3.5 Months Finasteride Hair Line Much Worse

Aeroes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I've had slow mph for 8 years since 21

I've been on Finasteride for 3.5 months 0.50mg 3 x p.w(tried finasteride when I was 21 got sides from 1mg) I've noticed accelerated balding in my hairline (not imagining it) is this normal as I'm getting a bit nervous. I know it's one of those things doomed if you do, doomed if you don't. Has anyone noticed this and then a few months down the track it's better?

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Finasteride for 3.5 months 0.50mg 3 x p.w(tried finasteride when I was 21 got sides from 1mg) I've noticed accelerated balding in my hairline (not imagining it) is this normal as I'm getting a bit nervous. I know it's one of those things doomed if you do, doomed if you don't. Has anyone noticed this and then a few months down the track it's better?

We need pictures.

i) Have you been constantly shedding or was the shedding intermittent? If it is intermittent, I would assume chances of recovering are more likely than if you were constantly shedding.
ii) Have you performed blood tests to make sure your alopecia is male pattern baldness? Otherwise I would recommend to enquire on other potential sources of hair shedding.

There are both cases: people who do recover from an insane shedding when starting a fina/duta regimen and others who don't and get their hairline destroyed. There is no denying the latter exists. Tbh, I find it quite confusing. I would assume that the shedding on finasteride somehow means you are a sensitive to androgens (and hormonal fluctuations) but idk for sure. There are theories of hyperandrogenecity (when you have increased scalp itchiess, oily face and higher sex drive), when your body overreacts to the excess testosterone due to 5AR inhibition, but this just theory.

On my part, Finasteride has also caused shedding with no success over 7 months. I started with a decent density and reached a stage where I could see through my scalp in daylight. I eventually dropped due to sides but would have probably pursued otherwise. It's now been almost two months since I stopped and so far, my hair hasn't thickened. I did a blood test the other day and my T is still high.

Aeroes

Established Member
Reaction score
The weird part is I haven't noticed much hair falling out. I'll get some pics.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you performed blood tests to make sure your alopecia is male pattern baldness?
A blood test cannot indicate if an individual has male pattern baldness or not. It can affirm a hormonal imbalance which may be the cause behind finasteride side effects.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A blood test cannot indicate if an individual has male pattern baldness or not. It can affirm a hormonal imbalance which may be the cause behind finasteride side effects.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I meant it would be appropriate to first make sure there is no other explanation for hairloss (vitamin or iron deficiencies, thyroid malfunction etc.). If so, it could be that finasteride is not the adequate treatment.