25 Years Old And Losing Lots Of Hair!

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just stumbled on this website. Thought I would share my story and seek/give support to other members.

My hairline has receded at a steady pace for the last two years (I'm 25). I guess it's normal for many guys my age. However, the past 6 months I have lost so much hair that I am starting to get worried if I am balding. Everytime I shower I always shed lots of hair, my temples are very big and I am also seeing thinning of my front. I wonder if it's my genes but my older brother still has a full head of hair, same goes for my grandpa and my father is only now losing some hair (he is 60+). The thing that bothers me most is that my hair looks worse than my dad's already. Maybe I am out of luck because my uncle is bald and the same thing might happen to me.

I don't want to go bald, I guess I would look like a clown since I have a big forehead and big ears... I talked to a doctor today through an app and he prescribed Finasteride 1 mg for me. I will start using it tomorrow. My plan is to use it for around a year and evaluate the result. I hope that it stops my hair loss. If I am noticing the side effects I guess I would have to stop. I hope it doesn't screw up my libido but since I am already suffering from ED sometimes but I guess time will tell. It's worth a shot nonetheless, I want to keep my hair.

I attached some photos from today. I know that it looks kind of bad already but do you think that some thickening of my hair is possible with Finasteride? Is there no possibility for a tiny bit of regrowth in the bald spots (temples)?

Last edited:

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride for soon two weeks. Have not noticed any side effects yet, maybe a bit lower libido but I'm not sure. I have however noticed that my scalp itches from time to time during the day. Have also seen an increase in dandruff. So I will start using ketokonazol-schampoo tomorrow and hope that it will help some.
Is anyone here only using finasteride or is it smarter to use finasteride + ketokonazol schampoo?
Minoxidil is not something I want to try, I believe I couldn't do that regimen consistently or handle the shedding-period.

Some day this week I will get a haircut because my hair is too long atm. Have been postponing this for a while since I'm afraid that I won't look so good with a short haircut when my high temples are showing and my hairloss is more evident.

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride 3 weeks now. I just got a haircut. Wanted to share how my hair looks when it's shorter. I thought it would look worse but my barber managed to hide my temples in good way, he was very skilled. Still shedding some hair but not as much as before finasteride. Have noticed no side effects so far.

Will be interesting to see if the shedding stops in the next month or two.

Last edited:

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, your hair still looks ok. Hopefully you´ll thicken your hair. Also don´t get scared if you get some shed on finasteride and don´t expect anything good so soon. First month on finasteride my hair slowly stopped shedding, but after first month my shed started and had it till month 4. About 4,5 month in I saw shed go from 100-150 hair in shower to 5-10. 6 months in I saw first results. So be patient. Hope for the best for you.

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, your hair still looks ok. Hopefully you´ll thicken your hair. Also don´t get scared if you get some shed on finasteride and don´t expect anything good so soon. First month on finasteride my hair slowly stopped shedding, but after first month my shed started and had it till month 4. About 4,5 month in I saw shed go from 100-150 hair in shower to 5-10. 6 months in I saw first results. So be patient. Hope for the best for you.

Thanks! Yea I hope my hair will thicken, especially my front is thinning a lot, the same goes for the temples. Good to hear that you got results after a while, it gives me some hope. I will give finasteride a year and see if it works, if I don't get side effects.

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought Minoxidil (5%, liquid) today. Guess it's worth a shot to go for the big three for a year and see if it helps. I'm not that eager to use it twice a day so I'm thinking of using Minoxidil only in the evening. Has someone here got results from using it once a day? I have read that it worked ok for a few people. My financial situation is not the best since I have been a student for soon five years and hair loss treatments are expensive in the long run..

Caffeineandstudies

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am one year younger than you but I would probably be at your situation next year. I hope you have time to update and best of luck for your fight. I am really curious how your temples grow back and also about the side effects.

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Short update. No real changes yet. 2 months Finasteride and 1 month Minoxidil now. I think my hair has stopped shedding a bit. Moreover, I think I can see a few new hairs coming up along the hairline but other than that I still look the same compared to my previous photos. I have experienced no side effects so far.

Will post photos if there is any change the next months.

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any update?
I am not shedding anymore so that's all good. Not experiencing side effects from the big three. Applying minoxidil once per day. I think my hair is thickening atm and I feel much better than a year ago. Not much difference visually except that I have a bit thicker hair. Will post pics in a month or two to see if there's a difference.

Erland

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you take photos again, please include your eyebrows.

Good luck!

Alexis Dumont

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride for soon two weeks. Have not noticed any side effects yet, maybe a bit lower libido but I'm not sure. I have however noticed that my scalp itches from time to time during the day. Have also seen an increase in dandruff. So I will start using ketokonazol-schampoo tomorrow and hope that it will help some.
Is anyone here only using finasteride or is it smarter to use finasteride + ketokonazol schampoo?
Minoxidil is not something I want to try, I believe I couldn't do that regimen consistently or handle the shedding-period.

Some day this week I will get a haircut because my hair is too long atm. Have been postponing this for a while since I'm afraid that I won't look so good with a short haircut when my high temples are showing and my hairloss is more evident.

Which one have you chosen? Nizoral?

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! I'm back with a short update. I know I said I was gonna post pics before and I have had so much other things to focus on in life than my hair. Actually my hair is not shedding and I feel comfortable with my hairline and treatment. I am taking the big three (finasteride 1 mg/Minoxidil 50mg/Ketoconazol schampoo 20 mg. I can say that my hair has not receded in over a year so I am glad to say that I am in a stable phase. My high temples where I lost hair before starting treatment will most likely never be recovered but that does not bother me too much. I am adding some photos, I have a natural high hairline which makes it look a bit weird but I am telling you that my hair looks alright when I style it and hide my temples a bit. Now I am pulling my hair back to make the hairloss evident. The best thing is that my hair feels thicker and looks healthier than before. Finasteride 1mg is expensive though so I will in the next few days switch it to the cheaper version, Finasteride 5 mg, and split the tablet into four pieces so I take 1,25 mg every day. I have not experienced any side effects so far from my treatment. Someone compaired my hair to Peaboddy's and I must say that his situation was quite similar to mine.

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man!
Today I start with splitting a Finasteride 5 mg in four, so 1,25 mg Finasteride per day. Hope it works out as good as before, it is much cheaper!