24 Years Old, noticeable thinning of hairline, opinions appreciated.

stv227

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forums. As I'm sure is a very cliched story, I've always had a full, thick head of hair and never worried about balding... at least not until I was much older. Turns out I am noticing some thinning at the hairline, especially towards the corners of my hairline near the temples. I have never had any significant incidences of of hair falling out, just one or two strands of hair every now and again most noticeably after a shower. The rest of my hair, aside from the small bit of thinning at the hairline, is as thick as it has always been. This thinning hasn't affected my appearance all that much, and since I know it is probably myself being the most aware of it, I haven't let it affect my confidence or demeanor.

I really don't see myself turning to medications or topicals because it is only a temporary fix at the end of the day (though I am open to having my mind changed; I do like having hair). My question more lies in how fast do you all think thinning/recession to a point of noticeable detriment will occur? I can accept that I may have some unfavorable genetics, but I hope I can hold on to most of my hair throughout the rest of my twenties.

Side note: my hairline has always went quite far back past my temples, it is more so the thinning along the front that is both new and concerning. This thinning has taken place over the past 6 months.

IMG_3556.JPGIMG_3555.JPGIMG_3554.JPGIMG_3553.JPGIMG_3552.JPGIMG_3551.JPG

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
lol ur worried abotu that
seriously

if you want to though try minoxdil first see if that thickens that up
and if it gets worst use finasteride

stv227

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm not stressing just yet, but going bald is a fear of mine so anticipating it early doesn't sound like a bad thing. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Take finasteride and keep your hair for at least ten more years. Hopefully during that period a better treatment will come out and you'll never be bald.

Don't take meds and have noticeable hair loss in 5 years and be bald in ten. By that time, a better treatment than finasteride may come out but it may only maintain existing hair and not regrow any. And then ****, you stay bald.

stv227

Reaction score
Take finasteride and keep your hair for at least ten more years. Hopefully during that period a better treatment will come out and you'll never be bald.

Don't take meds and have noticeable hair loss in 5 years and be bald in ten. By that time, a better treatment than finasteride may come out but it may only maintain existing hair and not regrow any. And then ****, you stay bald.

I appreciate the advice. Have you had any personal experience with Minoxidil or Finasteride? From my own research it appears that those are my best options, curious as to how effective they can be and if any of these possible adverse side affects are true.

hippydood

Reaction score
Been on finasteride for nearly 3 months. No real side effects to speak of, though no real evidence of improvement either. This is a long term thing tho.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride and Minoxidil are your only FDA approved options. Get on finasteride now, and you will not regret it.

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Take Finasteride if you want to maintain then add in Minoxidil after ~1 year if you want more regrowth. You should be able to maintain the hair that you have for a very long time on Finasteride, as your hair loss isn't very aggressive.