28 Yo F Unspecified Telogen Effluvium/female Pattern Baldness - Theories?

J222

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 28yo female, active/healthy diet/healthy weight, and I have had chronic Telogen Effluvium/female pastern baldness since age 25.

When it Began: I was 2 weeks post-op from a deviated septum sx, I lost 8lbs and my periods became irregular. About a month later I noticed thinning, I never say a doctor until after 3-4 months. Treatment regimen: Rogain 5% mens formula foam. Hair loss resolved after 2 weeks (amazing)...about 3 months later hair loss continued and rogain was no longer helping.

About 1 year later: Began seeing dermatologist, started spironolatone 50mg, eventually 100mg after no changes.

Note that: my hair grows longer, baby hairs grow in and are noticeable on the frontal scalp, but fall out, and hair continues thinning. And within the first 1-2yrs my hair loss would come and go up until almost a year ago it has been continuous and gets thinner every time I shower.

About 2 years later: began PRP for 1 full year. No noticeable changes.

About 2.5 years later: began taking 150mg of spironolactone and added 15% minoxidl (caffeine + retinol formula). No noticeable changes in thickness, but hair grows longer at double the rate. - I had a biopsy that was negative for Telogen Effluvium and Androgenetic Alopecia.

I tried the laser helmet for 5 months, nothing. I wash my hair daily with Nioxin thinning system. I am very frustrated because doctors keep brushing it off as stress related and most of them try to tell me that my hair is fine (I've read of instances like that numerous times, you're issue is just brushed off out the door because nobody knows). I DO NOT believe I have chronic stress that would be causing this.

I was diagnosed with PCOS recently, based on a high testosterone level, high SHBG, and fluctuating hormone labs over the past 3 years. I was on sprintec for 3 years and stopped it 2 months ago, along with cymbalta 30mg which I was taking for joint pain that is no very bothersome (but have discontinued to see if they are contributing; joint pain has no diagnoses as no one knows whats causing that either, but cymbalta helped). My iron is low normal so I take an iron supplement daily along with: VD, biotin, Zn, hair skin and nails sup. (with Vit. E and C), metformin for pcos, DIM supplement, MSM, fish oil.

I have been tested for every autoimmune disease you can think of. I have exhausted all options. Does anyone have any theories on this?

J222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could this be related to the sprintec? Hair fall began 3 years ago same time sprintec was started?

I started the sprintec because irregular menses which began the same month as the hair loss. I've been off it for 2 months now, I think It's the pcos but no one seems to understand. The pattern of the loss is the same as female pattern baldness (aka male pattern baldness), so after all the labs and stuff I've had tested I'm pretty sure its the pcos. the gynecologist says my testosterone is on the high side of normal, which would be fine if I were a male. Idk, It's frustrating.