24 Years Old, Is It Time For A Hair Transplant?

Martts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a dutch, 24 year old male. I noticed my receding hairline since I was about the age of 16.
I never really had a really low hairline, and always had "temples". That is how I am, but it is getting worse in terms of I don't like it anymore now. It is just getting too much, though the only positive thing about this I don't need a really low hairline without "temples", I don't have the impression I will ever get this back as I used to have when I was 14. So, this makes things maybe a bit easier to pick a new hairline since I just want a little bit towards my "temples".

My crown is getting thin as well, so that is why I want to start with Rogaine minoxidil 5%.
First of all I have a question regarding the use of this product during summer, with sun exposure. Can I just walk without a hat, or should I wear one all the time during the sunny days?

Furthermore I would like some opinions of you all, for my current state and if I should do a hair-transplant. I'm definitely planning to do minoxidil 5%, but I am not willing to stabilize my hair with the use of finasteride etc. due to the side effects of these products, and my hypochondriac nature. So my regime to "stabilize" would be my healthy lifestyle, and minoxidil 5%. The question is: is this enough to stabilize to do a hair-transplant?

Hope to see some reactions,
Thanks.

Mart

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 582

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do u think that healthy lifestyle™ will not accelerate your hairloss (which is horrible already) due to natural nature of hairloss itself?

Martts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha probably nothing. I'm just not a fan of finasteride, though I am willing to use Minoxidil 5%. A healthy lifestyle is probably good for my overall body and mind in this. Perhaps I was willing to take finasteride a couple of years ago when I started noticing the loss of hair, though I don't find it worth the side effects, long terms effects.

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha probably nothing. I'm just not a fan of finasteride, though I am willing to use Minoxidil 5%. A healthy lifestyle is probably good for my overall body and mind in this. Perhaps I was willing to take finasteride a couple of years ago when I started noticing the loss of hair, though I don't find it worth the side effects, long terms effects.
A healthy life style will not be enough to stabilize your hair loss, because you started to go bald young and it seems that you have an aggressive form. Without putting a stop to your hairloss a hair transplant is a no, if you want to do something about it look in to topical anti-androgens. Good luck !

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, just minoxidil 5% is not enough to "stabilize" my crown?

Could be, depends how well you respond to minoxidil. You are diffusing aswell, I'm not sure how aesthetic a transplant would look on you, will wait for the experts to chime in hahh

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil does not stop hair loss, it has no effect on the causes. It only grows follicles that are dormant, but they will continue to be damaged.

You could start a tiny amount of finasteride to see if you can tolerate it, even .25 mg a day could help. Without it you are headed to a NW5 or NW6 I am sorry to say.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a dutch, 24 year old male. I noticed my receding hairline since I was about the age of 16.
I never really had a really low hairline, and always had "temples". That is how I am, but it is getting worse in terms of I don't like it anymore now. It is just getting too much, though the only positive thing about this I don't need a really low hairline without "temples", I don't have the impression I will ever get this back as I used to have when I was 14. So, this makes things maybe a bit easier to pick a new hairline since I just want a little bit towards my "temples".

My crown is getting thin as well, so that is why I want to start with Rogaine minoxidil 5%.
First of all I have a question regarding the use of this product during summer, with sun exposure. Can I just walk without a hat, or should I wear one all the time during the sunny days?

Furthermore I would like some opinions of you all, for my current state and if I should do a hair-transplant. I'm definitely planning to do minoxidil 5%, but I am not willing to stabilize my hair with the use of finasteride etc. due to the side effects of these products, and my hypochondriac nature. So my regime to "stabilize" would be my healthy lifestyle, and minoxidil 5%. The question is: is this enough to stabilize to do a hair-transplant?

Hope to see some reactions,
Thanks.

Mart

Just get on the damn meds or accept you'll be living the rest of your life as a genetic screwup and your sex life will be severely diminished. No more 18 year old girls for you. I was talking to a manager at Macquarie, the biggest retail investment bank in Australia and they said they are hesitant to hire people who are balding or are overweight too. My consumer behaviour lecturer even told an entire lecture theatre last year that advertisers and employers will avoid hiring people who are bald.

So propecia, or a shitty job and no sex, what will it be?

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
min aint gonna help you long term man. it will buy some time though. but it wont stablize your hair so DONT get surgery if your only using this

if u dont wana try finasteride, look into alternatives like ru, zix, topical spironolactone, seti etc etc. or accept baldness man. sorry.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why can't a diffuser have an aesthetic transplant?

