24 years old, need some honest opinions.

tonyman323

Reaction score
I am a 24 year old guy is convinced he is suffering from male pattern baldness. My father's side of the family there are no bald men at all, besides a little bit of vertex thinning in a few that are over 50. Everyone has strong hairlines though. my father has a better hairline(nw1), and ZERO thinning despite the fact that he is 35 years older ( what a kick in the balls, right?). My mom's brother was a nw5 by the time he was in his early 30s, and her dad was a nw5 by 35.They all lost their hair in the classic receding hairline pattern, not much overall thinning. This is the main reason for my hairloss worry. my brother is 3 years older than me, and is a NW2 at this time. I have 2 maternal great uncles that have a strong \_/ shaped hairlines into their 90s and no thinning.

Since i was a child i've always noticed that my hairline has come up slightly in the corners(i can see this now from childhood pictures as well) making it hard to determine whether or not I am actually receeding or if this has been my natural hairline shape since before puberty before all the T and DHT kicked in.

Here are some pics.
This is from a month ago with a higher quality camera
Right side of hairline(1 month ago IMG424.jpg

Front hairline wet (1 month ago)IMG420.jpg
Right side again ( 1 month ago)IMG425.jpg

Here are some i have taken today.

Right side today IMG429.jpg
Hair pulled back tightlyIMG433.jpg
Left side of hairline pulled back tightlyIMG432.jpg
Left side of hairline combed backIMG434.jpg

I need some honest opinions to answer a few questions:

1. What Norwood level would you put me at?
2. Would you suggest i start taking finasteride? (have a few months supply already, just have been kind of scared to take it considering the bad wrap it has been given lately)
3. Is it true that you most likely inherit your hairloss from your mothers side of the family? How many of you also have bald maternal uncles and grandfathers?

Just to throw this out there, i posted on here about 4 years ago and was quickly dismissed saying that my hair was fine. I had been taking finasteride for about 2 months and decided to get off seeing as my hairloss was not really noticable yet. The only reason i am here is because I have a family history of male pattern baldness.

Thanks guys!

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Not all people are born with perfect straight hairline. Why do you believe that?
I, for example, had a pretty strong V-shaped hairline since birth, which resembles my father's.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Find something else to worry about, your hairs fine. Although if you want a medical opinion a dermatologist could assuage your fears. Do not start taking finasteride unless it is confirmed you have male pattern baldness—by a professional.

minoxiDjunkie

Established Member
Reaction score
lol @ base10

dude - your hairline is great !
johnny depp has less hairline than you do and look where he is !

your hair looks a little thin though -
maybe try using oils (castor oil is good), it should thicken it,
and i guess 'the big 3' wont hurt either.