23 Years Old finasteride Losing Effectiveness (pics Included)

hamburgler

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride only for about 2 years to the date. Currently 23 years old, started when I was 21. Never used minoxidil, nizoral or anything else. I jumped on finasteride at the first site of hairloss. Nobody could tell except for me. Even today, people probably can't tell. The only person who ever asked if I was losing my hair was my sister. It's not bad, but it's the worst it's ever been at this point. I'd say I'm about a Norwood 1.5/2 and I believe I'm slowly diffusing all over. I have posted some pics that highlight my hairloss. It is not how I currently wear my hair. I wear it in a bun sometimes and wear a hat often. I know that is not what is causing my hairloss or miniaturization. am able to cover it up fairly easily for now. Just wanted a few questions answered:

1. Would adding nizoral 2% potentially help fix this? If so, how often should I use?

2. Do you guys think minoxidil is the smart way to go? I terrified of the shed (I know, we all are) and I'm terrified that it may not work for me, thus really screwing myself over after a potential shed. If i did start, I'd probably just do it once a day.

3. What Norwood would you say I am?

4. Since I am young and haven't had intense hairloss to date, is there hope for me with future treatments? How scared should I be.

Attachments

• left side vertex.png
    left side vertex.png
    999.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • left temple.png
    left temple.png
    997 KB · Views: 919
  • part.png
    part.png
    858 KB · Views: 954
  • right side vertex.png
    right side vertex.png
    842 KB · Views: 1,229
  • crown.png
    crown.png
    993.2 KB · Views: 925
  • hairline.png
    hairline.png
    795.1 KB · Views: 1,610
Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
You did not post a frontal pic of the hairline.
Impossible to say what Norwood you are.
I think your hair looks overall healthy.
About minoxidil... today we have fina and minoxidil.
If fina does not satisfy you... what is the logiCal next step?

hamburgler

My Regimen
Reaction score
You did not post a frontal pic of the hairline.
Impossible to say what Norwood you are.
I think your hair looks overall healthy.
About minoxidil... today we have fina and minoxidil.
If fina does not satisfy you... what is the logiCal next step?

Sorry, hairline pic didn't upload. It is up now. The problem is that fina seems to be getting less effective over time and I am starting to see a loss of hair density. I fear this will continue over time.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, hairline pic didn't upload. It is up now. The problem is that fina seems to be getting less effective over time and I am starting to see a loss of hair density. I fear this will continue over time.
Minimal hair loss if any.
Minoxidil's shed is not so terrible. Many people do not even notice it. I would try it out.

hamburgler

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minimal hair loss if any.
Minoxidil's shed is not so terrible. Many people do not even notice it. I would try it out.
I know the hair loss is minimal right now. It's hard to see with these pictures, but I did the best I could. In your opinion, should I add nizoral and wait on minoxidil? I don't want to make my hair dependent on minoxidil if I may not need to right now, especially with the potential of new treatments coming out in the near future. Thank you for the help.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
But you don't make ALL of your hair dependent on minoxidil.
Only the additional hair that minoxidil grows.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy sh*t you have the same f*****g pattern that I have, never seen that, minimal temple recession with single thick hairs still in that area and thinning all over the top. I used Minoxidil and it is working but I think I just have had my second shed, still above baseline tho and on Finasteride for one and a half months as well.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're a Norwood 1 with thinning occuring at the hair line. I don't think you're diffusing

hamburgler

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy sh*t you have the same f*****g pattern that I have, never seen that, minimal temple recession with single thick hairs still in that area and thinning all over the top. I used Minoxidil and it is working but I think I just have had my second shed, still above baseline tho and on Finasteride for one and a half months as well.
Weird! I've also never seen anyone else with the same pattern. Was there ever a time when the minoxidil made it worse than baseline? Have you ever used nizoral?

g.i joey

Reaction score
Norwood 2, in the hairline pic you're losing a lot of temple ground on one of your sides. Stick to the big 3 and pray god let's us young aggressive balders hold onto what we have. Amen.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't think I'm losing on the sides or crown? I definitely am.
I can't see any hair loss on the sides or crown. It's possible, you know your hair better than anyone else, but from the pictures I see no hair loss there.
Being able to see scalp doesn't mean you have hair loss. It means you have a bright light pointing at your head with your hair parted.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Weird! I've also never seen anyone else with the same pattern. Was there ever a time when the minoxidil made it worse than baseline? Have you ever used nizoral?

After 2-3 weeks I shed many miniaturised hair strands, which made it overall a little bit thinner but now after 5 months I am still above baseline, except that my hairline took a hit, but there are plenty 2-3mm long hairs coming back, maybe finasterid is helping, don't know, I can't really give a feedback after this short of a time period.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
+1 here one more with the same pattern. But your diffuse loss is barely noticeable. I guess with wet hair is another story. That what happens to me.

hamburgler

My Regimen
Reaction score
+1 here one more with the same pattern. But your diffuse loss is barely noticeable. I guess with wet hair is another story. That what happens to me.
Yes, it is definitely more noticeable when it is wet. Not terribly, but beginning to slowly get worse. May I ask how long you've been shedding and how you've been treating it?

hamburgler

My Regimen
Reaction score
bro you are not diffusing in the crown or mid scalp, this is a normal part .
perhaps i need to show it when wet. i'm not sure these pics illustrate the thinning very well. i can pull a few miniaturized hair out of those parts pretty much at will and i am slowly losing density in those parts.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely more noticeable when it is wet. Not terribly, but beginning to slowly get worse. May I ask how long you've been shedding and how you've been treating it?
I just noticed shedding after 3 months on minoxidil. My treatment is topical+oral finasteride. 8 months so far. I was waaaaay worse than you before I started.