25 y/o; Curious where I am at, and where to go.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was soo ready to go on finasteride until I learnt it can cause permanent boobs. Like if you're the 1 percent who gets that side effect, you're screwed as only way for it to go is surgery worth 10k or another pill that destroys your hair.

Not trying to put fear in others minds but definitely need to put this out there. It's worse than the sexual side effects imo, those are reversible sometimes, gyno is a lose lose situation

Finasteride induced gynecomastia is incredibly rare (We're talking a 2% or less chance for a med that has like a 8%-12% side effect chance tops, which is already lowish). I was worried about that at first too and read some papers about it on pubmed to learn more. Most cases of finasteride induced gynecomastia are unilateral, not bilateral, and go away after six months to a year of stopping treatment. You will also know if you're getting it too, it's not something that happens overnight and you wake up with Jennifer Aniston's boobs. They're a bit more common with middle aged or overweight men who take 5 mg of finasteride everyday for prostate issues.

dcchase

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are the rates of hair loss so variable that an estimate in y’all’s opinion would be an exercise in futility? Part of me wants to just own it, embrace it like my pops did…I’m to be married soon, so the dating game is not a factor (luckily).

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride induced gynecomastia is incredibly rare (We're talking a 2% or less chance for a med that has like a 8%-12% side effect chance tops, which is already lowish). I was worried about that at first too and read some papers about it on pubmed to learn more. Most cases of finasteride induced gynecomastia are unilateral, not bilateral, and go away after six months to a year of stopping treatment. You will also know if you're getting it too, it's not something that happens overnight and you wake up with Jennifer Aniston's boobs. They're a bit more common with middle aged or overweight men who take 5 mg of finasteride everyday for prostate issues.
Right. This hair loss journey is so misleading tbh. My trichologist just changed her mind and said my hair loss may not be male pattern baldness but rather vitamin d deficiency as I'm severely lacking it. She said I definitely have pattern baldness but now changed her mind so now I gotta goto another derm to get confirmation smh.

dcchase

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right. This hair loss journey is so misleading tbh. My trichologist just changed her mind and said my hair loss may not be male pattern baldness but rather vitamin d deficiency as I'm severely lacking it. She said I definitely have pattern baldness but now changed her mind so now I gotta goto another derm to get confirmation smh.
Does the hair loss primarily happen in the shower, or is it bad enough to where when you run your hand through your hair, you pick up hair along the way?

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does the hair loss primarily happen in the shower, or is it bad enough to where when you run your hand through your hair, you pick up hair along the way?
I don't have hair shedding sorry man. Only when I wash normal amounts of hair usually comes out. In the shower losing 10 or 20 hairs isn't thst alarming tbh. My hair in general is just thinner. If that's your hair in the pics, it looks better than mine, trust me. I don't think you're balding lol.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think ur balding like seriously there is no way.. I can't see it. I can see through my hairline at the front in some places, non balding people have it too. You can drr through their hairline sometimes if it's styled a certain way or diff lighting (I mean see through only a bit not entirely)

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think ur balding like seriously there is no way.. I can't see it. I can see through my hairline at the front in some places, non balding people have it too. You can drr through their hairline sometimes if it's styled a certain way or diff lighting (I mean see through only a bit not entirely)
I think he has a little recession. Look at the difference in the temples. One looks like nw1.5 and the other looks like norwood 2.

dcchase

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think he has a little recession. Look at the difference in the temples. One looks like nw1.5 and the other looks like norwood 2.
I was checking out old pictures today, even as far back as 3-4 years ago, my hairline has always been uneven it seems. So I’m a little less worried about recession, but thinning does seem new. Although, I was using Head and Shoulders for about 7-8 months and stopped recently. Noticed thinner hair in the front and stopped. Then found anecdotes of H&S screwing up people’s hair.
This is all very new, I’m going to be a little patient, but will monitor heavily. Might even post some of the old photos for comparison.

dcchase

My Regimen
Reaction score
5EC5C308-9343-4812-9A08-5E47A976F513.jpeg

Not the best photo, but this was taken 3+ yes ago. Shows the uneven hairline even then

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it could stay at that level possibly? Sorry if I'm wrong I can't see the Norwood 2, can't find it. My hair is the same as his on the temples a NW1.5, hopefully that doesn't mean 100 percent balding lol. But I'm not sure, I think his hair needs monitoring but better than half the people I see in this sub

Still looks solid if you draw the line
Screenshot_20210622_132230.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622_132000.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622_132000.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 41

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
So it could stay at that level possibly? Sorry if I'm wrong I can't see the Norwood 2, can't find it. My hair is the same as his on the temples a NW1.5, hopefully that doesn't mean 100 percent balding lol. But I'm not sure, I think his hair needs monitoring but better than half the people I see in this sub

Still looks solid if you draw the line View attachment 164593
You look closely at the hairline there is a little bump up. His original hairline was probably flatter. I suffer a similar problem but it's thinning beyond that unlike OP.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You look closely at the hairline there is a little bump up. His original hairline was probably flatter. I suffer a similar problem but it's thinning beyond that unlike OP.
Yeah I see the bump up, but some people stick at a NW1.5 I've heard. I think most men their hairline does go higher than juvenile eventually. It looks decently thick behind the line though?

Like I get what you mean but it does look strong still, unless maybe he is balding but in my non professional opinion I think it's fine to just keep watch. My friend has a similar hairline and his hair is like aquamans lol. I think this is the bump up you mean. I don't wanna give wrong information but it doesn't look bad enough for finasteride just yet imo.
Screenshot_20210622_163714.jpg

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I see the bump up, but some people stick at a NW1.5 I've heard. I think most men their hairline does go higher than juvenile eventually. It looks decently thick behind the line though?

Like I get what you mean but it does look strong still, unless maybe he is balding but in my non professional opinion I think it's fine to just keep watch. My friend has a similar hairline and his hair is like aquamans lol.
Sounds fair. OP should just keep an eye on it. And if you start seeing thinning then it's time to check with a dermatologist.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds fair. OP should just keep an eye on it. And if you start seeing thinning then it's time to check with a dermatologist.
I am mainly asking as my hairline is similar, so I think most guys just naturally receed somewhat eventually, but I think mine is matured for now and his maybe. I'm monitoring mine too. I have thinning hairs where my juvenile hairline once was, as its forming into a nw1.5.

I wish I had this guys hairline lmao.

dcchase

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am mainly asking as my hairline is similar, so I think most guys just naturally receed somewhat eventually, but I think mine is matured for now and his maybe. I'm monitoring mine too. I have thinning hairs where my juvenile hairline once was, as its forming into a nw1.5.

I wish I had this guys hairline lmao.
That’s what I was planning on doing before moving forward with anything.
lol, I do feel a tad guilty for posting considering…

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s what I was planning on doing before moving forward with anything.
lol, I do feel a tad guilty for posting considering…
Well, it's fine nothing wrong with asking. But no one here is a professional. Then again actual professionals want money 9 outta 10 so someone with thick hair they will probably say they're balding tbh. It's pretty sad but money is reality