.25mg finasteride journey

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This shedding is killing me. Got a refill of prescription but switched from generics to brand propecia. f*****g 3x the cost but whatever.

Not sure if anyone has experience with this but is the shedding mainly in the regions that are thinning or is it just uniform?
That sad thing is that you have to ride it out or you will curtail improvement. I advise everyone using any hormonal med and maybe oral min too, to have a back-up plan to ride it out meaning for MtF's wigs and for XY's either systems, hats or shaving until things get back on course. At least for XY's, crew cuts look decent. For MtF's, it can take two years to reach any sort of even androgynous hair length.

Understanding Shedding and Hair Loss Treatment

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
That sad thing is that you have to ride it out or you will curtail improvement. I advise everyone using any hormonal med and maybe oral min too, to have a back-up plan to ride it out meaning for MtF's wigs and for XY's either systems, hats or shaving until things get back on course. At least for XY's, crew cuts look decent. For MtF's, it can take two years to reach any sort of even androgynous hair length.

Understanding Shedding and Hair Loss Treatment
Thank you. This article was helpful.

being_optimistic

My Regimen
Reaction score
This shedding is killing me. Got a refill of prescription but switched from generics to brand propecia. f*****g 3x the cost but whatever.

Not sure if anyone has experience with this but is the shedding mainly in the regions that are thinning or is it just uniform?
Hey, in my experience. The shedding is mainly uniform. I can shed hair sometimes in the non-DHT sensitive zones.

Last edited:

being_optimistic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could that just be regular shedding? My hairline has lost so much ground in the last 6 weeks.
I'm not sure frankly. The hair just feels way more vulnerable as compared to normal, and I could easily pull out hairs just by tugging my hair.

About your hair shed, maybe that's a good sign. I have seen previous threads where a large shed equates to a good recovery after. I think you should still grind through this as this could be your initial shedding phase. I feel like my shedding phase was in smaller cycles, roughly 2 weeks when it comes.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure frankly. The hair just feels way more vulnerable as compared to normal, and I could easily pull out hairs just by tugging my hair.

About your hair shed, maybe that's a good sign. I have seen previous threads where a large shed equates to a good recovery after. I think you should still grind through this as this could be your initial shedding phase. I feel like my shedding phase was in smaller cycles, roughly 2 weeks when it comes.
Yeah I'm early in the fight thankfully. I only have minor loss but since starting treatment the top of my head, despite being longer hair feels thinner and my hairline was ok and passable bit not anymore. I've had severe loss in the last month. I lost more hair this past 1-2 months than I think the last 5 years (before starting finasteride). No regrowth in sight either. I see small white hairs but they aren't moving at all so those might be long gone follicles. I'm tempted to try minoxidil but I want to see if finasteride gets me back to baseline with maintenance because that's really all I needed. I could've lived with minor recession that I could styled with but now it's not easy to style.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 month update. Things look a lot worse now.

20210812_172828.jpg

Black line is my hairline at 15. Red line was the mature hairline at 25 and behind that is thinning. The right side looks slightly worse but most of the damage is here (picture is mirror).

I thought I was through with the shedding but today I had shed like 200 hairs in the shower, on the floor, in the sink. Everywhere.

I refilled my prescription and asked for brand. They sent me this:
20210812_173753.jpg

Propecia is brand so why would it be a substitute? I paid like 200 for brand.

20210812_174021.jpg

This is what a pill looks like. Did I just get scammed?

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 167294

Black line is my hairline at 15. Red line was the mature hairline at 25 and behind that is thinning. The right side looks slightly worse but most of the damage is here (picture is mirror).

I thought I was through with the shedding but today I had shed like 200 hairs in the shower, on the floor, in the sink. Everywhere.

I refilled my prescription and asked for brand. They sent me this:View attachment 167297

View attachment 167296
Yeah, you were scammed. Brand propecia has a P symbol on the tablet. They sent you a generic.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm at month 4. Shedding is still happening. Hair is thinning on top.

This is a picture of me with wet hair.

20210911_202516.jpg

If you look closely the hair behind the frontal forelock is thinning.

When hair is dry you can't see it at all, but now we have an idea how this balding is probably going to look like if things get worse.

Still waiting for thicker hair...

