.25mg finasteride journey

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been 1 year on Propecia and unfortunately the treatments seem to just slow down progression and not stop it. Not sure what the hell to do now.

I feel like I've gained some thickness in the crown and midscalp area but the hair line is convincingly worse. Even the right side which seemed fine at the beginning is getting worse.

So my question now is, is it possible that the hair line was too late to save and I will need surgery in the future? Will I still stop losing ground at some point and stabilize?

It really sucks that even the best treatment for hair loss won't even stabilize me at 32 for 1 f*****g year.
In the traditional balding pattern (not diffuse thinning), the hair closer to your hairline is more sensitive to androgens. This is why it's the first thing to go. Even on treatments, you will more than likely lose a good chunk of your hairline over the years (unless you have mild hair loss). That's where transplants come in.

Here's an example:

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the traditional balding pattern (not diffuse thinning), the hair closer to your hairline is more sensitive to androgens. This is why it's the first thing to go. Even on treatments, you will more than likely lose a good chunk of your hairline over the years (unless you have mild hair loss). That's where transplants come in.

Here's an example:

Hopefully you are right. It's just that I've been on treatment for 1 year and that guy is 50 and was probably on treatment at a later age and has less aggressive hair loss.

I hear a lot about seasonal sheds. Maybe it's that, idk.

I'm going to stick to treatment obviously. I read somewhere that finasteride won't save hair that is beyond 50% dermapapilla loss (from the hair loss show). Maybe the area of my hair line was doomed by the time I started. The crown area and midscalp area has improved and I'm told this by family and friends.

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hopefully you are right. It's just that I've been on treatment for 1 year and that guy is 50 and was probably on treatment at a later age and has less aggressive hair loss.

I hear a lot about seasonal sheds. Maybe it's that, idk.

I'm going to stick to treatment obviously. I read somewhere that finasteride won't save hair that is beyond 50% dermapapilla loss (from the hair loss show). Maybe the area of my hair line was doomed by the time I started. The crown area and midscalp area has improved and I'm told this by family and friends.
This is true as a general rule of thumb. There are people on more extreme regimens such as HRT, and they in some cases regrow their entire hairline. You'd have to be completely insane to do that though.

Same thing happened to me; I take 1mg EOD and it froze my hair loss in place, but some of the hair on my temples and in the frontal forelock region that were notably miniaturized are probably done for.

I would wait at least until the 2 year mark before you decide what to do because that's when the results plateau.