3 questions on finasteride!

Loolapalooza

Reaction score
Hi there.

I´m a newbie, I have a Norwood 1.. going to 2, I have a lot of fear going on finasteride, I have 2 questions on the drug ..

1) Is it common premature aging side effect? Wrinkles, changed facial features, dark eyes.. Like a 30 year old looking 45.. Any long time user to report this? Any user having friends with this?

2) How long Finasteride will keep my hair? As long as I use it? (forever?)

or it will stop working at some time and I will lose my hair even if I still use it?

3) Finasteride will keep my hairs at the baseline? (the ones near the forehead)

Thank you very much for any answer...

Cheers!

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Loolapalooza said:
Hi there.

I´m a newbie, I have a Norwood 1.. going to 2, I have a lot of fear going on finasteride, I have 2 questions on the drug ..

1) Is it common premature aging side effect? Wrinkles, changed facial features, dark eyes.. Like a 30 year old looking 45.. Any long time user to report this? Any user having friends with this?

2) How long Finasteride will keep my hair? As long as I use it? (forever?)

or it will stop working at some time and I will lose my hair even if I still use it?

3) Finasteride will keep my hairs at the baseline? (the ones near the forehead)

Thank you very much for any answer...

Cheers!

welcome to HairLossTalk.com

1) premature aging is not a common side effect "if any"
the way you take care of your body/skin will affect aging

2) individuals using finasteride have maintained their hair for well over 10-15 years
no one has used finasteride for more than 20 years (it hasnt been on the market that long)

some speculate that the benefits of finasteride plateau after 10 years or soo
then they usually take a higher dose of approx 2mg instead of 1

even if the effects wear off over time you would have been better off using
finasteride than not at all

check out (flavio's) story hes been on it for well over 10 years

3) now this question is tricky
finasteride has shown to be not be AS EFFECTIVE in the temples as it is in the crown and anterior mid scalp area
and it's effects on the hairline are not conclusive either

ive seen individuals keep their hairline and still recede sightly in the temples

the reason is the temple hair is usually the most sensitive to DHT

I will also mention that going from an NW1 to NW2 is not male pattern baldness (it's the maturing process) granted losing hair is losing hair

if you have male pattern baldness in your immediate family
I.E. father, bros, uncles, grand parents etc.
then i would consider using finasteride
however if every male in your family is NW2 then i wouldnt worry much about male pattern baldness

Loolapalooza

Reaction score
BodyDysmorphic said:
I will also mention that going from an NW1 to NW2 is not male pattern baldness (it's the maturing process) granted losing hair is losing hair

if you have male pattern baldness in your immediate family
I.E. father, bros, uncles, grand parents etc.
then i would consider using finasteride
however if every male in your family is NW2 then i wouldnt worry much about male pattern baldness

thank you, really nice answer.

Now that´s REALLY tricky to evaluate ..

My father is near 60 and has got a gipsy dense iron hair he always had since birth (but has got receded temples);
My mother side grandfather is semi-bald (he has a normal hair and baseline, the diference is that it´s a few inches above the common baseline) , and this condition is the very same since he is like 40;

My dads side grandfather died with full head of hair;

I´ve got uncles from both sides completely bald, and uncles from both sides just with receded temples.

So, my dermatologist just said:

"You may go bald, but you may also preserv your hair like that until 40.. I really don´t know. It´s weird your family history, mainly your father with that kind of hair"

So as you all may guess, my position right now about finasteride usage is:

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I´m afraid going unnecesseraly through a lifetime of drug but I´m also afraid I´m actually going bald and I won´t do nothing.

If only I could guess the future!

Loolapalooza

Reaction score
finfighter said:
This is not a side effect of Finasteride! Although some have reported dry skin which can lead to wrinkles and dark under eye circles from Minoxidil, not Finasteride.

thank you for the answer

yes it is, go to propeciahelp.com and you´ll see.

And also I got that impression from chatting with long time users ...

Cheers

Tee1234

Reaction score
I'll be 26 in 2.5 months and I've been on Propecia for 5 years.

I still get mistaken for being anywhere from 16-20 years of age.

Established Member
Reaction score
Loolapalooza said:
finfighter said:
This is not a side effect of Finasteride! Although some have reported dry skin which can lead to wrinkles and dark under eye circles from Minoxidil, not Finasteride.

thank you for the answer

yes it is, go to propeciahelp.com and you´ll see.

And also I got that impression from chatting with long time users ...

Cheers

I doubt propecia could cause premature aging. I think that idea just stems from people who are very concerned about their looks. Think about it...if someone is willing to take medication for their hairloss, then they are probably very keen on noticing any negative difference to their appearance. Regardless, I would gladly take a few extra rinkles and grey hairs to keep the hair on my head.