22 Year Old Receding At Temples Struggling To Find Answers

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello.

I am a 22 year old male and over the past couple of years I have noticed my hairline receding around the temples. It is hard to notice due to my haircut, and I've also always had a slightly-receded-looking hairline so it's hard to say exactly how long it's been going on. My dad is bald but by my age had less hair than I do. My hair is more similar to my mum's and her hair has thinned significantly with age, and most of the males on her side are bald but I don't know at what age theirs began.

From what I've read, drugs/shampoos are expensive and often have severe side effects. Apparently the only guaranteed way is to pay for transplants, however these are obviously expensive, also have side effects, don't necessarily look convincing, and you have to wait until you've finished receding before it's appropriate to do them.

My diet is okay but could be improved. I don't get much exercise these days and smoke but not much. I also take Elvanse (similar to adderall). Pictured are my hairline age 18 and age 22.

I'm hoping that as I'm catching it early, it can be dealt with.

I've attempted my own research but am struggling due to the vast volume of information on the topic and the amount of contradictions I am coming across. Can anyone please advise me as to the following:
Non-medical ways to slow the process (diet, exercise etc).
The costs and effectivenesses of drugs that can be bought in or shipped to the UK.
Whether I'd be better saving up and going for a transplant.
Any other info that would be useful.

Would would you do in my position at my age?

Thanks

Attachments

• 00del.jpg
    00del.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 368
  • 0del.jpg
    0del.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 360

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have a mop of hair, how can anyone accurately give advice the pictures are garbage

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i don't think you need to worry right now. hairline changes around your age because your head is still growing.

can you post some pictures that give a closer view of the temples? let's also see your top / crown. if you're not losing density up there then it's probably not male pattern baldness.

worst case scenario if you start receding for real, that's due to a genetic predisposition of DHT attacking your hair follicles. it has nothing to do with diet, exercise, or shampoo. unfortunately all you can do to combat that at this point are the drugs finasteride and dutasteride, which kind of work for some people, but you're fighting an uphill battle. on the bright side they are easy to get from a derm, and cheap, and no the side effects aren't severe; they happen to a small minority.

just keep an eye on your hair for the next few months. take pictures from the same position for comparison to track any changes.

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
The non medical ways of slowing hairloss are negligible. Unless you are on heavy doses of androgen steroids you're fine.

99.9% is genetics and by the sounds of your family history you're likely in trouble.

You need to keep close up photos of your hairline and crown and closely review every few months and make a choice aboit jumping on finasteride if you notice further recession. finasteride is pretty easy to get hold of online in the uk.

There's no reason not to use Nizoral