2nd shed thread, back with updates. Old post was deleted?

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a very important subject amongst us hairloss big 3 users. I had an original post documenting my second shed. I have brought it back with some updates. I have been going through a serious second for about 3 months. I started finasteride last november (2011) and rogaine last march (2012). The shed was pretty rough. I have remained above baseline because of the drastic regrowth I had after the 3rd month of rogaine. Then when I began shedding my hairline took a rough density hit and I was losing many hairs a day. My temples continued to regrow and I think it's the new hairs that came in around month 3 of rogaine that stayed. However, my hair line was getting thinner and thinner and even falling back a slight bit. Around two weeks ago I noticed some new vellus hairs sprout up. They cover about a quarter inch of my temples and even the sides of my hairline. I hope these grow terminal. I'm still shedding quite a bit but it has slowed down a TAD. I'm soooo ready for this shed to finish up. It was brutal but hopefully ends well. My hair does look a tad better in some ways than it did a month ago. I'm obviously continuing treatment and will continually post on my updates for y'all who experience this. There you go.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey buddy, I think, like 65% sure, don't ask me were I got the number, lol, that my shed is starting to cease. The regrowth that I got on the third month of finasteride is still there, of course, and it seems to be getting thicker, again, it could be just the way I got my haircut, but HOPEFULLY, this is the end my shed, been happening since mid August.

:crazy:

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Yaaa buddy. Great stuff man. It always feels good to get out of the shed cause then you know you have at least 3 months of good times haha. My shed has been going on since like July/June. It's still going hard and it's pissing me off. It's like the sides and temples are regrowing but my hairline is taking a hit. I wish I had never started applying minoxidil on the hairline in the first place (only the temples). But I don't know. If this shed persists for another month or two I might have to reconsider. My hairline has taken such a freakin hit and is getting worse. The density of my hair is very low. A 4 month shed is not normal so I don't know if it's my normal day to day shed. If so, I'm not sure what to do. I wish other people would post about their second sheds. From what I've seen not a lot of people get the hair they had after the 1st shed. This **** sucks. And I don't know why my old thread was deleted. Who did that? This is a very very important thread because most people go through this second shed.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi..same here..I have been shedding since this July/August...and still pretty bad...lost density on top. This, I think, is my second shed. I am into 9 months on the Big Three...

inferiorgenetics

Reaction score
Exact same story. Been on the Big 3 since March and am experiencing a horrendous 2nd shed since Mid-August. It just hasn't stopped. Everytime I wash, comb, apply minoxidil, even run my fingers through I always end up with at least 10+ hairs coming out. I thought cutting my hair short would give my scalp less weight to carry but it didn't prevent anything. It almost sounds like this kind of thing is normal? How long do sheds generally last? This is like, 2.5 months of non-stop shedding

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Man, mine has been going one for nearly 4 months. It started in June/July. I'm losing like 10-20 hairs between showering and applying minoxidil. I think it may the fact that I'm having the year finasteride shed with the 6 month minoxidil shed at the same time. I've lost mad density on the hairline. Temples have covered up but it's thinner hair. I wish freakin finasteride would do it's thickening thing! It maybe a shampoo I was using. I've been washing with head and shoulders. I just hope I regain that density because I lost it quick. I was growing hair quick before this too.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, a little update. Still shedding terribly. I'm talking 15 hairs every time I apply minoxidil. They're all thick hairs as well. I have no clue what to do at this point. The shed should definitely be over and it's no where near that. I've lost **** tons of ground. What is happening? Somebody who has gone through the second shed please post an update. This is miserable. I have no clue how a shed can last 4 months. It's not slowing down at all. Could I be applying the minoxidil too roughly? I haven't changed how I apply it all. AHHHHHHH!

Stefan_88

Reaction score
Firstly, its really weird to understand, i was not shedding any hairs before treatments, i had some shedding phases after starting the treatment.

Minoxidil shedding during 4.5th-6months.
Finasteride 3-4.5 months.
Finasteride-Minoxidil 8-8.5 months.
Finasteride-Minoxidil 11-12 months.
Finasteride-Minoxidil 13-14th months.

i actually fed up with shedding hairs. My hairs started to look like crap, considering my right temple was rock solid before last shedding phase, now it thinned too much.

Hair looks so so for 1 months, then i start shedding and it looks crap after it. My status is so so.

i hope experienced users talks about this shedding phases.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Ya, not too many people post about their second shed. I think mine is going on for so long because it's the year shed of finasteride and the 6 month shed of minoxidil. I hope it ends soon because I'm losing ground. I have been getting a lot of complements on my hair lately however. We'll see. Sorry that you've been going through tough **** man. Hairloss is no bueno.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya, not too many people post about their second shed. I think mine is going on for so long because it's the year shed of finasteride and the 6 month shed of minoxidil. I hope it ends soon because I'm losing ground. I have been getting a lot of complements on my hair lately however. We'll see. Sorry that you've been going through tough **** man. Hairloss is no bueno.

Me too, I was out with friends last night, and I'm rocking a new hair style to hide the thinning along my hairline, and some really hot missus was looking at my hair, I started to get paranoid as I thought from standing under a bright light at the bar that it would be looking ****, and she said she liked it, put a smile on my face and boosted my confidence.

