23 Yr Old - 6/7 Months On Finasteride No Progress

Summitcatcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi started using finasteride after I noticed that my hair was thinning around the crown area. I consulted hair experts in my city and they also confirmed that my hair was thinning. I was told to start with 5mg of finasteride, but I went against the advice I was given and now I'm currently taking 1mg of finasteride.

I've been taking 1mg of finasteride daily for around 6/7months, and it doesn't look like im making any progress. The front/crown is still thinning fairly quickly. My scalp is fairly flaky/itchy at the moment. And the crown/front area feels tender/a little bit sore when I apply pressure on this area.

What should I do?
Use other products?
Up my dosage?
Why do I have dandruff/ flaky scalp?

Summitcatcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have pics but the site won't let me post them.

Dec 17
23kajas.jpg

May 18
2d993k4.jpg

Now
2h7h2cl.jpg

Last edited:

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is hard to tell because the lighting looks different each time. Any sides? Also I believe 15% of people are non responders to finasteride

Summitcatcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is hard to tell because the lighting looks different each time. Any sides? Also I believe 15% of people are non responders to finasteride

I'm shedding hardly any hair but my hair within the crown/frontal region is definitely thinning. I'm not sure what I could do to reverse this trend.

Sides:
*Tender and flaky scalp.
*Brain fog during the first month or two.
*Dry hair

Summitcatcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm still thinning at a fast pace.
At this point should I just quit using finasteride?

The only change is that my scalp no longer itches or flakes.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In your last 2 pics either its the lighting or your scalp looks.very inflamed . If it feels.warm and inflamed I'd.go see a.derm

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you able to use Minoxidil foam (the liquid will be too irritating)?

You hair looks the same to me as the before pictures, not worse. Finasteride is also most successful in white men (significantly better), perhaps due to genetics and the type of hair. You can try adding Duasteride twice/week in addition to Finasteride 5x per week or add the Minoxidil foam once/day. You can also use caffeine shampoo.

german89

Established Member
Reaction score
i feel you. but tbh: even diffuse thinning doesnt look bad at all with darker skin. did you ever consider to just shave it off? i bet it would look good!

Summitcatcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
i feel you. but tbh: even diffuse thinning doesnt look bad at all with darker skin. did you ever consider to just shave it off? i bet it would look good!

I shaved it down to level one. 1.5 weeks ago, I guess I may have to buy my own clippers to maintain that level.

Summitcatcher

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your last 2 pics either its the lighting or your scalp looks.very inflamed . If it feels.warm and inflamed I'd.go see a.derm
Will do

Are you able to use Minoxidil foam (the liquid will be too irritating)?

You hair looks the same to me as the before pictures, not worse. Finasteride is also most successful in white men (significantly better), perhaps due to genetics and the type of hair. You can try adding Duasteride twice/week in addition to Finasteride 5x per week or add the Minoxidil foam once/day. You can also use caffeine shampoo.

Ill look into it. At the moment I'm using finasteride and teatree shampoo for my hair.

Also my hair has definitely gotten worse, my lineups/shapeups aren't as defined now due to the thinning. Also people.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will do

Ill look into it. At the moment I'm using finasteride and teatree shampoo for my hair.

Also my hair has definitely gotten worse, my lineups/shapeups aren't as defined now due to the thinning. Also people.

I agree with the above, at least for black men shaving it totally does not look bad. For white guys it has the potential to look weird.