22 year old w/ receding temples. :(

ryohazuki

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thought I'd introduce myself and tell my story finally to hopefully start combating against this. So heres my story...

I'm a 22 year old male whos suffering from hair loss in my temple area. Lately, i've been noticing it a lot more and I thought it was finally time to do something about it. One thing that really bothers me, is that I don't think it has to do with my genetics. My moms side of my family, they all have FULL hair, and I mean extremely thick hair. My fathers side all have full hair as well, not as thick but a full head nonetheless with no signs of balding at all. I think I started noticing it more when I was 19 that my hair was thinning out in the temple region, moreso when I was 20. After that, it was a constant annoyance to notice being I never had to deal with it before.

I'm thinking maybe it was caused by stress. Within that time period, I was kind of going through some tough times, but I don't know if it was that drastic, but then again I can't judge on how my body would respond to it. More so now after I became 20 I dealt with a lot more stress until now and I think I lost more hair as a result of it in those areas. I also have a widows peak which makes it worst looking. My crown is still full, with no signs of anything happening. To be honest, all of this is really hitting me hard now, and it is really depressing and hard to deal with.

At one point though, I wasn't taking any hair loss treatment or anything, and some of my hair grew back. The area got darker and the hair got thicker, and I'm not sure what exactly is going on.

I don't know what else to say to be honest but to just show the pictures of what I'm dealing with right now.

( I can't seem to upload any pics so I guess i'll post links.)

Left Side temple
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Ryo ... 115125.jpg

Left Side Temple again
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Ryo ... 184322.jpg

Right Side
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Ryo ... 115132.jpg

Right side again
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Ryo ... 184407.jpg

Reaction score
That is classical Male Pattern Baldness man. It has nothing to do with stress or poor diet and so on, it's genetical.

Finasteride and Minoxidil is the way to go here if you want to keep your hair. It looks pretty aggressive for your age but the meds could very well keep it and maybe even regrow some hair!

If you choose not to get on meds it will only get worse, trust me.

ryohazuki

Reaction score
2025 said:
That is classical Male Pattern Baldness man. It has nothing to do with stress or poor diet and so on, it's genetical.

Finasteride and Minoxidil is the way to go here if you want to keep your hair. It looks pretty aggressive for your age but the meds could very well keep it and maybe even regrow some hair!

If you choose not to get on meds it will only get worse, trust me.

I'm just curious as to why everyone in my family has a full head of hair? I mean EVERYONE. I can't name one person in my family thats balding. Also, is it possible to explain why I lost so much hair but then it grew back on one side when I wasn't taking any meds? The right side of my temple was more identical to the left side, but then it started looking a little more fuller but nothing drastic.

And I thought Telogen Effluvium was one of the hair loss processes caused by stress and other events?

Reaction score
Telogen effluvium doesnt make your hairline recede like that, male pattern baldness do.

It skips generations, someone on one side of your family must have carried that gene and you ended up getting it, it sucks i know, but denial is just a waste of time - the sooner you get on meds the more hair you get to keep!

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with the lads sentiments, Telogen Effluvium doesn't cause your hair to recede, it causes clumpy looking hairloss all over but leaves the hairline intact.

Look at your options and do something before it's too late, denial won't help, trust me.

Good luck with your regimen, Ryo Hazuki, your username is a reference to the Shenmue series of videogames, yes?

Moosetache

Reaction score
Hey ryohazuki, welcome to the forum.

Unlike a lot people, I think it is possible that you have significantly exacerbated your hair loss problem with stress factors of all kinds. You very well might have a sensitivity to DHT and other things but I am a firm believer that stress (Trauma, prolonged insomnia, severe anxiety) plays a large role in the hair loss of many who go through harsh bouts of it.

My experience is a little different than yours, initially I had diffuse thinning all over, including on the sides. I came to terms with the reality that I was losing my hair real quick after I had lost probably 35% density. Later, I started slowly receding. I made some very drastic changes in my lifestyle and addressed a lot of issues that were plaguing me. I made meaningful progress over the course of 2-3 years. My hair loss seemingly came to a halt about a year ago, after slowing down for a while. At the moment, my hairline is a little better than yours but perhaps less thick on top and sides.

I finally started 5% rogaine last month, hoping to get some regrowth. All things considered, I think I'm lucky to have caught it early enough.

You can check my thread out if you want some more detailed info.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74173

I'm going to post a 1 month update sometime this week (I started may 5th 2012). Things are going really well.

Also, if you're not opposed to it, I do think using finasteride or dutasteride can make things a whole lot easier with halting your hairloss.

Good luck dude, keep us posted with your progress.

ryohazuki

Reaction score
I didn't mean to come off as if I was in denial, I'm very much aware that it's a problem with hair loss and I've come to terms with that. I wasn't sure if it was actually male pattern baldness or not, that was all. I actually started Nizora 1%, Rogaine 5%, and I also use Nioxin to clean my scalp. I'm iffy on finasteride right now, so that'll be something I'll wait for, but for me I never seem to experience side effects much with medications.

The one thing that's weird to me though, you tell me if its normal cause no one has said anything about it. Is it normal that I loss a lot of hair and like I said my right side was pretty much almost like my left side, but hair grew back on it, so it looks thicker than it did before. This was before any medication or anything.

Also, to IrishFella, indeed my name is a reference to Ryo Hazuki from the Shenmue series. Glad to see a fellow fan. :punk:

Thank you all for the help though, very much appreciated and I hope to get this settled a bit.