Still looks oh so terrible when wet though. I really hope I get back to where I was around April-July of this year ... I WANNA SPIKE MY HAIR UP AGAIN!! :uglylol:

If nothing changes by the new year, I'm ditching my Finpecia I bought online and getting a script from a doctor and taking 1.25mg. My hair isn't bad enough to warrant starting minoxidil, so finasteride and nizoral will suffice for now.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Me too, I was out with friends last night, and I'm rocking a new hair style to hide the thinning along my hairline, and some really hot missus was looking at my hair, I started to get paranoid as I thought from standing under a bright light at the bar that it would be looking ****, and she said she liked it, put a smile on my face and boosted my confidence.

Ya the not having the density aspect is the worst. I've still been getting tons of poon tang lately (last 7 weekends in a row haha) but want to see my hair get back to where it was. It's hard to take when you can't style it anymore. It's even harder to take when you've been shedding for 4 months. sdfsd

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Alrighty guys. I have good news. Yes, my density has been smacked, yes I'm still shedding a little, and yes my hairline has receded some but I just checked my temples and there is a ****TON of new regrowth. I would have been happy with my hair the way it was but this new regrowth is astonishing. I'm getting thin but an inch long hairs about half an inch infront of my temple line and TONS of them. Its more so on the left temple than the right but a lot on both. If this fills in I could seriously be a NW1. I'm praying this freaking 5 month shed is over with and that these hairs turn thick like my last temple growth. I'm very happy. However, my hair still looks like **** after this last thread. I just wanted to post an update showing to people that you have to be consistent, strong, and continue your regimen through tough times. I've never seen anybody post about having a shed like I had (5 months) but it may all be worth it!

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
So an update. I was stoked last time because of the regrowth I saw. It was just a shimmer of hope. So at this point my hair has taken a massive hit. I can still style it to be decent but it's harder. I'm pretty scared and the new hair that is replacing the shed on my hairline is much thinner. I am not sure if this is proof that rogaine hasn't worked for my hairline and will continue applying it. I hope that finasteride thickness comes in as I have been on it for 13 months. However, I think, and I say this lightly, that my shed has ended. For the past 6 days I haven't had a significant shed at all. When I apply rogaine and shower I only see 5-10 hairs total during these two processes. It's very similar to how it was when I had that fantastic regrowth. SO can my hair recover from this massive shed? Only time will tell. Until then, I'll keep y'all posted. I hope this second shed thred has provided y'all with a first hand account of the second shed and it's bs.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
keep us posted bro. i don't have great answers for ya but i will say that i've spoken to quite a few people, who like you and i, have been hit real hard by the second shed - which also seems to be the shed people don't know so much about.
good luck.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
So just an update guys, my hairloss hasn't gotten any better. I've been shedding bad since last summer (almost a whole year). My hair has gotten incredibly thin and you can see the front of my scalp in the sun. Also, it's gotten very difficult to style my hair. I don't know what to do honestly. I've been doing the exact same thing everyday, a quarter of proscar and rogain foam at the morning and night. So if anyone else has had a shed like this let me know. I don't know how I could have gotten such good results and then it all goes away so quickly. my hairline has never been this bad. It's even starting to go back now, and small tiny hairs are now replacing the thick ones and my hairline is creeping back. Not sure what to do. I may start doing liquid minoxidil at night.

mladen

Reaction score
It might be that you are not finasteride responder at all and your gains were from minoxidil only.Are you worse than baseline, or just worse then one year ago? What about your crown and mid scalp? My second minoxidil shed has started as early as end of 4th month. I had great results in between. So I added finasteride 1.5 month ago. Now I'm shedding even worse, around 300 hairs a day. Also losing some thick regrowth now when I am on finasteride too. Maybe finasteride is not for everyone, only time will tell.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the finasteride, I've been on that for about 1 and a half years+. I'm now shedding terribly bad. I have quit creatine, and changed to liquid minoxidil and my hair is not even stylable now. Very sad. I don't know what to do at this point. I think I'm going to get a hair transplant for my graduation gift. I can't take this. I've lost massive amount of hair the last year. It had slowed down but now is very very bad.

rcom440

Reaction score
Do you guys think taking 5g. of creatine can affect hairloss? I used to take creatine 2 years ago while on minoxidil at night, spironolactone, Nizoral and hair signals and I didn't see any shed that could be caused by creatine.
BTW. I went through around 5 sheds since I started my regime 4 years ago and everytime I was able to regrow my hair. Now I'm also going through shed, my right temple got hit bad but I'm positive I will regrow it as I see new hair growing back. The density is still low but it will change with time.

- - - Updated - - -

shocktop311, don't change your regime too often it could cause sheds. Maybe you don't give enough time for it to work before changing it. Switching from foam to liquid minoxidil most likely will cause shed which will take some time (everyone is different) then you will see regrow and results.
Wish you luck and regrow.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know what its like. I am in the same boat. I have been on the Big Three for 16 months now and things are bad, real bad. I shed all the time and it's nearly impossible to style my hair now. it is mentally and physically exhausting standing in the mirror and doing my hair for like an hour (well..more like 30 minutes! and my arms literally get tired). The worst thing is now you think you are ready to go out and check your hair in the mirror for the last time and now it is very sunny outside but you don't mind because you have already checked your hair hundreds times and then you see your reflection in a shop window under the bright sun light and now you are horrified by the fact that you see your scalp through and the whole time you felt confident and all not knowthing this..this sucks big time!!