23 y/o, NW3, Advice sought

el_camino

Reaction score
Hey, thanks again for all the advice so far. So I ended up (after much delaying and worrying) going with Proscar cut into quarters. I've been on it just over two weeks now. Haven't noticed any serious side effects so far (touch wood). Maybe a tiny bit of pain in testes once or twice and slightly reduced libido, but tbh that might be all in my head.

I think I'm ready to add minoxidil and nizoral now, so what's the best way to use these? And should I get foam or liquid minoxidil?

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
Those aren't the big 3.

I'd recommend you getting on the right BIG 3:
1) Finasteride (propecia or proscar);
2) Dutasteride (Avodart);
3) Spironolactone.

Then you can actually expect regrowth.

Finasteride alone won't help jack ****.

Starting with finasteride is not a bad idea at all.

spanish

Reaction score
I would advise trying rogain foam it dries much faster than the liquid and is a lot less greasy if you want to save some money you could use foam in the morning and liquid in the evening. Its worked well for me so far.

el_camino

Reaction score
Hello again. I've changed my routine a bit, I was getting some pain/discomfort so I've changed to taking 1mg finasteride every other day, which has eliminated the pain and discomfort. I'm also using 5% minoxidil every night before bed, I can't bring myself to use it in the morning too though, it makes my hair look greasy. I've looked at the foam, but I can't find it cheap anywhere.

Now I'm ready to introduce Nizoral shampoo, so I was wondering how and when should I use this? e.g. in the shower do you really have to stand there for 5mins with it applied before rinsing it out? That sounds like a real nuisance...

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again. I've changed my routine a bit, I was getting some pain/discomfort so I've changed to taking 1mg finasteride every other day, which has eliminated the pain and discomfort. I'm also using 5% minoxidil every night before bed, I can't bring myself to use it in the morning too though, it makes my hair look greasy. I've looked at the foam, but I can't find it cheap anywhere.

Now I'm ready to introduce Nizoral shampoo, so I was wondering how and when should I use this? e.g. in the shower do you really have to stand there for 5mins with it applied before rinsing it out? That sounds like a real nuisance...

Well, the way i did it was to start with the nizoral first, apply and let it do its thing while you wash the other parts of you,
which I would guesstimate to be sufficient time, and finally rinsing the nizoral off. Done.

bmilla35

Reaction score
What I usually do whenever I have to leave a shampoo/conditioner in my hair for longer periods to help its effect is apply the said product and then leave it in while you wash your body and shave. By the end it's usually 5 minutes (depending of course on your body size, hairiness, and level of cleanliness you want to achieve lol).

I'm curious as to how your routine has affected your hairline. I'm now 24 and also a NW3, losing hair since around 21 (our main differences in history being my family shows almost no sign of hairloss! I'm the anomaly)

Best of luck!

el_camino

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I think I'll start using it twice a week as well then, and I'll try to leave it in for around 5mins I guess.

I'm curious as to how your routine has affected your hairline. I'm now 24 and also a NW3, losing hair since around 21 (our main differences in history being my family shows almost no sign of hairloss! I'm the anomaly)

Hey, well I started on 1mg finasteride at the end of February, and minoxidil about 3 weeks ago. I haven't seen any positive change yet, but I don't think I've been using the treatments nearly long enough to make a judgement as to whether it's working or not. I figure I'll give it a year, and then decide whether I want to keep going. TBH I even just feel better knowing that I'm trying something. I just hope I'm giving it the best shot I can!