3 months on finasteride - hair looks worse than ever

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I started finasteride my hair wasn't bad anywhere but crown. I had some thinning on my vertex as bad but hardly noticeable.

Been on for 3 months now and my hair is worse than ever. My overall density is way less (maybe 20-40 %), and now my vertex has thinned so much I have a tuft formed on my forelock. Crown also looks way worse

Should I keep taking finasteride?

===========================

Updated with pics:

Before finasteride (hair is dry, only pics I have):

1.jpg
3.jpg

3 months on finasteride:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 2,818

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Three months on Finasteride isn't enough time to conclude if it's helping your hair or not, do keep taking the drug. Sometimes hair quality could get worse before it starts getting better when treating patterned baldness.

diehunnen123

Banned
Reaction score
Before I started finasteride my hair wasnt bad anywhere but crown. I had some thinning on my vertex as bad but hardly noticeable.

Been on for 3 months now and my hair is worse than ever. My overall density is way less (maybe 20-40 %), and now my vertex has thinned so much I have a tuft formed on my forelock. Crown also looks worse

i feel you, difference is ive been on it for 5 months now :/

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
I broke my cell phone so I lost almost all my 'before' pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

i feel you, difference is ive been on it for 5 months now :/

Damn that sucks man. You probably wouldnt have realized I was balding if looking at me head-on before I started finasteride. Now it's pretty bad around my temples with a clear 'u' of thinning across my head. **** sucks man...You are staying on finasteride i take it?

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
In 4 months on finasteride and hair is worse also.

What the hell..

mrk123

Reaction score
attachment.php

Do I really want to take this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 23.35.50.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 23.35.50.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,386

missingmyhair

Reaction score
Keep us posted!

Before I started finasteride my hair wasnt bad anywhere but crown. I had some thinning on my vertex as bad but hardly noticeable.

Been on for 3 months now and my hair is worse than ever. My overall density is way less (maybe 20-40 %), and now my vertex has thinned so much I have a tuft formed on my forelock. Crown also looks worse

Keep us posted on the regrowth with some photos along the way.

Also, I am wondering if you are having any other side effects?

diehunnen123

Banned
Reaction score
I broke my cell phone so I lost almost all my 'before' pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn that sucks man. You probably wouldnt have realized I was balding if looking at me head-on before I started finasteride. Now it's pretty bad around my temples with a clear 'u' of thinning across my head. **** sucks man...You are staying on finasteride i take it?

yea im staying on it, i just hope im one of those "late responders".

Wave

Established Member
Reaction score
Dudes, stay on it. I was panicking until month 6-7. That's when I stopped my shedding. You guys are going through a shedding phase, which is VERY COMMON for all finasteride/dutasteride users. Stick with i for a year. I can almost guarantee you'll see results. And by results I mean maintaining, not regrowth.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Why don't you add Minoxidil? The two combined fight hair loss much better than just one!

Good luck.

Might add it later. Dont want to commit to the daily chire atm. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Dudes, stay on it. I was panicking until month 6-7. That's when I stopped my shedding. You guys are going through a shedding phase, which is VERY COMMON for all finasteride/dutasteride users. Stick with i for a year. I can almost guarantee you'll see results. And by results I mean maintaining, not regrowth.

Thx...did you get back what you had before starting finasteride?

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you on brand or generic?
4.5 months ago the pharmacy put me on reedys 5mg. My hair is going for a ride. Not sure if it's because it's generic or just a different brand. I'm going back on brand proscar this weekend. Generic is $3 a month and brand is $43 a month but the peace of mind is priceless.
Stick with finasteride.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the regrowth with some photos along the way.

Also, I am wondering if you are having any other side effects?

Will do...I had some nut ache that went away. I thought I was I was getting gyno too but I am 90 % sure now that it was me being paranoid..keeping an eye on it for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you on brand or generic?
4.5 months ago the pharmacy put me on reedys 5mg. My hair is going for a ride. Not sure if it's because it's generic or just a different brand. I'm going back on brand proscar this weekend. Generic is $3 a month and brand is $43 a month but the peace of mind is priceless.
Stick with finasteride.

Generic finasteride from CVS. $1 a month after insurance lol. I asked the derm for proscar after reading rawshaks post but she said no and gave generic finasteride instead

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd tell the Dr to call in our get a new prescription for brand. Maybe try talking to a different person at CVS. I would not mess with generic.
They took back my old pills and they gave me brand. This debate of generic vs brand absorption has been going on for over 10 years. If I remember right drinking tall glass of gratefruit juice increases absorption. Maybe try that til you can get brand name.

Hope this helps. Best of luck. Tonight I go back on proscar after bening on generic for 5 months. Maybe it's a shed maybe not.

HLTtdc4412

Reaction score
Fight through the sheds right? A month on finasteride and feeling like I'm going to be scalped by tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

i wake up and looks like chewbacca shagged my pillow

AlexieJ

Reaction score
Don't lose hope better to wait like 6-8 months. You will not be seeing result in just a matter of 3 months.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score

Please take this guys advice. You are not a late responder. It takes at least a year to start seeing improvement thats even worth mentioning, usually. Three months in on finasteride and my hair got destroyed too, but it's only temporary and it will start to come back.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Forgive me ignorance here but how does this make sense?

Hair grows around a half an inch a month, and supposedly finasteride inhibits DHT within a week, so why wouldn't you see results after a few months? I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I hope you are right.. I am just curios how that works.

Also, can I hope to get back the hair I had when I started finasteride? Or maybe the hair I had the year before if I am lucky? I have read that people who 'shed' often have good results down the road...any truth to this?

Thanks..