3 months down - experience and questions

Rahul Mehta

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got a hair system 3-4 months ago and it's been a life changing experience. I sat on this decision for years while lurking in these forums until I finally bit the bullet.

And it has not disappointed me. Transition was easier due to a change in complete social/prof circle (I'll leave the reasons out), and the few people from before the system that I did meet recently couldn't say what was different (I have also been focusing on fitness the past few months).

But even if someone did call it out, I wouldn't care because I love what I see in the mirror. My confidence has gone up 2000% (not an exaggeration), my mood is significantly better, anxiety is much lower and I can make friends much more easily.

However, it's been costly. I use a stylist that charges $850 for the system + cut in and $150-$200 for maintenance every 3 weeks.

I have two questions:
1. Should I transition to another stylist or alternating between self-maintenance and stylist visit? I just love my perfect look at the moment.
2. I do have some problems. Because of workouts and body chemistry, my system's hairline and one side of the crown starts to come off in 7-10 days. I try to control but become fidgety and it makes things worse. The stylist currently uses Ghost Bond Platinum - is there an alternate glue out there (Without compromising on safety). I was told tape would only last 2 weeks.

Thanks to all the people here, esp Noah for creating great content and answer questions over and over again! For anyone who's debating whether they should splurge on a system, feel free to ask your questions here or in DMs.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Rahul,

Yes, hair is powerful, and can really do amazing things to your self-esteem.

1. $850 including the system, and the cut-in is not outrageous, depending on where you live (I assume in USD, so the US).If you think you can handle the self-maintenance yourself, than lear to do it. It's not hard. If you like the stylist, stick with them. Good ones are hard to find.

2. 7-10 days is NOT unusual if you are working out. What does you stylist say? Maybe try a different type of bond? Tape can gold longer than two weeks, depending on which. If you work out, Ghost Bond Platinum is probably NOT for you, you need GhostBond XL.

Wayne08957

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Rahul,

Im just wondering how long did it take for you to start seeing results after the procedure? Did you do anything during this period of time?

Congrats again

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
i would highly recommend jumping into self maintenance.... i buy my systems online for around £200 each, cut the base , cut the hair, so all my own ( with alittle help from the other half ) to reattach etc. I had been going to a stylist in the UK who was charging me £45 for maintenance every 3 weeks and £80 for a new system install every 3-6 months depending. I was always hoping one day to start my own self maintenence but i was terrified.. until 2020!!! we all know what happened, and i was pushed into having to deal with it myself.. and i am SO glad .. its the best thing to come out of this crappy year for me!!! i am saving LOADS of money and i am now not relying on someone who i have to pay to do it! I work out every day , and i use tape of the sides and tape in the front now! i was using glue but its messy for clean up and i find replacing the tape on the front hairline SO quick , i can literally do it in 10mins every week to 10days when i feel it needs it. i am now getting a great hold for 3-4weeks on the rest.. honestly the trick is trying difference tapes and glue to find what works for you.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a salon and overall am very satisfied with them. One thing we did work on was the bond. I live in Texas; it's hot, the sun is brutal, and it played havoc on my bond. Even when wearing a hat.

It took as a good year to get my bond worked out. Ghostbond did not work for me. It would break down, seep thru the lace and 'gunked' up my hair. Lots of trial and error, but discovered that Devlin (green letters on bottle) is best on the hairline and about 1/3 way back. From there we tape on the perimeter and down the very center.

Like you I leave my system on longer than most people do, and I get away with it because I do the front hairline maintenance about every 5 days. I can go longer, but its harder to clean and prep for a reapplication. Once you get hairline maintenance down you can accomplish that in a matter of minutes.

Rahul Mehta

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Rahul,

Im just wondering how long did it take for you to start seeing results after the procedure? Did you do anything during this period of time?

Congrats again

It's immediate. Its a bunch of human hair already woven to an artificial piece of skin that they glue to your head. I was in an out of the salon in 2 hours.

My biggest fear was feeling underconfident about it in public. But honestly the only time I feel its fake is when I go in for maintenance (they clean the glue residue and reglue the thing back on)

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so all my own ( with alittle help from the other half )

I'm just curious - what does your other half think about you wearing a hair system, and were you open with her about it right from the start? I couldn't imagine telling a girl I date that I wear a hair system, though obviously if you're married and living together then it's a different story.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll tell you my experience.

I started seeing a girl and started wearing a couple of months later.

She knew it was going to happen and loves it!

I am currently not wearing and I hate it. I've got some skin irritation and it's just taking a long time to heal. Although I might even repeat this just to prolong the life of hair systems in the current climate.

roastedgarlic

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have ben wearing a hair system now for a year , I started of the same as you , getting it it cut and styled .It costed me around 200$ a month where I am . I bought the systems online which was about 300 a piece .Over the duration of the pandaemic , I have mostly been at home, so I have tried doing my own maintainance . It was exhillarating at first , but after a few tries it does work out fine. I bought a pair of clippers ,and now manage to do a fade as well , 200 $ is a years worth of supplies for attachment .
I still go to a stylist when I want to get a new system cut in .

I would highly recommend geting a wall mountable mirror from amazon , screw it ot the wall behind your mirror , it makes the whole process so much easier .

If you want to cut your hair as well ,I would recommend the self cut system , you could make one but I think buying it is worth the money .

Cheers ,Hope this helps :)