3 months on Finastride and Nioxin shampoo

TeamCatfish

Reaction score
Here are some comparison pictures.

Four month update

Well its been about 3 and a half months on Proscar - I've had a shorter haircut (and for anyone reading this thinking about cutting their hair shorter if its currently quite long - I highly recommend doing it!)

I'm shedding like crazy currently. I'll lose on average 30 or so hairs in the shower, and when I run my fingers through my hair, I'll come up with a hair or two EVERY time, it's so frustrating.

Heres some photos to compare.

Left hand side.

28/04/2010
P4280850-01.jpg

14/01/2010
P3090736-01.jpg

Right hand side (notice the freckle, if you look at the photo directly below, you can see whether or not i'm progressing worse or better based on it's position in the hairline, it's my marker) Please tell me if you see any difference? I want an unbiased opinion!

28/04/2010
P4280851-01.jpg

14/01/2010
P3090735-03.jpg

Current hairline

28/04/2010
P4280854-01.jpg

I don't have a current hairline pictyre

Vertex

28/04/2010
P4280857-01.jpg

14/01/2010
P3090738-01.jpg

Can anyone give me some advice, encouragement, but most of all an honest opinion. I'm prepared for the worst, and if it occurs, i'll simply shave my head down to the skin and rock that look. Hopefully my girlfriend doesn't mind :p

The shedding is probably the hardest part - the other day when I was studying at uni I got frustrated with something and scratched my head in frustration. A hair fell out.

So I ruffled my hair a little, and more came out.. and more.. and more! After a minute or two of ruffling (not hard) I had about 30 or so hairs on my desk.. Not the most comforting sight!

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
PLEASE resize your pics.

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
dont panic stick with the proscar, ive been on finasteride for more than 2 years and can still lose 20 or 30 hairs in the shower but my hair continues to get better. shedding hair is normal, the shedding will never stop completely so try not to get freaked out by it. 3 months is still too early to expect results it took 14 months for me, so just be patient. you caught it early so with a bit of luck you will be fine....

TeamCatfish

Reaction score
Thanks David!

I guess I should realise that after reading countless stories on here of finasteride taking between 3 - 24 months to show any effect.

I think it's just the stories where you might see some improvement after 3 or so months that you expect your own experience to replicate that.

I'm guesstimating that I'm currently losing around 150~200 hairs a day, and hoping its simply a shed.

Do your sheds go through phases, like a month-long shed at a time, or are they inconsistent?

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
TeamCatfish said:
Thanks David!

I guess I should realise that after reading countless stories on here of finasteride taking between 3 - 24 months to show any effect.

I think it's just the stories where you might see some improvement after 3 or so months that you expect your own experience to replicate that.

I'm guesstimating that I'm currently losing around 150~200 hairs a day, and hoping its simply a shed.

Do your sheds go through phases, like a month-long shed at a time, or are they inconsistent?
Resize those pics man! :dunno:

TeamCatfish

Reaction score
It loads fine for me and others?

Maybe your still on dial-up?

Surely someone with broadband can give me an opinion?

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
there didnt seem to be any pattern to my shedding although i shed more hair in the first 6 months on finasteride than i ever have. Since then my shedding has been pretty much stable.