3 Months in on Rogaine - Once a Day

minoxhelpplease

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been using the 5% foam in the mornings after I shower for about 3 months now. I don't notice any major change one way or another, but hope to see some new growth by the end of month 4. I haven't experienced any major shed, although I do think I went through a minor shed that lasted only a few days.

I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to twice a day since I haven''t seen any results. My hair loss/thinning isn't very noticeable and my hair is still relatively thick - so I'm wondering if not enough is getting on my scalp?

I know some people say you should start using it twice a day and then reduce to once a day after a year or so.. Has anyone else started with it only once a day and seen results?

Other than Rogaine, I am also using nizoral 2%, 2 - 3 times a week. Not considering propecia.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of getting results with once a day. I could be wrong though, and perhaps that's with only mild thinning.

minoxidil soaked into the scalp has an effectiveness of about (what is it, like 8 hours?) so twice a day is optimal. Also, your body does most of its repairing/regenerating while asleep so I imagine minoxidil soaking into your scalp overnight would not be any different and perhaps even be more effective. A person with a better knowledge of biology might be able to confirm that though.

Twice a day is always reccommended though, and the majority of success stories here are from twice a day alication with finasteride taken on the side.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thom said:
I have never heard of getting results with once a day. I could be wrong though, and perhaps that's with only mild thinning.

A number of times over the years, I've mentioned an old study by Olsen et al in which topical minoxidil was applied only once a day; it wasn't _quite_ as effective as the normal twice a day routine, but it was a serious study published in a medical journal.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should certainly try it twice a day for a decent period for the simple reason that if you don't you will always wonder 'what if'.

(Same reason I would never buy 2% minoxidil, because even if it did/didn't work, you would always wonder 'what if I'd used 5%')

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hairhoper said:
(Same reason I would never buy 2% minoxidil, because even if it did/didn't work, you would always wonder 'what if I'd used 5%')

2% Minoxidil TURNS INTO 5% minoxidil, when you apply it to the scalp. It just gives you a smaller amount! You could compensate for that smaller amount by simply applying a larger quantity of it. Afterwards, it becomes the same thing. The important question becomes, then, which version of Rogaine is cheaper per milligram of minoxidil.

Swopo

Reaction score
Bryan said:
hairhoper said:

2% Minoxidil TURNS INTO 5% minoxidil, when you apply it to the scalp. It just gives you a smaller amount! You could compensate for that smaller amount by simply applying a larger quantity of it. Afterwards, it becomes the same thing.

Where did you hear that?

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just go with 5% man, better results. I'm getting results after 2 months, twice a day.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Swopo said:
Bryan said:
2% Minoxidil TURNS INTO 5% minoxidil, when you apply it to the scalp. It just gives you a smaller amount! You could compensate for that smaller amount by simply applying a larger quantity of it. Afterwards, it becomes the same thing.

Where did you hear that?

I think it's common knowledge among experts. I saw some Upjohn scientists talking about it in a study having to do with Rogaine.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
hairhoper said:

2% Minoxidil TURNS INTO 5% minoxidil, when you apply it to the scalp. It just gives you a smaller amount! You could compensate for that smaller amount by simply applying a larger quantity of it. Afterwards, it becomes the same thing. The important question becomes, then, which version of Rogaine is cheaper per milligram of minoxidil.

2% minoxidil contains 20 mg / ml where as 5% contains 50 mg/ml So in theory if you apply 2.5 ml of the 2% the effect should be that of the 5% at 1 ml.