23 and seriously considering..

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 23, 24 in May and my hairline is starting to receed bad in my eyes, espically on the right side, it's to the point where i can see my scalp thru the front of my hair and the line from ear to ear across the top of my head where my hair is starting to receed and how its gonna go..its not as badly receeded on the left side, but i can see it's also going and the thinning is going up into my hair..i'm thinking of maybe going to get a transplant just in that area, i dont think i'd need much maybe around 500 hairs or so to fill it in, im ok everywhere else it seems and i figure well if i do this and take care of this now, and pay for it it might be better then paying alot of money for other treatments that might not work and if i can get this taken care of in the front i'll feel so much better about myself, do you guys think this is a good choice?
There's a Doctor named Dr. Brandy in Pittsburgh that i could go to its not far and i heard he's pretty good, bosley is near too but i've heard bad things bout them so i dont think ill go to them, maybe for a consultation since they are both in the same area.
But Im thinking this might be a good, permanent quick fix for something that is really bothering me in everyway so im thinking since i wont need much work done it probably wont be expensive and be a good fix for it, what do you guys think?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi Chris -

This is the big question with hair transplants. Whether to go with the treatments, or get the transplant and "just be done with it".

Couple of important things to note. Transplants on a new hair loss sufferer usually don't mean you'll just be done with it. You will continue to thin and lose those hairs that exist there. Any responsible hair transplant doctor may not even agree to do a procedure on you at this stage. Especially if you're experiencing preliminary thinning up front, along with recession. The % chances that Propecia & rogaine will work for you are incredibly high at this time in your life, but it is totally your choice.

Biggest factor to keep in mind though, is that you may have 10 miniaturizing hairs up front, and then implant 5 ones that will never fall out because they came from the back of your head. In 5 years, those 10 miniaturizing hairs will continue to miniaturize, and eventually fall out... and you'll be left with 5 hairs, and look like ***. :)

Don't be caught off guard. The doctor may do the procedure, but its very common for transplant doctors to then tell their patience to get their butts on Propecia and Rogaine immediately afterwards, to maintain those hairs that are still there.

Either way, I have a feeling you're going to be going on the treatments. I would suggest using Nizoral shampoo once every 3 days (let it soak in while you shower!) and Propecia 1mg daily, and Rogaine 5% two times per day. Give yourself at least a good year of using these things religiously, and ride out any shedding you may experience. I strongly believe you will be very happy with what you have at the end of the first year. So much so that you wont be considering a transplant anymore.

Martin came to me with your exact comments, and I gave him this exact same advice .... have you seen what happened?

Check out all 3/4 pages of his photo bio, especially the last page, where we compare his baseline to 1 year results. He was going to get a transplant too ...

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/photogallery/pgmartin.htm

Good Luck, and keep us posted. Please feel free to post your story in the "Tell Your Story" section too!

HairLossTalk.com

G

Chris,

HairLossTalk.com's advice was good. Caution and knowledge with these matters is very important.

#1 Look beyond your hometown for a doctor. Look at all your options. I have not heard anything good about this Brandy character. Search Hasson and Wong(canada), Jones(Canada) , Cole, Wolf, Alvi. There are others. Spending the extra money in the long will be well worth it. Also research strip vs. Fue. A "touch up" should be done with FUE's, IMHO.

#2 Look inot your family history. HOw far are you going to bald? How fast are you going to bald? Very important for reasons HairLossTalk.com stated. If you can get away with a touch up and have a nice hairline while maintaining other hair with treatments would be great. However, this is risky to say the least.

I say wait, get on treatment to see how well they work, because after the hair transplant the doctor should put you on them anyway. So it's probably better to see how they work first and how your body responds. Your'e too young and only have a receded hairline, to get a "touch up". A "touch up" should be for the guy who has alreasy a had a big hair transplant session and is going back to make a better hairline.