Because by the time the transplanted area has grown in further losses will result in an unnatural looking original transplant, keeping you coming back for more. You're going to be playing catch up and dealing with shock loss for multiple surgeries over multiple years to get a natural result. Hard to tell from the pics but the side donor area looks like the hair thickness and density is low too. I've seen plenty of transplants for diffusers across a thinning area where the shock loss made them end up with less hair than before the transplant.

For the OP just get on propecia. It's stupid not to.

Martts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy shitcows. Haha oké, this is straight forward. I like that though, I will give myself some time to get in-depth knowledge about this. I am wondering though, if you would use for example a replacer for finasteride like RU. Is this enough like the combination with minoxidil, since it is still a solution which you use on your hair? Or do you need an "internal" stop, for the hair transplant like finasteride? Since you mention the shock loss?

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy shitcows. Haha oké, this is straight forward. I like that though, I will give myself some time to get in-depth knowledge about this. I am wondering though, if you would use for example a replacer for finasteride like RU. Is this enough like the combination with minoxidil, since it is still a solution which you use on your hair? Or do you need an "internal" stop, for the hair transplant like finasteride? Since you mention the shock loss?
You can try topical finasteride, RU or both. See how you respond to them, use them atleast a year. Maybe you can get enough regrowth and you won't need a hair transplant. The transplant should be your LAST solution after you have no option left. I'm currently on 0.25% topical finasteride for about 2 months with no sides to report, maybe a slight ball ache.

Martts

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can try topical finasteride, RU or both. See how you respond to them, use them atleast a year. Maybe you can get enough regrowth and you won't need a hair transplant. The transplant should be your LAST solution after you have no option left. I'm currently on 0.25% topical finasteride for about 2 months with no sides to report, maybe a slight ball ache.

I will read more into this. You are right though.
At this point I am really doubting though. I read about finasteride years ago, and read a lot about the side effects. And thereby I am more concerned about permanent damage which will be done to my body. I read about a more aggressive form of prostate cancer if you MIGHT get it, whereby I look almost identical to my grandfather, like really identical (including hairline) who has prostate cancer. So I don't rule out I might get it as well.

Furthermore, a shaved head looks pretty good on me. I still look WAY better with hair, but I can handle it.
This is where the doubt and hesitations kicks in, since I don't want to get bald at least not for the next 10-15 years or so. But the side effects and long term damage done to my body is a really severe measure to my baldness. It is the consideration of getting bald and side effects which might harm your body. Though, I don't smoke anymore, eat really healthy and considering drinking less while being on finasteride if I might actually take it.

I hope I am not the only one with hesitations towards finasteride. I read a lot of mixed messages from people who have used it. Some actually say they regret it and that they have permanent damage from it. I know this all sounds really contradictory, but it just difficult sometimes to decide in cases like this.

I will definitely start with minoxidil 5% to start, and I will read more into propecia.

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will read more into this. You are right though.
At this point I am really doubting though. I read about finasteride years ago, and read a lot about the side effects. And thereby I am more concerned about permanent damage which will be done to my body. I read about a more aggressive form of prostate cancer if you MIGHT get it, whereby I look almost identical to my grandfather, like really identical (including hairline) who has prostate cancer. So I don't rule out I might get it as well.

Furthermore, a shaved head looks pretty good on me. I still look WAY better with hair, but I can handle it.
This is where the doubt and hesitations kicks in, since I don't want to get bald at least not for the next 10-15 years or so. But the side effects and long term damage done to my body is a really severe measure to my baldness. It is the consideration of getting bald and side effects which might harm your body. Though, I don't smoke anymore, eat really healthy and considering drinking less while being on finasteride if I might actually take it.

I hope I am not the only one with hesitations towards finasteride. I read a lot of mixed messages from people who have used it. Some actually say they regret it and that they have permanent damage from it. I know this all sounds really contradictory, but it just difficult sometimes to decide in cases like this.

I will definitely start with minoxidil 5% to start, and I will read more into propecia.
Whatever makes you happy man, i hesitated because of the sides for 2 or 3 years and i regret it. For me, the social side effects of being bald outscale the sides of any anti-androged..

Martts

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatever makes you happy man, i hesitated because of the sides for 2 or 3 years and i regret it. For me, the social side effects of being bald outscale the sides of any anti-androged..

I know the sides are different for every person. How are they with you?

Actually, the only thing which is holding me back on taking finasteride is the chance of developing prostate cancer from finasteride.

Last edited: