28M - Give it to me straight, too late?

rosswold

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noticed I was losing a lot of hair back in 2015. Don't have any pictures back then, but saw a dermatologist and ended up trying minoxidil and ketoconazole for a good while. Was too afraid of trying finasteride because of the horror stories regarding the harsh side effects. 7 years of not going out in public without a hat later, I feel like I've had enough and might want to finally take the plunge on finasteride. My question is, is it too late for me now? Definitely kicking myself by not starting much sooner.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 226
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 226

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noticed I was losing a lot of hair back in 2015. Don't have any pictures back then, but saw a dermatologist and ended up trying minoxidil and ketoconazole for a good while. Was too afraid of trying finasteride because of the horror stories regarding the harsh side effects. 7 years of not going out in public without a hat later, I feel like I've had enough and might want to finally take the plunge on finasteride. My question is, is it too late for me now? Definitely kicking myself by not starting much sooner.
Its DEFINATELY too late for finasteride. That drug mostly just maintain your existing hairs than give regrowth. Its rare for regrowth but happens but not in many and it should be used Early into hairloss to get regrowth. You are too far gone. Try oral minoxidill 5mg once a day since topical didnt work out for you. Or just shave and get tattoos lol.. and Accept your crappy genes.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride doesn’t regrow hair, it only maintains it. finasteride has no action on hair follicles, it blocks DHT which lets hair follicles breathe and live that were getting butchered by DHT. You can try minoxidil which can regrow hair but you’ve parts of head that are shiny = possibly dead follicles, still it’s unpredictable some people get super growth.

You’re a nw6 and it seems with a good donor hair. Your hairs on the front seem to have survived so you should get a very good coverage and even density. A hair transplant is a good option too

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride doesn’t regrow hair, it only maintains it. finasteride has no action on hair follicles, it blocks DHT which lets hair follicles breathe and live that were getting butchered by DHT. You can try minoxidil which can regrow hair but you’ve parts of head that are shiny = possibly dead follicles, still it’s unpredictable some people get super growth.

You’re a nw6 and it seems with a good donor hair. Your hairs on the front seem to have survived so you should get a very good coverage and even density. A hair transplant is a good option too
Saw a kid with a badly receeded hairline on reddit and finasteride alone regrew back his hairline so its possible but super rare

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unless you're a hyper responder, finasteride won't do much in your case. At this point if you want to have any sort of coverage you will more than likely need to get a hair transplant. You should see a reputable transplant surgeon in your area and have your donor area assessed. Personally I wouldn't even bother with treatment until you've done so, because without a transplant you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
It's too late, yes, definitely for a conventional approach. You'd need finasteride/dutasteride + minoxidil + microneedling + a significant transplant to have a chance at coming back from this (to nw3)

Ajamilo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's too late, yes, definitely for a conventional approach. You'd need finasteride/dutasteride + minoxidil + microneedling + a significant transplant to have a chance at coming back from this (to nw3)
Naah he could get the norwood 2 easily if he has a good donor. He has curly hairs and that is a good sign for the "illusion" of density. But he cant go to turkey tho and have to choose zagrev for fue or a long FUT scar sadly so he can get 6000-7000 grafts.
I regrow my hair with Oral minoxidil and finasteride. I guess if he add Microneedling and topical minoxidil he can easily get back to norwood 4

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try microneedling & minoxidil , people have come back from your loss to NW2 - very rare. Then if you want to risk it throw in finasteride

mald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try microneedling & minoxidil , people have come back from your loss to NW2 - very rare. Then if you want to risk it throw in finasteride
cope its not possible to come back from norwood 5.5 without a transplant

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As Terry Funk sings, “Don’t give up, don’t give up, don’t give up”
You have a nice patch of hair in front, but it’s little faded/degraded. Wish there was a simple answer