23 Y/o Diffuse Thinning - Should I Buzz My Long Hair?

George10101

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 23 years old and always had thin hair but I’ve been thinning for the past few years. I’ve had long hair almost all my life and it’s part of my identity and look but I think it’s just about at the point of be buzzing it.

Check the photos and see if you think I should buzz it or not. I’m concerned about head shape and what’s under there. If yes, how should I buzz it or do I need to completely razor shave?

Cheers!

Attachments

• E9FC9430-8F72-4298-A639-A3CF644DB850.jpeg
    E9FC9430-8F72-4298-A639-A3CF644DB850.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 557
  • DCF20123-0020-4C0B-8C1F-5C225CE2BE1E.jpeg
    DCF20123-0020-4C0B-8C1F-5C225CE2BE1E.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 570
  • 487CF2A4-835E-47EC-B789-145A343D2535.jpeg
    487CF2A4-835E-47EC-B789-145A343D2535.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 578
  • 2DBC586E-541D-494E-8DB9-E0D13891B1F3.jpeg
    2DBC586E-541D-494E-8DB9-E0D13891B1F3.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 540

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, if you want to keep your long hair, you have options, meds, or maybe a hair system (just a partial). Meds, may or may not work, a hair system will give you instant hair. If you don't want to go through that, then you can buzz, for sure. But going from long hair to no hair is a HUGE step.

I would buzz it first, and then go shorter, and then maybe shave it.

These guys are really helpful, and supportive if you wish to go that route.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/

If you are interested in maybe trying a hair system... ping me, I can give you the info. Up until recently I had long hair (14"), and have a couple of friends who are also doing long hair.

Best,

Steve

Opimopi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you willing to trial the hairloss medication? If yes get on it now. No but don’t want to shave your head yet? Google Toppik, it’ll make your hair look thick and not balding.

Hussam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Jump on finasteride 1mg daily immediately that's the only option out there and may add minoxidil later!!

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This may sound odd, but what about buzzing it short and starting a regimen. It will be easier to apply minoxidil, microneedle, or whatever else you decide. Then you can slowly see how it looks as it grows

George10101

My Regimen
Reaction score
This may sound odd, but what about buzzing it short and starting a regimen. It will be easier to apply minoxidil, microneedle, or whatever else you decide. Then you can slowly see how it looks as it grows

I was using Nioxin for years and I don’t think it did much. I’ve considered finasteride but I’m concerned about the side effects. I like the idea of buzzing it and embracing it but not sure if I’ll look a whole lot more bald if I buss it short?

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was using Nioxin for years and I don’t think it did much. I’ve considered finasteride but I’m concerned about the side effects. I like the idea of buzzing it and embracing it but not sure if I’ll look a whole lot more bald if I buss it short?
I'm not familiar with Nioxin or what it's supposed to do, but it's obviously not working much if at all. Maybe go the nizoral route. I too worried about finasteride even though I decided to start taking it. No sides yet, but I've been on it for not even 3 months quite yet. I'm guessing buzzing it will make it look less obvious that you're thinning, but I'm not sure. The shorter I cut my hair, the fuller it looked for whatever reason. I know it's expensive and probably a much bigger nuisance but there are topical finasteride treatments that are less likely to affect your hormone levels (except on your scalp and hair follicles of cours). Anyways, minoxidil, nizoral, and microneedling might be something to look into.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

To be honest, it's possible that the thin areas will stand out more if the hair is shorter, you won't know if you don't try. If you are "embracing it", that is really the only option, besides shaving it. At least if you shave it... there are no "thin spots", and you are no longer "balding", but have a shaved head.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Never undervalue the importance of speaking to a good hair-stylist. They can advise on what cut would suit best, taking into account your thinning, natural hair type, hairline etc. Cosmetic thickeners will also help (personally I've used Mane for years with longish hair but there's plenty on the market).