3 months on rogaine

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil for around three months. These pictures were taken in the same exact bathroom. In my "After" pictures my hair is actually shorter. Hopefully, the before and after pictures are obvious. What do you guys think?

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil for around three months. These pictures were taken in the same exact bathroom. In my "After" pictures my hair is actually shorter. Hopefully, the before and after pictures are obvious. What do you guys think?
If the pic all the way to the left (1st pic) was before treatment...I'm confused as to why you even started minoxidil...finasteride or dutasteride alone could've kept you in good shape.
If I'm mistaken about the pictures, sorry!

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
If the pic all the way to the left (1st pic) was before treatment...I'm confused as to why you even started minoxidil...finasteride or dutasteride alone could've kept you in good shape.
If I'm mistaken about the pictures, sorry!
That is after pic followed by a before pic and the far right is before. I'm 20 and do not think a lifetime of dht reduction is healthy

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
That is after pic followed by a before pic and the far right is before. I'm 20 and do not think a lifetime of dht reduction is healthy

Well luckily for you it likely wouldn't be a lifetime, If you don't think something better will come along within the next 50 years then you're not being a realist, you're being a pessimist which, is a fair stance to have I suppose although I would wager my life that 50 years from now there will be something better. ;)

If you ever felt like getting off because "a lifetime" is too long then you can get off an AA whenever you like, just be prepared to go bald.
Also if you are using Minoxidil then it obviously means you have some incentive to fight male pattern baldness, Minoxidil won't maintain your hair. If you start balding under 30 the chances are you will need something stronger than Minoxidil (which may I add is a much more dangerous treatment to be on for life).
The 10 year Finasteride studies were conclusive, the drug is safe and effective for long term use. Let's cut to the real reason your don't want to take finasteride right now and that is because you're scared of side effects, like practically every other new guy to this forum.

I suspect your opinion will change within the next year or two when you realize Minoxidil won't save you and your precious locks are too important to lose.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
T
Well luckily for you it likely wouldn't be a lifetime, If you don't think something better will come along within the next 50 years then you're not being a realist, you're being a pessimist which, is a fair stance to have I suppose although I would wager my life that 50 years from now there will be something better. ;)

If you ever felt like getting off because "a lifetime" is too long then you can get off an AA whenever you like, just be prepared to go bald.
Also if you are using Minoxidil then it obviously means you have some incentive to fight male pattern baldness, Minoxidil won't maintain your hair. If you start balding under 30 the chances are you will need something stronger than Minoxidil (which may I add is a much more dangerous treatment to be on for life).
The 10 year Finasteride studies were conclusive, the drug is safe and effective for long term use. Let's cut to the real reason your don't want to take finasteride right now and that is because you're scared of side effects, like practically every other new guy to this forum.

I suspect your opinion will change within the next year or two when you realize Minoxidil won't save you and your precious locks are too important to lose.

I can cite two studies showing minoxidil can keep RESPONDERS above baseline for 5 years

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
T

I can cite two studies showing minoxidil can keep RESPONDERS above baseline for 5 years

Please do it then, and while you're at it can you address the rest of my comment please?

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Link 1: http://www.anagen.net/m14.htm

Can't find the other study but it showed similar results to first link.

These studies were also done with 2% minoxidil!

Yes, this kept most responders above baseline for 5 years, it also noted that over those 5 years hair count gradually decreased and If this were to continue then after 16 years the user would be back at baseline. This study is very vague and does not say whether or not the subjects were on finasteride as well. Hazarding a guess I would say there were as otherwise their hair would continue to be attacked by DHT regardless of Minoxidil. The trial also does not tell us the age of the subjects, men who suffer male pattern baldness older in life tend to have less aggressive male pattern baldness compared to people like you who suffer it young, when it is more likely to be aggressive. Minoxidil does a much better job when the male pattern baldness is less aggressive. The chances are yours is aggressive, personally I don't care whether you go on Finasteride or not, I don't care if you lose all your hair, it will be your own fault. Just don't come crying to HairLossTalk.com in the future when that bald spot has gotten bigger and that hairline has receded further.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, this kept most responders above baseline for 5 years, it also noted that over those 5 years hair count gradually decreased and If this were to continue then after 16 years the user would be back at baseline. This study is very vague and does not say whether or not the subjects were on finasteride as well. Hazarding a guess I would say there were as otherwise their hair would continue to be attacked by DHT regardless of Minoxidil. The trial also does not tell us the age of the subjects, men who suffer male pattern baldness older in life tend to have less aggressive male pattern baldness compared to people like you who suffer it young, when it is more likely to be aggressive. Minoxidil does a much better job when the male pattern baldness is less aggressive. The chances are yours is aggressive, personally I don't care whether you go on Finasteride or not, I don't care if you lose all your hair, it will be your own fault. Just don't come crying to HairLossTalk.com in the future when that bald spot has gotten bigger and that hairline has receded further.

