24 Year Old, Going For A Hairtransplant?!

#Wouter

Reaction score
Hello,

Since I was 17 I was noticing my receding temples. The temples have been slowly receding till today.

Last week I went to a hair clinic to talk about a hairtransplant. They told me I was young, but since I'm using finasteride for almost 2 years, they said I could do a hairtransplant.
(They rejected me a few years ago because of my age and not using meds btw, so that gives me a good feeling about the clinic (not only about the money)).

My temples are receded and the hair around my temples is thin, but the rest of my hair, including donor is very thick...

They told me that stabilization because of finasteride is very important, because of further hairloss behind the transplanted area in the future... So I honestly told them that I'm not sure if I'm still receding during the period I'm using finasteride, but after showing them the pictures, they allowed me to get a hairtransplant.

They want to implant 1500 - 1800 grafts. The plan is to fill my left temple a little bit (this temple has not been receding that much, or I'm happy with the way the left temple looks) and make the right temple (which has been receding wayyy more), the same level (symmetric) as the left one...

So, although I should be very happy that I can finally do something about it, I actually really don't know what to do. And I think that's mostly because I don't know if I've been receding on finasteride. What I do know is that I'm not very fast receding. As you can see on the pictures:

Left 2011 March, right 2009 November:
Link

2015 May:
Link1
Link2
Link3

Today:
Link1
Link2
Link3

What do you guys think?

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First off what kind of procedure is it? FUE or FUT?

If you get an FUT please don't settle for anyone who doesn't do Trichophytic closures and has credibility from repeated performance of such closures. I can't stress that enough because it can seriously destroy you if your scar ends up like those nightmarish google images we've all seen of strip scars.

If you go the FUE route I would suggest a doctor who uses a .8mm punch as I've had an fue for recession as well and the scarring isn't noticeable until I trim with a 0 guard which even then it seems it's only noticeable to me because my peers never commented on my head about white dots.

General rule of thumb: A bald area with little to no hair such as the case with you on your temples will require 2 passes and that's no ifs ands or buts about it. Even with thick hair you need to plan for a second procedure for a bald area. You can get coverage in one procedure sure, but you won't be completely home free as you must opt for yet another procedure so that the frontal hairline and temples blend in with your existing hair. Only so much hair can be packed together per sq cm because if too much is packed at once then you won't get enough blood circulation to all follicles and that'll result in poor growth.

Now read this whole thing again and make sure all that information is drilled into that head of yours before proceeding through with your procedure!

#Wouter

Reaction score
It's gonna be a FUE procedure and they are gonna use .6mm punch.

They also offer me an ACELL procedure (since I ask for it), but that will cost 1600€ extra. Would the ACELL be worth it or should I shave the 1600€ for a 2nd procedure?

#Wouter

Reaction score
so propecia maintaied your crown ? and stabilized your hairline?

That's what I find hard to say... My crown has always been thick and still is...
Hairline since starting propecia, has receded a bit I think.. But it takes some time till propecia starts to work, so if it has stabilized after it started working (6 months till a year right?), I really can't say... It hasn't receded a lot, that's for sure...

CITech

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
FUT is an outdated procedure and the risk of scarring from this surgery is absolute. A really good strip scar can be hidden when the hair is fairly short, but will always show on a shaved head. Hair restoration is not a medical procedure that is taught with strict and sound artistic principles. Related to art, photo realism is an art form that strives to copy things in the natural world as closely as possible. Most hair transplant doctors are folk artists (self taught) by comparison. A hair transplant doctor can have up to date medical training and great surgical hands, but without the artistic gift that enables him to accurately reproduce the appearance of natural growing hair, the results will be disastrous. Better off bald than sporting a bad unnatural appearing hair transplant. There are many many ways to do hair transplantation wrong and many patients regret their decision for many years. When evaluating a doctor, look for clear images of the featured patient's hairline. Is the hairline a natural shape? Make sure the doctor didn't make the hairline too low. Make sure the doctor you are considering does not place multiple hair follicular units on or near the hairline. Learn how to recognize faked photos and tricks that make as side by side results appear far more impressive.

Pablo234

Reaction score
I'd be tempted to hold off for another few years TBH with you - your hairline isn't that bad at all, and there are lots of hair styles you can still pull off. I completely support well informed younger patients getting transplants, if they are aware of the potential consequences and what to expect in years to come etc. because for me, feeling good and confident in yourself during your 20's is hugely important. These years are the foundation blocks of your adult life. The experiences you have, the people you meet, the places you travel, and decisions you make shape and impact your future more than any other period in your life.
So ultimately it comes down to personal decisions and choice, and of course this lies within yourself - if it really is bugging you that much, I'm sure you have done plenty research, and will make the correct choice for you. You've not lost any ground over the last 6 years IMO, which is a great sign - maybe this is due to your medication, or maybe you just matured that way early on, who knows? But if you can live with it and get by ok for now, holding off for another few years will buy you a bit more time to be in an even stronger position than you are now to go down the transplant route.

shookwun

Reaction score

They also offer me an ACELL procedure (since I ask for it), but that will cost 1600€ extra. Would the ACELL be worth it or should I shave the 1600€ for a 2nd procedure?
Lmao prp a cell..... modern day snake oil that is not a proven treatment.

Its all bullshit. Easy way to milk money off fools

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I honestly don't think A-Cell helps much if it even does at all. How are you supposed to tell what you would've looked like with just the transplant and not A-Cell? That could definitely be a scam so I suggest just save the money. I don't see why a .6mm punch wouldn't work since a .8mm was used on me. I think they have to be super accurate with a punch that size though so make sure you research every last detail about them.

shookwun

Reaction score
I honestly don't think A-Cell helps much if it even does at all. How are you supposed to tell what you would've looked like with just the transplant and not A-Cell? That could definitely be a scam so I suggest just save the money. I don't see why a .6mm punch wouldn't work since a .8mm was used on me. I think they have to be super accurate with a punch that size though so make sure you research every last detail about them.
.6mm can be used to safely harvest 1 grafts.

I cant see it being used for 2,3's without risk of trasection

.8mm would be used

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair looks better now than in the 2009 pic. I'd go for it, don't worry about the scars, graft conservation is more important so use whatever punch will result in the least transaction.

Realhairloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man
Honestly you might better to wait a couple years. I am 27 now and I was in a reputable hair transplant office when I was 24 could have got it done. I'm more then glad I didn't because I would be back there now on my second for sure. At that point I would have been on finisteride for 2 1/2 years. Now that I'm 27 finisteride has slowed down and is not working as well and my temples are receding a lot more. It's up to you and that doesn't happen to everyone. Make a judgement call you still have lots of hair. But be very prepared that next year or two you could be in my shoes. I actually contact dr ******** this year and he straight up said he wouldn't because of my age and loss. And I would say my hair is close to yours very close.

#Wouter

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna do it...

Already made an appointment for next July and I think I'm gonna make the deposit tomorrow and just go for it.

Í'm really happy with myself and I want to keep it that way... Getting any more bald would destroy me as I don't have the muscular body (have to work on this though) and face for a bald head. I don't mind getting a 2nd or 3rd transplant as they are quite affordable atm. If that doesn't work I'll just have to go for some kind of wig/system as a last resort (at least knowing that there is some kind of last resort eases my mind;)).

Anyway, I hope it all works out. They'll use 2200 / 2500 grafts and it's gonna be a ''hair saving'' transplant, so no need for shaving!

Last edited:

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score

Already made an appointment for next July and I think I'm gonna make the deposit tomorrow and just go for it.

Í'm really happy with myself and I want to keep it that way... Getting any more bald would destroy me as I don't have the muscular body (have to work on this though) and face for a bald head. I don't mind getting a 2nd or 3rd transplant as they are quite affordable atm. If that doesn't work I'll just have to go for some kind of wig/system as a last resort (at least knowing that there is some kind of last resort eases my mind;)).

Anyway, I hope it all works out. They'll use 2200 / 2500 grafts and it's gonna be a ''hair saving'' transplant, so no need for shaving!

Dude don't do it. No shave is a notoriously bad way of doing it, and you clearly haven't thought of which doctor you're going to use.

You should do the procedure if it makes you happy, but think more about the doctor you want and do research. You'll get a garbage result if you go to your local clinic. 100% look into surgeons more and inquire on forums, but just wait until you know your options. Even the great clinics don't have waits more than 3 months usually so you could still probably get something in July, but please just think about getting a good surgeon and not some dodgy morons who think no shave is effective.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score

What clinic had you chosen and which doctor?

shookwun

Reaction score
Dude don't do it. No shave is a notoriously bad way of doing it, and you clearly haven't thought of which doctor you're going to use.

You should do the procedure if it makes you happy, but think more about the doctor you want and do research. You'll get a garbage result if you go to your local clinic. 100% look into surgeons more and inquire on forums, but just wait until you know your options. Even the great clinics don't have waits more than 3 months usually so you could still probably get something in July, but please just think about getting a good surgeon and not some dodgy morons who think no shave is effective.
exactly this lol

people dont understand how sh*t there hair is until they shave,

then realise they have micro bald spots, and diffusion every where.

shave is an absolute must.

people who have virtually no hair loss, and minor temple recession are among those then can get away with a no shave.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

shookwun

Reaction score
The shave Is a disgusting reality check.

Horse shoe starts to grow in fast while the hair up top is slow, and sparse.
this sh*t is sick, can relate