28yo is this reversible?

Giant.midget

Reaction score
Hi,

so I'm 28 and having been losing my hair probably since I was 18, although I was in denial about this for quite some time. I started using minoxidil maybe 3 and half years ago and have seen limited results, my hair is no longer falling out but I've only been able to grow some vellus hairs which don't turn in to hairs of my natural colour. I also tried propecia for a couple of months some time ago, but the side affects and the risk to my baby making abilities have completely put me off especially as Ill be hoping to conceive in the next couple of years.

When end I was younger I used to straighten my hair, when that whole emo fringe thing was big! I realise now that was a very stupid thing to do with my hairline and has probably made some permanent damage.

My my routine is currently minoxidil daily and I had been using either alpecin or nanogen shampoos to thicken hair, I realise now they do little for male pattern baldness. I've recently changed to a shampoo containing ketoconazole. I also take biotin. I have had over recent months 2 or 3 comments from people I've not seen for a while that my hair is looking fuller, which has given me some confidence that I might be able to grown back some lost hair.

I don't think I'll ever be able to improve my hairline, but I was wondering what my chances where of filling in the gap at the front and back where I have thin strands of hair? And what I should be using to do this. I've read some things about castor oil which look promising.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 468
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 410
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 375
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 419
T

tellersquill

Are you planning on taking propecia?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you planning on taking propecia?

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try topical spironolactone / revivogen combination.

Or look into RU58841. Its effective. Yet never got publicly released. So it's sold as a research chemical.

Last edited by a moderator:

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, the side effects worry me.

You will never reverse this without trying to manage you androgen activity. THIS is what is miniaturizing your hair. Finasteride, Dutasteride, RU58841... you MAY be able to reverse SOME of it with one of these. That's all we have brother. If you're worried about sides, you can attempt topicals, like RU. Otherwise, no you will not be able to reverse anything and your hair loss will continue.

Giant.midget

Reaction score
Then how do you expect to reverse it???

Im not sure, that's why I'm asking for advice!

- - - Updated - - -

You will never reverse this without trying to manage you androgen activity. THIS is what is miniaturizing your hair. Finasteride, Dutasteride, RU58841... you MAY be able to reverse SOME of it with one of these. That's all we have brother. If you're worried about sides, you can attempt topicals, like RU. Otherwise, no you will not be able to reverse anything and your hair loss will continue.

Thank you, I'm not aware of RU58841 so will look in to this.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
My my routine is currently minoxidil daily and I had been using either alpecin or nanogen shampoos to thicken hair, I realise now they do little for male pattern baldness. I've recently changed to a shampoo containing ketoconazole. I also take biotin. I have had over recent months 2 or 3 comments from people I've not seen for a while that my hair is looking fuller, which has given me some confidence that I might be able to grown back some lost hair.

I don't think I'll ever be able to improve my hairline, but I was wondering what my chances where of filling in the gap at the front and back where I have thin strands of hair? And what I should be using to do this. I've read some things about castor oil which look promising.

I think it's definitely possible that you could regrow those areas of your scalp with thinning hair. However, you won't know unless you try an effective treatment for at least six months consistently.

That being said, probably the best thing to start on is a combination of minoxidil and finasteride, which together produces a strong effect on hair growth (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12227482). If there are still some dormant hairs, consistent use of these two treatments for at least six months should revive them. If you are worried about the side effects of finasteride, you can try taking a half dosage (0.5 mg/day) or even a quarter dosage (0.25 mg/day) or look into topical finasteride.

Ketoconazole shampoo is a good thing to use as well, but only the 2% concentration is truly effective when it comes to male pattern baldness (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/helpful/).

There's nothing wrong with using biotin, but you shouldn't expect it to do too much, as there have been no studies demonstrating its efficacy for male pattern baldness specifically (at least that I am aware of). The same applies to castor oil. While it may help hair growth in other ways, I have not seen evidence that it can preserve hair susceptible to male pattern baldness. So don't rely on it in place of the treatments that have actually been shown to slow or stop male pattern baldness.

You might also consider trying low-level laser therapy (LLLT), as there seems to be some evidence it can help enhance hair growth as well (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/ca...stop-further-hair-loss-maintain-current-hair/).

So when it comes to giving your best shot at regrowing the hairs in those thinner areas, I think your best bet is the following:

Minoxidil 5%
Finasteride (at least 0.2 mg/day) or topical finasteride
A 200+ diode laser cap (optional)
2% ketoconazole shampoo (optional)

- - - Updated - - -

Try topical spironolactone / revivogen combination.

I'm skeptical of the ability of Revivogen to address male pattern baldness. First, I don't think there has been any published study demonstrating its efficacy. The reviews are also mixed on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Revivogen-Sca...ll_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent).

Of course, one could go about testing this by using it consistently for six months to see if there are any results. But for now, I am skeptical of its effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
You may be able to get some regrowth with Finasteride and Minoxidil in areas where hair loss occurred recently.

Giant.midget

Reaction score
I think it's definitely possible that you could regrow those areas of your scalp with thinning hair. However, you won't know unless you try an effective treatment for at least six months consistently.

That being said, probably the best thing to start on is a combination of minoxidil and finasteride, which together produces a strong effect on hair growth (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12227482). If there are still some dormant hairs, consistent use of these two treatments for at least six months should revive them. If you are worried about the side effects of finasteride, you can try taking a half dosage (0.5 mg/day) or even a quarter dosage (0.25 mg/day) or look into topical finasteride.

Ketoconazole shampoo is a good thing to use as well, but only the 2% concentration is truly effective when it comes to male pattern baldness (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/helpful/).

There's nothing wrong with using biotin, but you shouldn't expect it to do too much, as there have been no studies demonstrating its efficacy for male pattern baldness specifically (at least that I am aware of). The same applies to castor oil. While it may help hair growth in other ways, I have not seen evidence that it can preserve hair susceptible to male pattern baldness. So don't rely on it in place of the treatments that have actually been shown to slow or stop male pattern baldness.

You might also consider trying low-level laser therapy (LLLT), as there seems to be some evidence it can help enhance hair growth as well (https://attackplan.wordpress.com/ca...stop-further-hair-loss-maintain-current-hair/).

So when it comes to giving your best shot at regrowing the hairs in those thinner areas, I think your best bet is the following:

Minoxidil 5%
Finasteride (at least 0.2 mg/day) or topical finasteride
A 200+ diode laser cap (optional)
2% ketoconazole shampoo (optional)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm skeptical of the ability of Revivogen to address male pattern baldness. First, I don't think there has been any published study demonstrating its efficacy. The reviews are also mixed on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Revivogen-Sca...ll_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent).

Of course, one could go about testing this by using it consistently for six months to see if there are any results. But for now, I am skeptical of its effectiveness.

thanks, some solid advice there. I'm going to give finasteride another go and see how I get on. I'll post updates.

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Even with propecia there is nothing fully guaranteed; it could go either way really or just remain at the same level (which is still considered a success in itself). So without propecia the only option is going thinner at the rate you currently are; so if you're fully comfortable with that fact then don't bother I guess.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
1.Propecia+minoxidil+hair transplant
2.Hairpiece
3.nothing.