25 yo on treatments: thinning on top or nothing to worry about? (incl: high res pics)

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on min for 3 years and finasteride for 2 years, but as I'm a diffuse thinner I never really paid any attention to the crown of my scalp. Do you guys see the thinning or am I just imaging things? I don't want to be in denial either, as there are still stronger treatments available. Please please, give my your opinion. I know the one pic with the flash looks kinda horrible but if you look closely that's really seems to be the reflecting flash on my very wet (and thus shiny) hair, I don't know whether that exact pic tells us that much. Anyway, here goes:

Hairline 1
Hairline 2
Hairline 3

Left side
Left side with parting
Right side

Crown
Crown with flash (I know this one looks horrible, but isn't it just reflecting light..?)
Crown with flash 2 (... cause this is another one with flash where it doesn't look that bad, right?)

Top 1
Top 2
Top 3
Top with flash 1
Top with flash 2
Top with flash 3

Tl;dr: Can you see signs of alopecia androgenetica in my pictures, especially those of my crown?

EDIT: all pictures on imgur.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic before you started treatment. I don't know what I'm looking at here.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic before you started treatment. I don't know what I'm looking at here.

I don't have any good ones, sadly. I do know there was zero thinning on my crown when I started though, so I wondered whether any of you guys saw any thinning in these pictures.

Actually, the treatments I'm on or the period I'm using them don't ever matter for your opinion: I just wish to know whether there's actually visible thinning in these pictures OR am I just imagining things and could this have been the scalp pictures of a person without any hair loss.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else? Is my crown thinning? I know for sure I'll be taking pictures on my wet crown every two months. The first sign of thinning will make me jump on dutasteride immediately.

Hairon

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude you have a full head of hair, I don't know how your hair looked like before the treatment but I'm pretty sure you have taken meds for nothing.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Think you need the big guns. dutasteride + oral spironolactone.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Think you need the big guns. dutasteride + oral spironolactone.

Which one would you recommend to me first? Starting both at the same time will probably be overkill and won't allow me to evaluate their respective contributions. I know getting a prescription for dutasteride miiiiight just work if I try a few derms, but no way I'll get one for oral spironolactone.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Which one would you recommend to me first? Starting both at the same time will probably be overkill and won't allow me to evaluate their respective contributions. I know getting a prescription for dutasteride miiiiight just work if I try a few derms, but no way I'll get one for oral spironolactone.

Depends. How much do you value your D ?

- - - Updated - - -

JK, get some avodart, don't touch the damn spironolactone with a ten feet pole

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends. How much do you value your D ?

- - - Updated - - -

JK, get some avodart, don't touch the damn spironolactone with a ten feet pole

Hehe, aight. How would you evaluate my hair? Is it clearly thinning in the crown area? Did you ever try finasteride or did you immediately hop on dutasteride?

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hehe, aight. How would you evaluate my hair? Is it clearly thinning in the crown area? Did you ever try finasteride or did you immediately hop on dutasteride?

Well, I can't say it's clearly thinning but that it may be beginning to. Your hair is actually looking great and your hair looks like a full head of hair to some. But you're the only one to know how dense your hair is suppose to be. What I mean here is that if you are 100% sure that your crown was thicker one, two, three years ago, then it's the case and you started to thin.
I'm telling you this because my own hair, despite leaving me quick, still looks more than fine to people (except my family and closest friends). But I do know the ridiculous amount of hair I started with so I know I have a problem.

Also : I jumped directly on the dutasteride wagon, because my case is particular (I'm a girl) : dutasteride outperforms finasteride in my age group according to research and I would need to take higher daily doses of finasteride to "maintain".

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
dench i really do enjoy your humor, but sometimes you gotta point out the fact that you're joking before this man turns himself into a female.

So no dutasteride/spironolactone then, eh ? Might have guessed it was some mild joking, but still. I know I don't have horrible balding yet, but still. Being proactive should be encouraged, right? :)

Here are some new pictures I made today. Question remains the same, is my crown thinning? That would imply I did not achieve stabilisation with finasteride (2+ years) and minoxidil ( (3+ years) once a day.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks fine to me, if your 2 years on finasteride with that head of hair I'm pretty sure its working. No baseline or pics prior to treatment?

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe I have some pics from when I started treatment, but alas, they are not taken in the same (light) conditions. I know for sure though, my crown wasn't thinning when I started so I never gave it any attention. Now I wonder whether this is still a normal crown, whether this the way it always looked or if there's some thinning coming up. (Which, I know, still wouldn't be dramatic thinning by any means, but it would imply finasteride doesn't stabilise my hair loss completely, so I might have to shift to dutasteride.)

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Gotta be honest and say you have little to no thinning anywhere. Even if you did its in your crown, which is the most responsive area to treatment. Just use minoxidil 1 time a day before bed. You really don't need anti androgens (besides a weak 2% Nizoral shampoo) at this point. I would kill for your hair at your age.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Gotta be honest and say you have little to no thinning anywhere. Even if you did its in your crown, which is the most responsive area to treatment. Just use minoxidil 1 time a day before bed. You really don't need anti androgens (besides a weak 2% Nizoral shampoo) at this point. I would kill for your hair at your age.

I'm already using minoxidil for more than three years, finasteride for more than two. I might add nizoral again. Used it in the past but never consistently.

megatron1234

Reaction score

He is trolling you... For *f u c k s* sake.