25 year old getting transplant.

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone here had a transplant that is in their mid-twenties? I would like some feedback. I am thinking of getting some grafts done on my crown and frontal area. I am a little thin in the front, and losing more on the crown. I am hoping to get some recommendations on good surgeons in the So.California area. Should I try Propecia before going through with a transplant? I am currently on 5% Minoxodil twice daily. Thanks. : :lol:

Axon

Reaction score
I had originally wanted to do this myself, only being 23 and about a Norwood 2...but really, my hair isn't that bad and the two doctors I did see about it laughed me out of the office.

Anyway, the general consensus is to wait until your hairloss has stabilized. With you only being 25, you'll probably continue to lose and it'll have that "island" effect - hair on the hairline normal, behind that receding or thinning - and it just looks terrible. Absolutely terrible. Some docs might do it anyway just to get some cash, so please, be cautious.

Surgery is a big step and it's pretty much irreversible. You are stuck with any results, good or bad.

I would try finasteride or Avodart before I would look into surgery. What level Norwood are you? You might be a candidate if you are in an advanced stage of balding, but I don't think you are from what I read.

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Axon. Your input was greatly appreciated. I am getting on Finasteride asap, just ordered it from here. Me and my pops are gonna give it a shot for a while, and if nothing changes or I lose more a year or so from now, I might look into the hair transplant. To answer your question, I am a mild Norwood 3V, but my crown is thinner than the front. Peace.

scottp999

Reaction score
avodart

Hey, People will have been on avodart for 6 months around the end of May. Be sure to solicit results from people like me at that point. We may be very happy at its performance over proscar/propecia. Good Luck!

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any reported side effects from using Avodart? Maybe I should get on Avodart instead of Finasteride.

Anybody think that there is that much difference between Avodart and Propecia? If so, I will cxl my Propecia and get on Avodart. I have not started my Propecia yet.