25 year old Minoxidil/Finasteride

FullMetalGear

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am 25 years old and I have been losing my hair for about five years now. I don't really fit any of the categories on the norwood hamilton chart. Basically my hairline receded at first (a little more near the temples). Then I began losing hair on my crown in a large circle. At that point I decided it was bad enough that I needed to do something about it. I started out by trying low risk methods (hairmax laser, saw palmetto). I saw little success with these and was reluctant to start on minoxidil and finasteride due to the many horror stories I had read online. My hairloss progressed and I began to have diffuse thinning all over the top of my head.

This pushed me to try minoxidil at first, because it had less side effects compared with finasteride. Six months later I made the decision to add finasteride as well. I have now been on minoxidil for eight months, and finasteride for two. I have noticed a significant thickening and darkening of my hair, which several people commented on. The recession on my temples is still there (I don't know of anything that product that can change that), but my diffuse thinning and loss on my crown has become recognizably less apparent. I did not experience ANY side effects so far from the finasteride (1 mg per day).

I realize I probably haven't been on the finasteride long enough for it to have any affect, so most of my success is probably due to the minoxidil.

Regardless, I wanted to share this story to encourage people who are afraid of committing to minoxidil/finasteride, or afraid of the side effects. I have read many forum posts over the years and many people seem to agree that the reason there are so many horror stories out there is because people who experience success have little reason to go online and talk about it. My personal opinion on finasteride is that while there are risks, and it is a serious decision one should take time to consider, most people do not experience side effects, and most people who do experience side effects will return to normal after stopping the drug.

Also, using minoxidil and finasteride daily is barely a chore. It takes 5 seconds to pop the pill, and easily under 1 minute to apply the finasteride foam. I spend more than twice the amount of time brushing my teeth.

Anyway, it's still a serious decision to make, but I wanted to let you know that so far, as a 25 year old with fairly significant hair loss, I am seeing some success.

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice!! We're on the same boat, you and I. 25 as well, hairloss for 5 years and just starting the regimen (6 months min and 3 months finasteride). Growing results here as well :)

Good luck and please keep us/me up to date! Would love to see some pictures :D

FullMetalGear

Reaction score
Glad to hear headless. I will try and update this post at some point in the future. I do not currently have the means to take a photograph.

jonnyduece

Reaction score
How long before you guys started seeing any kind of results on minoxidil? I have been using it for about 6 weeks now. I realize that is too soon to see results in most cases, and as expected I have not seen anything yet. At what point did you start to notice something?

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
How long before you guys started seeing any kind of results on minoxidil? I have been using it for about 6 weeks now. I realize that is too soon to see results in most cases, and as expected I have not seen anything yet. At what point did you start to notice something?

After 3 months I started noticing some results from minoxidil, that was around the same time I started finasteride. I've been using it for 6 months now and I'm seeing some results (for me it's awesome but most people won't even notice because they are not so worried about my hair as I am) and I think it's too early to suggest the results are caused by finasteride (since I'm only using that for 3 months). So most of my results will probably be caused by minoxidil. Also, I suggest you start using Nizoral, I've been using it for a week and my head is way less itchy already.
You can check my progress in my TYS-thread: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...5-balding-starting-regime-finasteride-amp-min
Just added an update :)

FullMetalGear - Thank you, I feel like I found someone on the same boat as me :p

jonnyduece

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, headless. I actually haven't had much in the way if itchiness after the first few weeks. I did have some dry scalp issues, but that seems to have gone away now that I use head and shoulders as my shampoo. I am really hoping I get some decent results from this. I definitely was on the way toward male pattern baldness, but I do still have a hairline. It has not receded drastically, but I have extremely diffused hair. I recently buzzed it down to a one bc it looked awful given how thin my hair had gotten. It looks better this way I think, but you can still tell I have much less hair on top than on the sides. I am hoping the minoxidil will help fill it in some. I am staying away from finasteride. I don't always have the best reaction to medications, and I do not want to chance the side effects.

marcster

Reaction score
Congratulations man! 3 years here on finasteride and minoxidil and things couldn't be better. Reversed an Norwood 3.5 to an Norwood 2 and no side effects other than occassionally a little bit of itchy scalp, probably because I used the cheaper generic minoxidil from Costco. Never got itch from the more expensive Rogaine, but just too expensive for me to use over the long term. Costco recently got a new company to make its liquid minoxidil though and things are better now and there is no more itch.

Best of luck!

Marcster