28 Yr Male Starting Minoxidil Again After 2 Years On finasteride (photos)

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been creeping these forums for a few years now, finally decided to lay it all out to help me track my hair loss/growth. Okay here we go:

Age 18: Began hair recession.
Age 23: Started Minoxidil for 8 months, saw no results so I dropped it.

Age 26: Decided to get a hair transplant. Dr. Sara Wasserbauer put me on 1mg Finasteride. From her exam she saw "60% miniaturization and significantly decreased density indicating Norwood Class IIIav, the density in the back of your scalp was above average, about 70-80 FU/cm2 with <10% miniaturization"

A month later I got a FUE of 1900 hairs to my front side to fill in my hairline. See PRE-OP photos:

PreOp  2.jpeg
PreOp 4.png

Transplant went well, except I had a lot of hair loss to my native hairs at the hairline. Pretty sure all thats on my hairline now is the planted hair. While being on Finasteride for 2 years, I maintained my crown decently. However I feel like I'm very slowly thinning more and more. Here are some progress photos:

6 Months Post Op:
6 months 3.png

1 Year Post Op (And checkup by different Dr... She said I should get on minoxidil, I said I've been on it before with no results. But also I wasn't on finasteride at the time. Nocrown photo sry.
12 MONTHS post.png
12 Months 2.png

Starting to see the thinning up there. Kept my hair really short thin on sides, thought it looked good lol.

24 Months Post OP Took photos last week
20 months 5.png
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG

About 5 months ago I started Nizoral 1% everyday, saw some thinning and went to 2/3 times a week.
I just started Minoxidil Liquid 5% Once daily at night 2 days ago.

So I'm taking/using:
Finasteride 1mg Once Daily (No sides)
Minoxidil 5% Liquid Once Daily (1.5mL)
Nizoral 1% (2/3 Times weekly) (Leave in scalp 3-5mins)
Daily Vitamin (Once Daily)
Fish Oil (Once Daily)
Biotin 5mg (Once Daily)
Curcumin/Turmeric (Once Daily)

Comments, suggestions welcome!

Thanks ya'll. :)

Attachments

• 20 Months 1.png
    20 Months 1.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 722
  • 20 Months 2.png
    20 Months 2.png
    176 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
looks like the transplant went well! that look works for you. finasteride and minoxidil might give you even more coverage. stick with it.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wanted to share some better close-up photos from today without the bathroom light (just camera flash). Only 3 nights into Minoxidil.

Back.PNG Front.JPG Left.JPG Right.jpg

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it all over the top of my scalp.
~1.5ml and just dab it everywhere, then rub/massage that in. I usually do it a couple hours before bed to let it dry; I don't want to wake up as a raccoon.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Random question as you're a younger guy: has any girl you've dated or hooked up with commented on your crown? What was ur response?

Sorry if I missed it but did u do fue or fut?

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Friends have mentioned things but it never really affected me dating wise. Once it started getting to a noticeable point, I started using Toppik and thats when quite a few friends started asking about what I'm doing to my hair- in which I just say I'm using rogaine (which I am).

I remember one time walking into work with a female working running to catch up to me to head in together. Sun was right above me, she goes something like "wow I never noticed you're balding in the back!" I was defeated... If there weren't people around I would of shaved her head in the streets.. jk. But I said something like "yea I know, it sucks". If you own it and still show your confidence it honestly doesn't matter. AS LONG as you have a haircut that makes it look like YOU are in control. Not the hair loss.

I did an FUE. I did not want a scar as I enjoy doing a 1 on the sides.

PS. Hairloss barely noticeable with Toppik on. I don't go outside without it anymore though which is kind of annoying. But it honestly just takes 5 mins and my confidence rises tremendously.

Betacode08

My Regimen
Reaction score
How was your whole experience with Dr. Sara Wasserbauer? And if you dont mind, how much did it cost? I live in the SF bay area and Im looking for a hair transplant surgeon. Your info will help tremendously.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How was your whole experience with Dr. Sara Wasserbauer? And if you dont mind, how much did it cost? I live in the SF bay area and Im looking for a hair transplant surgeon. Your info will help tremendously.
The whole process was great. I still email her to this day. She is fairly expensive though, I paid $13,000 for 1900 FUE.
I would recommend trying to have it lowered once they quote you, sometimes they will (I've heard). Or pay in cash, which should lower it too.

As far as the transplant. Unfortunately I lost a lot of my native hair. I still have the transplanted hair though which is great, however DHT is slowly taking it's toll on these as well. Not the Dr's fault though. Just my shitty genes.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think adding dermastamp to your crown would really do you wonders. If you can just fill that in you’d look like zero hair loss without topik

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think adding dermastamp to your crown would really do you wonders. If you can just fill that in you’d look like zero hair loss without topik
This post was over a year and half ago.
Right now my regimen is:

Dermaroll once a week
Minoxidil 5% once a night (2ml)
Finasteride 1mg daily
Hydrocortisone 1% every other day
Ketoconazole 1% shampoo every other day

I also don't use Toppik anymore. I blend light brown and medium brown of Dermmatch and you can't tell I'm balding at all. Pretty much staying steady at the moment.

Betacode08

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Pephair. She is relatively unknown in the forums here so your info was greatly appreciated. I am going to schedule a consultation with her soon.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This post was over a year and half ago.
Right now my regimen is:

Dermaroll once a week
Minoxidil 5% once a night (2ml)
Finasteride 1mg daily
Hydrocortisone 1% every other day
Ketoconazole 1% shampoo every other day

I also don't use Toppik anymore. I blend light brown and medium brown of Dermmatch and you can't tell I'm balding at all. Pretty much staying steady at the moment.

Mind posting updated pics? I’d like to see the results