27 Yo Male With Norwood 4 Baldness. Need Advice.

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

I am a 27 yo male and have been losing hair for almost last 10 years. I didn't care about my hair loss for a long time as I wasn't fully aware of what male pattern baldness is and how it will progress but after having lost quite some hair, I feel a bit worried about the situation.

Anyway, I started a regimen of Dutasteride 0.5mg everyday along with Minoxidil 5% daily twice (2 weeks in). While I know the results are different for every individual, do you guys think that an improvement is possible for me. I don't want to go for transplant straightaway and evaluating other options like PRP.

I have attached two pics - one with full lights & flash and the other without flash.

I am not expecting to improve the already receded hairline or temples and will be more than happy if I can get full coverage of crown and mid-scalp area.

Please let me know your thoughts guys.

Thanks!!!
unnamed (2).jpg
View attachment 58354

Last edited:

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you're taking an aggressive but needed regimen for your current hair loss; you should see some good results.
Why skip Finasteride and go straight to Dutasteride though? Did a doctor prescribe this?

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Doctor asked me to use Dutasteride because he said that I have lost a lot of hair and Dutasteride is more effective than Finasteride.

I am thinking of using Dutasteride for 7-8 months to get maximum benefit and then shift to Finasteride later irrespective of whether I get results or not just to be a bit safe.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you don't see any side effects with the dutasteride and you see great results then keep charging! Good luck.

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Before_After.png
If you don't see any side effects with the dutasteride and you see great results then keep charging! Good luck.

These are the results after using dutasteride & minoxidil for 10 weeks along with 2 sessions of PRP. Let me know what you feel about the results.

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd be wary of choosing a procedure like PRP. The reviews are very mixed, a lot of them disfavouring the treatment as some feel it actually aggravated their loss. I don't think it's FDA approved either which says a lot. Do plenty of research before investing a lot of money into something that isn't fully proven to work.

As for your current regimen, you look as though you're already experiencing fast, positive results so keep doing what you're doing! If I was you I'd look into maybe visiting a transplant clinic in the future depending on how well your hair loss stabilises. This would likely help and speed the process of thickening your hair.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good results

Are you from India by chance? It seems like doctors/derms are more willing to prescribe off label meds like dutasteride for hair loss and they seem better informed.

Do u use generic dutasteride? If so, which one?

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good results

Are you from India by chance? It seems like doctors/derms are more willing to prescribe off label meds like dutasteride for hair loss and they seem better informed.

Do u use generic dutasteride? If so, which one?
Yes. I am from India. Doctors here are not governed by FDA and are thus willing to suggest medication which has worked in the past despite no FDA approval. I am using the generic version of Dutasteride 0.5mg marketed by Dr. Reddy's Laboratories under the brand label "Dutas". Apart from Dutas and Minoxidil, I am also doing a cyclic therapy of essential vitamins & nutrients. The cycle is as follows:

Day 1: Vitamin B complex with Zinc (Cobadex-z) and Iron (Autrin)
Day 2: Gamma Linolenic Acid (Keraglo Men) and Vitamin E (Evion 400)
Day 3: Amino acid complex (Aminofit)

I repeat this cycle from Mon - Sat. No medicine other than Dutas on Sunday. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd be wary of choosing a procedure like PRP. The reviews are very mixed, a lot of them disfavouring the treatment as some feel it actually aggravated their loss. I don't think it's FDA approved either which says a lot. Do plenty of research before investing a lot of money into something that isn't fully proven to work.

As for your current regimen, you look as though you're already experiencing fast, positive results so keep doing what you're doing! If I was you I'd look into maybe visiting a transplant clinic in the future depending on how well your hair loss stabilises. This would likely help and speed the process of thickening your hair.

Thanks for the advice Jack. I started my treatment with a fair bit of skepticism believing that I will need a hair transplant eventually. However, I am pretty happy with the results so far and believe that my hair transplant is maybe pushed out by a few years if these hair stabilize.

I had an aggravated hair loss just after PRP but those are miniaturizing hair falling out to give birth to new ones. Personally, I would highly recommend PRP. If there is nothing to gain from it, there is nothing to lose either as it is a safe treatment which uses your own platelets. The treatment is working out to be pretty cheap as PRP is costing INR 4,000 ($60) per sitting compared to a hair transplant which will go north of $2,500.

Last edited:

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
great result man !
this is mainly the minoxidil at this stage i guess .
Thanks Michel! I have been told that the combination of Minoxidil, Dutasteride and PRP has a multiplicative effect instead of additive. I am not sure what exactly is working for me (probably it's all three), but I will continue the current regimen.

Last edited:

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. I am from India. Doctors here are not governed by FDA and are thus willing to suggest medication which has worked in the past despite no FDA approval. I am using the generic version of Dutasteride 0.5mg marketed by Dr. Reddy's Laboratories under the brand label "Dutas". Apart from Dutas and Minoxidil, I am also using a cyclic therapy of essential vitamins & nutrients. The cycle is as follows:

Day 1: Vitamin B complex with Zinc (Cobadex-z) and Iron (Autrin)
Day 2: Gamma Linolenic Acid (Keraglo Men) and Vitamin E (Evion 400)
Day 3: Amino acid complex (Aminofit)

I repeat this cycle from Mon - Sat. No medicine other than Dutas on Sunday. Hope this helps.

Interesting. What is the purpose of the vitamins and nutrients? To aid in healthier hair or help provide regrowth? Do u use nizoral shampoo? It's an easy and good addition (has a few good studies backing up its efficacy. You only need to use it 2-3 times a week.

I think you'll be very pleased by your results by 6 months and more so a year.

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. What is the purpose of the vitamins and nutrients? To aid in healthier hair or help provide regrowth? Do u use nizoral shampoo? It's an easy and good addition (has a few good studies backing up its efficacy. You only need to use it 2-3 times a week.

I think you'll be very pleased by your results by 6 months and more so a year.
While Minoxidil and Dutasteride provide the right environment for hair to regrow, nutrients are the actual building blocks for them. I am using a Ketoconazole shampoo but a generic one (Exizol from Sun Pharmaceutical; $4 for 50ml) instead of Nizoral which is way more expensive.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's pretty fast! You're a good responder. Give it a year and then decide if you want transplants. I doubt you will want to bother at this rate.

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pisses me off how well some people respond to drugs like min and dutasteride, all I got was feeling like I had mental problems. Good results man probably some of the best I've seen, it seems that diffusers are the luckiest when it comes to a certain male pattern baldness pattern.

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pisses me off how well some people respond to drugs like min and dutasteride, all I got was feeling like I had mental problems. Good results man probably some of the best I've seen, it seems that diffusers are the luckiest when it comes to a certain male pattern baldness pattern.
Bro I have also done 4 sessions of PRP which seems to really helped because Minoxidil doesn't cause much regrowth on front scalp (that's what my dermat told me). If you look at the pics closely, you will notice that most benefit has come in the front area only. May be you should also try PRP.