(25M) Literally never lifted my hair before quarantine... Balding?

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My paternal grandfather and my dad are both bald, my maternal side of my family uncles/grandfather have full heads of hair. I’m hoping for the best here. Kind of just want to get on dutasteride though to be safe.
Go for it if you think you won't get side effects. Duta destroys my libido but finasteride gives me no sides.

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it looks normal, you could hide it if its problem with the hair on top with a short fringe, nothing to worry about yet
Thanks for the opinion! Makes me feel better for sure. I guess it's not aggressive or I would have noticed by now. I always have bangs so I guess if it's hidden should be okay if doesn't go back any further. I will continue to monitor things. Do you personally experience any hair loss?

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as infamousrodi and you with near identical hairloss. I'm 25 and my temples are receding and the front of my hairline is beginning to thin, my crown area looks fine. I would rate our hairloss as moderate and one that can be controlled and maintained. The first thing I recommend for you to do is purchase a hair catcher for your shower to see the amount of hair your losing. This is the one that I use https://www.amazon.com/Catcher-Dura...1&keywords=hair+catcher&qid=1607296996&sr=8-7. I have long hair like you and I normally lose 50-70 hairs in the shower but I would consider that on the high side since I was losing less a year ago with short hair (around 15-25 per shower). As for treatment options I would highly recommend looking into 1mg of finasteride per day and also to RU58841. I take both and I recently increased the dosage of RU and it decreased my hair loss from 85 hairs to 30, check out my post about https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/ru-250mg-per-day-is-actually-working.130299/
Thanks for the advice! I have counted my hairs in the shower but it's quite low per shower (less than 25ish). Reluctant to start a course of medication if it's a natural recession. Thoughts on just waiting another 6 months to see?

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 23 and have a hairline similar to yours but with more hair on the temples and a bit more hair at the front, some of which is thinning. I'll prolly start taking finasteride in one or two weeks because I like styling my hair up and don't think fringes look good on me. Also my paternal family is all fullheads at 60+ but my maternal family has men who begsm balding in their late twenties/early thirties following a NW2A-NW3A-NW4-NW5 pattern.
Hmm I'm reluctant to do any medication until I really know it's receding. Reason being is that there is absolutely no bald family members on either side even up to my great grandfather's. Think I can just get away with monitoring for 6 more months?

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
It could be either. You might stop at a 2 like a lot of people, which isn't even really "balding". Some people are dead set on having a NW1 though.
I'll continue to monitor for now. Appreciate the time you put to respond. You can trust strangers for the truth since they don't care about you enough to lie lol

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm I'm reluctant to do any medication until I really know it's receding. Reason being is that there is absolutely no bald family members on either side even up to my great grandfather's. Think I can just get away with monitoring for 6 more months?
Yeah I think you could probably get away with another 6 months since you only lose around 25 hairs.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you haven't any bald family members on either side of the family you're probably in the clear. Monitoring it for a while is a good idea, anyways if you're reluctant to do any medication you could have your hepatic enzimes and hormonal profile checked for peace of mind in case you change your mind and want to start taking finasteride later on. Two australian doctors on a Youtube channel (The Hairloss Show) also recommend a custom dose of finasteride (1mg 3 times a week) which is less than half the regular dose (7 mg a week) and supposedly hasn't led to any side effects in 99% of men they have been working with the last 20 years.

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I think you could probably get away with another 6 months since you only lose around 25 hairs.
Yeah thanks for the contribution to the discussion though. Alot of insight you provided. How many hairs would you say (for yourself or a normal amount) fall out if you comb it into the sink and count? Mine is like 4 longer hairs maybe..

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you haven't any bald family members on either side of the family you're probably in the clear. Monitoring it for a while is a good idea, anyways if you're reluctant to do any medication you could have your hepatic enzimes and hormonal profile checked for peace of mind in case you change your mind and want to start taking finasteride later on. Two australian doctors on a Youtube channel (The Hairloss Show) also recommend a custom dose of finasteride (1mg 3 times a week) which is less than half the regular dose (7 mg a week) and supposedly hasn't led to any side effects in 99% of men they have been working with the last 20 years.
That's a good approach for someone new to finasteride. Start with a low dose and then slowly increase up to 1mg a day if you have no sides.

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm might do the light regime you mentioned in the following months if I notice further recession. Thanks for the references. Strangers on the internet tell it like it is haha

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for the contribution to the discussion though. Alot of insight you provided. How many hairs would you say (for yourself or a normal amount) fall out if you comb it into the sink and count? Mine is like 4 longer hairs maybe..
I don't comb my hair but I'd probably lose more than 4 longs hairs. Probably around 10? 4 long hairs is nothing to be concerned about

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't comb my hair but I'd probably lose more than 4 longs hairs. Probably around 10? 4 long hairs is nothing to be concerned about
OK I'll keep monitoring and update this thread in the coming months. Thanks for sharing your experiences Andrew! Might go to the derm and ask about the light regime Nicky suggested.

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Recently got a haircut... Not sure if anyone can see better than the first set of pictures? I guess I'll leave these here as a personal record as well.

Any thoughts? (my right side is definitely further along in recession than my left it seems?)

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say you're still good. Like rodi said, normal mature hairline. Can't see any miniaturisation going on near the hairline.

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion again! I've seen ur thread as well and u look fine too. We both just gotta monitor it calmly haha

loveless11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say you're still good. Like rodi said, normal mature hairline. Can't see any miniaturisation going on near the hairline.
Okay thanks for the comment! I guess I'll keep monitoring and referring back to this thread every few months. Whats your experience with hairloss so far?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It does look like a solid NW2 mature hairline, like Keanu. You don't have any rounding on the temporal areas (sides), yours are pefectly straight, which is a really good sign.