I have had multiple doctors tell me that PREMATURE male pattern baldness does not ALWAYS mean AGREESIVE male pattern baldness... And that 16 year thing was not a part of the study I believe... That was just someone commenting on it. How can you tell me minoxidil doesn't interfere with the fundamental balding process when our society of scientists DONT EVEN KNOW how it completely works

JustinCanada

Reaction score
If the first and fourth are before and the second and third are after, than there has been a huge improvement for you! If that happened purely from minoxidil after 3 months than youre a very good responder to the stuff.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
I have had multiple doctors tell me that PREMATURE male pattern baldness does not ALWAYS mean AGREESIVE male pattern baldness... And that 16 year thing was not a part of the study I believe... That was just someone commenting on it. How can you tell me minoxidil doesn't interfere with the fundamental balding process when our society of scientists DONT EVEN KNOW how it completely works

I'm not saying it doesn't interfere with the balding process, I am just saying it likely doesn't do enough to stop male pattern baldness in 90% of people using it. Also the fact we don't even know how it completely works should show you what a potentially dangerous treatment minoxidil can be, I'd rather have a lower libido from finasteride (which I didn't get anyway) than scarring on my heart from minoxidil.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not saying it doesn't interfere with the balding process, I am just saying it likely doesn't do enough to stop male pattern baldness in 90% of people using it. Also the fact we don't even know how it completely works should show you what a potentially dangerous treatment minoxidil can be, I'd rather have a lower libido from finasteride (which I didn't get anyway) than scarring on my heart from minoxidil.

Oh please, they have shown the systemic absorption of 5 PERCENT, I REPEAT, 5 PERCENT minoxidil to be almost 0 when applied topically. The pill you take works systemically 100%. Killing DHT for years and years is not good. You take a pill from a company that said during its trials that DHT is a useless hormone in adult males. The company NEVER assessed the semen quality of participants and never even mentioned DHT's effect on the brain. Seems like a safe drug, right?

- - - Updated - - -

If the first and fourth are before and the second and third are after, than there has been a huge improvement for you! If that happened purely from minoxidil after 3 months than youre a very good responder to the stuff.

Thank you man! I am not on finasteride at all

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Another deluded idiot. This forum is full of them.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Instead of proving me wrong, you attack me.... Seems like the right way to win an argument lol

I don't need to prove you wrong, the facts prove you wrong, do you really think finasteride would even be a thing if the majority of people could maintain on Minoxidil? I know guys like you, you come to this forum with your hair loss knowing near enough nothing about male pattern baldness, and you look at the treatments and see finasteride. But you don't like the danger of potential dick sides so you tell yourself from the off that you're never going to take it even though the studies show that it's safe. Give me one study that shows the dangers of long term DHT inhibition? Go on, do it.

My friend linked me to a Propeciahelp page the other day, on it was some kid who was claiming he had permanent ED after 2 days of Saw Palmetto, it's laughable. That's the mindset people like you would have if you ever went on to finasteride, "I am going to get sides no matter what" and then low and behold you get them, I wonder why? Enjoy going bald.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't need to prove you wrong, the facts prove you wrong, do you really think finasteride would even be a thing if the majority of people could maintain on Minoxidil? I know guys like you, you come to this forum with your hair loss knowing near enough nothing about male pattern baldness, and you look at the treatments and see finasteride. But you don't like the danger of potential dick sides so you tell yourself from the off that you're never going to take it even though the studies show that it's safe. Give me one study that shows the dangers of long term DHT inhibition? Go on, do it.

My friend linked me to a Propeciahelp page the other day, on it was some kid who was claiming he had permanent ED after 2 days of Saw Palmetto, it's laughable. That's the mindset people like you would have if you ever went on to finasteride, "I am going to get sides no matter what" and then low and behold you get them, I wonder why? Enjoy going bald.

There is no study because it's just now being brought to light the side effects. Your argument about why finasteride was made is also wrong. If someone things they have a superior treatment they will market it. That doesn't mean minoxidil can't maintain. Someone on this fourm told me that fell back to baseline after 7 years of use.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
There is no study because it's just now being brought to light the side effects. Your argument about why finasteride was made is also wrong. If someone things they have a superior treatment they will market it. That doesn't mean minoxidil can't maintain. Someone on this fourm told me that fell back to baseline after 7 years of use.

What? What do you mean "because it's just now being brought to light the side effects" no it isn't. There are people who have been on finasteride since the beginning back in 1998 with no problems throughout the entire time. I'm fed up of arguing with you because whatever I say you won't see reason. I will let your follicles do the talking when a few years from now, If you're still only on Minoxidil, then you will see what I meant.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
What? What do you mean "because it's just now being brought to light the side effects" no it isn't. There are people who have been on finasteride since the beginning back in 1998 with no problems throughout the entire time. I'm fed up of arguing with you because whatever I say you won't see reason. I will let your follicles do the talking when a few years from now, If you're still only on Minoxidil, then you will see what I meant.

All I'm saying is minoxidil gets a bad reputation. Yes finasteride is better. But minoxidil is a great alternative. Compliance it's why many people think it doesn't work. I have put it on every single day for two times a day for only 3 months and have gotten results. Haven't missed a single treatment.

tab531

Reaction score
hairloss23 is one toxic mofo... good gains man.. keep it up.. if you notice you need more than min... you should consider finasteride... do it earlier than later.

Hairloss 23.. how would you compare .5 mg of dutasteride... to 1 mg of finasteride... in terms of strength...