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 167294

I refilled my prescription and asked for brand. They sent me this:View attachment 167297

View attachment 167296
These posts are excessively long and nobody wants to see pictures of your meds but hey, hair pics, cool! Many of us have finasteride covered by insurance or Proscar and yes, the pills are blue but fillers rarely seem to matter except with psychiatric meds. See if you can be more succinct in the future as it's difficult to jump past/avoid these pics that seem pointless unless you want to take a pic of your dinner too, to be analyzed in terms of inflammatory content. Irony sucks....

On the bright side, your hair has barely recessed and you are young and on top of preventative treatment so why do you obsess so much? I though you were a hopeless experimental guy praying for Santa or maybe Madonna to give you hair for Xmas and like so many, you are but an obsessive, say 24 year old?

Janey

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm almost at month 6. Hairline lost some more ground... HOWEVER, I do think the crown and midscalp area feels a lot more full. About 3-4 months ago I was able to see under bright fluorescent lighting my scalp pretty easily at the midscalp and crown. I checked under the same conditions and there is definitely improvement. Also when I run my hand through my crown and midscalp area it does feel more full and healthier. So at least I am getting the benefit of "thickening" hair on areas that were not severely thinning like my hairline. It's almost as if those areas are going back to normal.

Sadly, the hairline is still receding a little but I'll just have to wait it out 1 year. Maybe it takes longer to recover hair when it's damaged more.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been 1 year on Propecia and unfortunately the treatments seem to just slow down progression and not stop it. Not sure what the hell to do now.

I feel like I've gained some thickness in the crown and midscalp area but the hair line is convincingly worse. Even the right side which seemed fine at the beginning is getting worse.

So my question now is, is it possible that the hair line was too late to save and I will need surgery in the future? Will I still stop losing ground at some point and stabilize?

It really sucks that even the best treatment for hair loss won't even stabilize me at 32 for 1 f*****g year.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been 1 year on Propecia and unfortunately the treatments seem to just slow down progression and not stop it. Not sure what the hell to do now.

I feel like I've gained some thickness in the crown and midscalp area but the hair line is convincingly worse. Even the right side which seemed fine at the beginning is getting worse.

So my question now is, is it possible that the hair line was too late to save and I will need surgery in the future? Will I still stop losing ground at some point and stabilize?

It really sucks that even the best treatment for hair loss won't even stabilize me at 32 for 1 f*****g year.
No finasteride by itself isnt enough to stop male pattern baldness. You need to add alot stronger treatments to stop it.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

You should switch to topical finasteride it blocks more scalp DHT.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
You dont understand how DHT and hair loss works. Serum DHT is irrelevant in hair loss. It is hard to quantify how much actual DHT there is in your body. But at your follicle it is reduced more with the dose you take. Look it up, 2.5mg and 5mg finasteride are more effective than 1mg for but not by a large enough extent where the use of 5mg is excused for hair loss.
Oral medication will always be superior.
Even most topicals go systemic and topical finasteride especially goes systemic, and after continued use which you must to do get benefits you get the same serum reduction. But maybe you get less reduction in the prostate maybe, but I have no evidence of that.

Of course 5ar is important in the body, hair is just as important.
"Oral medication will always be superior."
I think you don't uderstand it and keep repeating Mercks propaganda from the 90s . Systemic DHT is not important, what it is really important is the DHT in the tissue . That is why topical route will be always be superior than oral route , specially for low molecular weight drugs .
The Systemic absortion is always less, much less ( specially for minoxidil ) than if you go oral. That is why most drugs use it for disease are give it orally and not transdermal, if not, if what you use it is thruth, why anyone will use oral drugs that need to pass the stomach !?
Lets the 90s go, welcome to 2022 ;)

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Oral medication will always be superior."
I think you don't uderstand it and keep repeating Mercks propaganda from the 90s . Systemic DHT is not important, what it is really important is the DHT in the tissue . That is why topical route will be always be superior than oral route , specially for low molecular weight drugs .
The Systemic absortion is always less, much less ( specially for minoxidil ) than if you go oral. That is why most drugs use it for disease are give it orally and not transdermal, if not, if what you use it is thruth, why anyone will use oral drugs that need to pass the stomach !?
Lets the 90s go, welcome to 2022 ;)
James when ru coming over? I need that hard c*** and filled ball sperm of yours bby.