3 months on finasteride but no progress

mr_misterr

Reaction score
Having read people on here having had positive results after 3 months on finasteride, I ordered Finpecia from Inhouse Pharmacy 3 months ago.
Its nearly 3 months now and so far I have no regrowth or have I maintained. My hair had actually got thinner and my hairline has deterioted badly since I started.
I know I should keep going but afraid that it will not even maintain.
I'm currently a NW2 going on to 3. I am 36 years old

This is my current regime

1mg Finpecia Daily
5% Rogaine Liquid 1 x daily
Nizoral 2 x week
MSM 1500mg daily
Multivitamin 1 x daily
Green Tea 1 x daily

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Cassin is right, 3 month is NOTHING. It takes up to a year to see results but also remember maintaning is also considered success, regrowth is a bonus. I was lucky to see both but it took a year, stick with it.

verlieber

Reaction score
Hey mr may please feed us back with your progress? My case just as yours,
am 36 yrs, diffuse thinner, have been on finasteride for almost 2.5 months, shedding heavily 100+ in the shower everyday, am really frustrated so far. your reply'd be greatly appreciated.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Well I have been on finasteride for almost 4 years along with minoxidil 5% and Nizoral and things are holding just fine.

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
3 months wont do anything

if this helps at all, when i was 3 months into propecia i thought i was clearly gonna lose it all (nw2.5 going towards 3 rapidly)

after about 6-7 months, the thinning stopped and reversal slowly started

i'm on almost 3 years and my hair is WAY better than it was when I started...please hang in there!

verlieber

Reaction score
Thanks gys, still waiting for Mr's reply, if he wouldn't be arround soon, I'd assume he quit the forum due to success, encouraging

belowzero

Reaction score
I am also using finpecia (inhouse) for 1 and a half months so far nothing. Don't think my hair is shedding or anything but then again it's hard to say. I can't taste anything when i put this drug in my mouth is that normal? So far I've experience no side effects what soever. Is there anyone on this forum who is using Finpecia (from inhouse) and has actual proof that this stuff works?

I was thinking of perhaps buying Dr Reddy's finax from a different website and then alternating Finax one day Finpecia the next. That way I if one was a dud i would at least be getting finasteride every other day. Or perhaps even cutting the pills in half and doing , Half Finpecia + Half Finax daily, the idea being again if one product was a dud at least id be getting roughly 0.5 mg of Finasteride per day. Can anyone see any problem with doing this? For those with experience with Generics please provide some input to put my mind at ease , at this stage i really can't afford to buy the real deal and if i went to see my GP to get a prescription no doubt he would just send me to a derm which would put me on a 5 month wait list just to get an appointment and cost me 2 trips to the doctors.

Cheers

verlieber

Reaction score
seems no body over here??!!
I will update anyway, today my 4 1/4 months on finasteride, shedding steadly continues, yet is increasing to 120 or 150 in the shower last week,( decreased to 80 for few days and then got back to 100+)
today was huge panic i counted 220 hairs in the shower horrible, shall I stop taking this pill? Am also on minoxidil

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Rules of thumb:

1) Typical first response to hair-loss treatment agents takes 3-6 months. occasionally less, occasionally more.

2) There is no "special treatment" for one person as opposed to another.

3)The only way to tell what will work is to just try it.

4) A wave of shedding oten happens in the first few weeks of treatment. Hair spends 2-4 months in the loss phase before falling out. So this hair was already in the loss phase when you started treatment.

5) The most common single cause of this wave of shedding is hair follicles coming out of dormancy early and shedding loss phase hair. Thus, this wave of loss can be the first sign that treatment is working.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
verlieber said:
I will update anyway, today my 4 1/4 months on finasteride, shedding steadly continues, yet is increasing to 120 or 150 in the shower last week,( decreased to 80 for few days and then got back to 100+)
today was huge panic i counted 220 hairs in the shower horrible, shall I stop taking this pill? Am also on minoxidil

220 hairs in the shower ? I have never heard of anything like that? Are you taking steroids or something ?

If you see 200 hairs in the shower you are losing 500 a day easy !

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
HT55 said:
verlieber said:

220 hairs in the shower ? I have never heard of anything like that? Are you taking steroids or something ?

If you see 200 hairs in the shower you are losing 500 a day easy !

I lost 100- 200 hairs a day in the shower, during a finasteride induced shed which lasted for two months, all of the lost hair grew back thicker!

So basically your entire shower was jsut covered in hair ?

I had had great results with the big 3 but i may lose 10 - 15 hairs a day that I can actually see

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ps1freak said:
3 months wont do anything

if this helps at all, when i was 3 months into propecia i thought i was clearly gonna lose it all (nw2.5 going towards 3 rapidly)

after about 6-7 months, the thinning stopped and reversal slowly started

i'm on almost 3 years and my hair is WAY better than it was when I started...please hang in there!

Is this common?

I'm at the 7 month stage (Although I did have a month off) and my hair is still gradually thinning....

I'm hoping for some kind of reversal but to be honest I've lost hope. :(

verlieber

Reaction score
Dr Proctor, you have the openion of testosteron role in male pattern baldness, and you explaned how it creats androgen receptos tissue, in a rapid pace to catch up hairloss in those who propecia won't work for them, is it the Telogen Effluvium, and do you think am going through it, as I curruntly count 150 every day in the shower!! almost 4 1/2 months on propecia(0.63 mg) though, shall I stop?? Thank you

verlieber

Reaction score
another update, it's my 7.5 months now shedding as high as 150-200 in shower daily, my hair just as thin, finasteride dose increased to 0.714 mg, I wanna ask any one using this med and got results only after 8, 9 or even one year?? please help me, am so disappointment

verlieber

Reaction score
Thanks finfighter for the reply, yes I think i'll take the recommendation, however, I've heard that 0.5 mg finasteride could be %80 as effective as the proper dose, but am shedding like crazy and even more than before sarting finasteride, my question is have you heard of any success after say 9 months?

Doogey

Reaction score
Why just 1mg, or 0.5 mg?

Could it be that it's just not a potent enough dose per day?

And why would finasteride make hair shed? It seems it should decrease the DHT levels, and thus stop any more DHT-induced loss, and certainly wouldn't regrow hair by itself. It could allow the original hairs to express themselves more fully, though.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why hasn't anyone raised the obvious concern that it could be the "finpecia" that is responsible for the continued loss? i've never trusted these online generics, there is no guarantee they have the correct dosage of finasteride. i would highly recommend you get a legitimate prescription of propecia or proscar. would you buy generics from inhouse pharmacy if you were dying from cancer?

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
^^^

very good point.

it seems most "this isn't working" stories are from finpecia users.

rather, it doesn't seem, it's true.