However, if you have a good doctor and your balding is not severe, you could get way with it.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi HairLossTalk.com, and Bob thank you both for your great advice. Deep down I know I'm going to have to get on propecia and minoxidil, but for some reason im scared to death to, i dont know why really, alot of it is the uncertainty of if it'll help me or not, i think also the life commitment involved, financally isnt really a big worry cause if i can fix this my self esteem and good hair i'll get from it will be well worth it in my eyes, myaybe alot of it is finally admitting to myself that i need this stuff, my hair was always my fav. feature on me, still is so i think most of it is mental also, I read your story HairLossTalk.com and the thign that worriees me is like if something happens to me with propecia as it did u, the reaction a few yrs down the road and i gotta stop taking it, ill lose whatever i've gained from it if anything and ill be right back where iam now, probably worse, thats alot of the reason im afraid to do it too, everytime i convince myself to just go for it, i find another reason to delay it for some reason.
You sound liek you really believe in your advice though so I will make an appointment with a derm. to get the prescritpion for it and get it over with i think uve seen my hairline pics before so hopefully this will work for me.

G

Chris,

Look at it this way. Treatments are needed no matter what. Just getting an hair transplant will certainly not solve you problems right now. Especially, just a hairline "touch up"

If you go the non-treatmen route, then you must at least wait unilt you are 35 to get an hair transplant. Then you will be ablr to make a better judgment of what the future hold. Also, you will be able to get way with one nice big session and maybe a "touch up" and be good for life. If you get a hair transplant now, with no treatment, beleive me you will look and feel a hell of a lot worse than you do now. Even if you get an hair transplant now, and take treatments, but they don;t work then you're f*cked as well.

That's why you should get on treatments, wait a year and then reassess you situation. And I have not seen your hairline, but trust me, this is the way to go. If treatments work, and you are confident that you can maintain your hair, then by all means get that "touch up". Make sure you pick a good DR. and be ready to spend money.

The biggest mistake for us guys is getting anxious because of our vanity and do stupid things.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
How about Revivogen around my hairline? i was reading on it on this site and it looks pretty good, what do you guys think? If i would use it would i have to use it forever? I havent really seen many posts on it, think i should try it?

G

Chris23 said:
Hi, I'm 23, 24 in May and my hairline is starting to receed bad in my eyes, espically on the right side, it's to the point where i can see my scalp thru the front of my hair and the line from ear to ear across the top of my head where my hair is starting to receed and how its gonna go..its not as badly receeded on the left side, but i can see it's also going and the thinning is going up into my hair..i'm thinking of maybe going to get a transplant just in that area, i dont think i'd need much maybe around 500 hairs or so to fill it in, im ok everywhere else it seems and i figure well if i do this and take care of this now, and pay for it it might be better then paying alot of money for other treatments that might not work and if i can get this taken care of in the front i'll feel so much better about myself, do you guys think this is a good choice?
There's a Doctor named Dr. Brandy in Pittsburgh that i could go to its not far and i heard he's pretty good, bosley is near too but i've heard bad things bout them so i dont think ill go to them, maybe for a consultation since they are both in the same area.
But Im thinking this might be a good, permanent quick fix for something that is really bothering me in everyway so im thinking since i wont need much work done it probably wont be expensive and be a good fix for it, what do you guys think?

As HairLossTalk.com said, assume that you will need to continue treatments post transplant. That is a given.

Good luck

fro

Established Member
Reaction score
The science behind reviviogen may be solid, but in reality the potential result of combined propecia and minoxidil treatment far exceeds the potential result with revivogen. I have not heard one legitimate claim that revivogen is doing anything for them in terms of hair regrowth or even maintenance, only testimonials on THEIR website. In short, don't waste your money.

G

fro said:
The science behind reviviogen may be solid, but in reality the potential result of combined propecia and minoxidil treatment far exceeds the potential result with revivogen. I have not heard one legitimate claim that revivogen is doing anything for them in terms of hair regrowth or even maintenance, only testimonials on THEIR website. In short, don't waste your money.

Actually HairLossTalk.com has used revivigen with good results. I am using crinagen and am also happy with it.

G

Chris23 said:
what kinda results have you seen from it bruce?

My current regimen is certainly holding its own. Hair looks good, no more loss that I can notice.

All topical, all the time!!

:lol: