmacies.com. have they been selling me fake stuff?? who's to blame dr Reddys or Unitedpharmacies? in the end, it could be legit stuff and my body might just be adjusting. haveing said that, i would have though that dutasteride would have been doing most of the work, and im still takin that at 1mg a day...

Discuss.

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously you need to goto a health clinic.... A burning sensation when urinating is a common STD symptom. If I were you I would get my *** to the clinic ASAP.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
HairyPotter said:
Seriously you need to goto a health clinic.... A burning sensation when urinating is a common STD symptom. If I were you I would get my *** to the clinic ASAP.

Or a simple urinary tract infection... STDs get all the credit..

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
Thomas said:
HairyPotter said:

Or a simple urinary tract infection... STDs get all the credit..

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was just going to say, why jump the gun and say that it's a STD? Of course, check with your Doctor but it isn't ONLY STD's that cause that. One of the big culprits is as was stated, a urinary tract infection.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
everysixseconds said:
1. why is finasteride said to be non dose-dependant (ie you get the same result with 1mg finasteride as you do with 5mg), especially when dutasteride is not dose dependant - you get 55% inhibition of DHT at 0.5mg and 82% at 2.5mg.

I think they are BOTH dose-dependent, to some degree. Here's a scan of the early "dose-ranging" study with finasteride:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/finasteride ... anging.htm

everysixseconds said:
2. what is the limiting factor in the production of DHT. is it the amount of testosterone available for conversion or the amount of enzymes (5AR) there to catalyse the reaction.

Excellent question! Castration reduces serum testosterone levels by 90%-95%, but serum DHT is reduced by only around 70% or so, according to one study I've seen. That suggests to me that maybe the amount of 5a-reductase is the limiting factor in the production of DHT, although I certainly wouldn't consider that to be the final word on the subject.

everysixseconds said:
3. why is scalp DHT harder to reduce?

You mean like with dutasteride? For one thing, most of the DHT in skin/scalp comes from the type 1 form of 5a-reductase, and dutasteride is considerably less potent against type 1 than type 2. And another factor that makes it more difficult is that the cellular production of type 1 is FASTER than type 2, meaning that it gets replaced at a faster rate, making it still more difficult to keep suppressed all the time.

Bryan

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Not meaning to gross anyone out, but I get a burning sensation if I urinate within 10 minutes of 'releasing steam'.

Otherwise no burning sensation. This has been the case for years and during that time I've have had urine samples taken for other reasons and nothing has ever come up, so it's not necessarily something to worry about.

Definitely have it checked out though.

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
hairschmair said:
Not meaning to gross anyone out, but I get a burning sensation if I urinate within 10 minutes of 'releasing steam'.

Otherwise no burning sensation. This has been the case for years and during that time I've have had urine samples taken for other reasons and nothing has ever come up, so it's not necessarily something to worry about.

Definitely have it checked out though.

yeah, i think you may be right. i actually get a burning sensation after the steam. it cant be be an std cos ive never had sex. i think ill go to the Doctor. see what he says.