3 or 4 ml of Rogaine, with nightcap

rooftop2599

Reaction score
I am applying Rogaine across the entire top of my head. I've found that 1ml really isn't a lot because some solution gets soaked up by my hair and other solution rolls off.

Trying it for the past week (I'm new to it) I have been steadily increasing it to where I was using almost 4ml a setting. I think I would go back to 3ml, but is that still too high? I am only using it once daily before I go to bed.

I started getting some dandruff but hopfully if I scale it down to 3ml that will go away.

My *real* question is, is it going to reduce the effectiveness if I use too *much*?

Also, what do you think about the idea of applying it 30 minutes before I have to go to bed and then wearing a plastic shower/swimming cap to keep the medication on? I was thinking of hiding it with a beanie so it's not noticeable.

Using Propecia, Nizoral, and Rogaine, and currently worried I am losing hair too fast... let's just hope it's the shedding from the Rogaine (Have already been on Propecia 7.5 months, Rogaine like 2 weeks).

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
I also apply 4ml. Because it's the only way to cover all our heads.

But at lont terms, isn't that bad? I mean if they talk about side's with just the normal 1ml...

Anyone else?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The first six months or so I used quite a bit of 5%, maybe up to 5ml per
application and i never had any sides. But when I switched to 15%
minoxidil and used the same amount my blood pressure dropped through
the floor to like 95/50 an insanely low BP number. On 4ml of 5%
my blood pressure drops slightly so I know it's not getting through to
my system as much. I think everyone is going to respond differently
and I think you could gauge how much is getting through by checking
your BP and comparing it to where you are normally.

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
My heartbeat rises, but continues in normal levels says my doctor.

Anyone else could give recommendation or apply a lot more minoxidil?

ali777

Reaction score
rooftop2599 said:
My *real* question is, is it going to reduce the effectiveness if I use too *much*?

I don't think there is a such a thing as reduced effectiveness. However, what you get with 4ml may not be better than what you get with 1ml.

My understanding is that the recommended dose is 1ml for the crown areas, ie the top. Like me, many of us apply it to the frontal areas, ie the hairline, as well. I know 1ml doesn't feel enough to cover the "whole head", but I wouldn't apply more than 1-2ml at a time. I'd do at most 1.5ml per application.

I actually try to spread 1ml as much as possible. I don't like using too much minoxidil. It makes my scalp itchy, I get bloated face, and the my eyes end up looking like I haven't slept for 5 days. Too much is definitely not good for me.

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have sides with this quantity of rogaine, is this normal?

And any studies about the maximum quantity and when it loses effectivity?

If 1ml is just for the vertex for the whole head must be 5ml i think.

beaner

Reaction score
striker9 said:
If 1ml is just for the vertex for the whole head must be 5ml i think.

Is your crown five times bigger than the rest of your head?

More is not better, stick with 2 ml or less--it is plenty to cover your whole head.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
i apply 2ml at night sometimes
dont know if it would give any gains

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
crown, temples etc... at least 4 times bigger. 4ml?

And any studies about the maximum quantity and when it loses effectivity?

wesley any results?

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
well i can see that my little regrowth-hairs starting to grow more... getting longer

there must be more minoxidil in my body this way , sinds a have a little higer heartbeat for some time and also transpiration is more...
also higer dose of minoxidil makes my skin feel more itchy...

but from the things i see it could give more improvement...
ill keep you posted...

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
More transpiration? Looks like sides to me.

But anyone know the maximum quantity?

Because crown, temples etc... at least 4 times bigger. 4ml?

hbdale309

Reaction score
striker9 said:
More transpiration? Looks like sides to me.

But anyone know the maximum quantity?

Because crown, temples etc... at least 4 times bigger. 4ml?

4ml sounds good to me. I've always heard the more the better. I use a lot because the minoxidil is so cheap. If I can, I use it three times a day, every 8 hrs.

The only possible side I've noticed is sweating more than usual, but this could be all in my head. The temp. in Texas just jumped up this week.

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
hbdale309, and what about results? If you apply 3x times a day!

So i see 4/5ml is completely normal..

And 5/6 caps (in the case of the foam) is also normal... right?

beaner

Reaction score
striker9 said:

Yeah it's normal if your head's the size of a watermelon. :) :) :)

Just kidding--I think that's way too much minoxidil and totally unnecessary. Your scalp can only absorb so much before it's saturated and anything else is wasted. Look around and you'll find dozens of posts regarding this.

Good luck

hbdale309

Reaction score
striker9 said:

I'm kinda of OCD like that. I need to know that a good amount of minoxidil gets onto every thinning or potentially thinning spot. Since the minoxidil is so cheap I'll probably use an avg. of 3 ml each application. I'll put it on every 8 hours if I can, but I haven't been able to do this everyday.

I bought a 9mos supply of minoxidil for 30$ on Ebay so I can afford the peace of mind. I'm seeing some nice results, but I haven't been doing it long enough. Plus, I'm now on the big 3 so it'll be tough to tell what's giving me the regrowth.

I agree w/ Beaner though, judging by many of the success stories and the science behind it, you don't need to put that much on, and you don't need to apply thrice daily to see good results.

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree w/ Beaner though, judging by many of the success stories and the science behind it, you don't need to put that much on, and you don't need to apply thrice daily to see good results.

__

I think i'll try to go to a lower dosage.

But i'm like you, i'm afraid that rogaine doesn't reach every follicle.

Because i'm a diffuse androgenetic alopecia.

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
Still putting too much, really thinking it won't reach every follicle.

I have diffuse, so every other place it's good but in the middle is still not too good.

5 caps now, and you people?