22 year old male

mcmc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looking for advice and/or opinions.

Currently 22 years old. First started noticing some receding last year at this time. Out of no where I was beginning to lose massive amounts of hair in the shower. Before that I never experienced any type of shedding. Shedding mainly occurred in the shower, but would also find hair all over my pillow and occasionally on my clothes. Begin noticing some dandruff at this time as well. Went to the dermatologist immediately and he had no suggestions and said he couldn't help with the shedding. He told me to just go get some rogaine but after looking into rogaine at the time, I read up on the shedding it causes and wanted to stay far away since that was the problem I was trying to fix initially. Unfortunately did not find out about this forum until recently.

Fast forward to present time and my temples do appear to have receded with the U shaped hairline and I have also gotten thinner in the hairline/select areas of the top of my hair. I have always had a higher hairline. Scalp is visible in certain areas of the hairline in direct sunlight and also when wet. I would estimate the shedding went on for between 6-8 months but has now stopped being so severe thankfully. Will still lose a few hairs from the top of my head and sides and back when showering or when I run my hands through my hair. Keep in mind 8 months ago I used to never see any shedding. Crown appears to be ok. Looking to prevent any further receding/hair loss as well as gain back what I lost of course. I understand regrowing in the temple area is difficult. There are a decent amount of small hairs around my hairline still(as seen in pics below), not sure if thats just hair follicles thinning or could potentially be regrowth. Some days my hair looks thicker than others.

Assume I should start on finasteride and maybe Nizoral with it? Will get my DHT levels checked beforehand, if so. Just nervous about shedding and making things look worse, even though I understand things have to look worse to get better unfortunately. Tried to include as many photos as I could. I know where I am at is not necessarily severe, but would like to hear from others members in regards to what I can do to try and catch it early/ a recommended regime from others similar personal experiences. Thanks!

Pictures below:

Current hair:

2013 vs. 2016

Thin areas on scalp when covered by hair/when I brush the hair to the side:

Hair Wet:

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dude, welcome!

It looks like you've got pretty good coverage. I'm assuming your crown is alright? Your hair looks pretty thin right along the temple of your hairline in the first pic, and your temples have receded compared to 2013. Luckily, you can still hide your recession by a longer hairstyle and brushing your down a little bit

Like you've said, it looks like you're receding at the temples to about a Norwood 2-3. If it were me, I'd head to another derm and get their opinion. My opinion is to jump on finasteride, as you've noticed your temples recede in a relatively short period

I'm about your age (24) and am kind of nervous with the sheds from rogaine as well. As such, I've stayed away from it. Currently on Regenepure DR and finasteride. I'm four months in, and I'm not sure if it's really helping but the big three is really all you can do. Hopefully some more experienced posters or mods add their input, but I'd get on it. It really sucks having to deal with this at our age bro. Just know that you're not alone in dealing with this curse!!!

mcmc

Reaction score
Hey dude, welcome!

It looks like you've got pretty good coverage. I'm assuming your crown is alright? Your hair looks pretty thin right along the temple of your hairline in the first pic, and your temples have receded compared to 2013. Luckily, you can still hide your recession by a longer hairstyle and brushing your down a little bit

Like you've said, it looks like you're receding at the temples to about a Norwood 2-3. If it were me, I'd head to another derm and get their opinion. My opinion is to jump on finasteride, as you've noticed your temples recede in a relatively short period

I'm about your age (24) and am kind of nervous with the sheds from rogaine as well. As such, I've stayed away from it. Currently on Regenepure DR and finasteride. I'm four months in, and I'm not sure if it's really helping but the big three is really all you can do. Hopefully some more experienced posters or mods add their input, but I'd get on it. It really sucks having to deal with this at our age bro. Just know that you're not alone in dealing with this curse!!!

Thanks! I agree, should head to another derm and get a second opinion. Crown is still good. Any small noticeable improvements within the last 4 months for you? Had any side effects?

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
I would man, at our age you definitely want to try to fight it. My derm was confident that finasteride would help me given that I'm young and my loss isn't too advanced. I'm more of a diffuse thinner than a temple receder like you, but I'd say our loss is comparable given that we both aren't beyond Norwood 3's.

I think my hair has gotten thicker (my barber agrees) but I think my temples have gotten worse. Overall, not too impressed. No sides whatsoever, and I'm taking more than most (2.5mg) since I suck at cutting the pills lol

mcmc

Reaction score
I would man, at our age you definitely want to try to fight it. My derm was confident that finasteride would help me given that I'm young and my loss isn't too advanced. I'm more of a diffuse thinner than a temple receder like you, but I'd say our loss is comparable given that we both aren't beyond Norwood 3's.

I think my hair has gotten thicker (my barber agrees) but I think my temples have gotten worse. Overall, not too impressed. No sides whatsoever, and I'm taking more than most (2.5mg) since I suck at cutting the pills lol

Good to hear you haven't gotten any sides. Definitely will look into finasteride.

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you haven't gotten any sides. Definitely will look into finasteride.

Thanks bud. If you go to a derm, be sure to ask for generic finasteride. It comes in the form of proscar, which is simply propecia but in 5mg pills. You have to cut it up, but it's MUCH cheaper than the name brand drug, Propecia. With my insurance I pay $10 a month for a 60-day supply, where propecia would run my like $80-$110 for a 30 day

mcmc

Reaction score
Thanks bud. If you go to a derm, be sure to ask for generic finasteride. It comes in the form of proscar, which is simply propecia but in 5mg pills. You have to cut it up, but it's MUCH cheaper than the name brand drug, Propecia. With my insurance I pay $10 a month for a 60-day supply, where propecia would run my like $80-$110 for a 30 day

Ok thanks, will make note of that. Should have a similar situation in regards to the insurance.

molybdenum

Reaction score
I think your hair still looks pretty solid. The comparison shots are tough as your hair is different lengths and styled differently. You definitely have some recession on the temples, but I think the extent to which may be slightly exaggerated due to the differences in hairstyles in the two pictures. There does appear to be miniaturization to the hairline, with some loss in density there. Judging the top of your head is tough with the pictures as presented. I see exposed scalp on the current photo, but your hair has been pushed to the sides from the center out. If you part hair, you are going to see scalp.

I would definitely move forward and seek a prescription, but if this were my hair and my body, I would monitor closely and wait before taking Finasteride.

mcmc

Reaction score
I think your hair still looks pretty solid. The comparison shots are tough as your hair is different lengths and styled differently. You definitely have some recession on the temples, but I think the extent to which may be slightly exaggerated due to the differences in hairstyles in the two pictures. There does appear to be miniaturization to the hairline, with some loss in density there. Judging the top of your head is tough with the pictures as presented. I see exposed scalp on the current photo, but your hair has been pushed to the sides from the center out. If you part hair, you are going to see scalp.

I would definitely move forward and seek a prescription, but if this were my hair and my body, I would monitor closely and wait before taking Finasteride.

Thanks. Will head to a derm for more opinions. I pushed the hair to the side on the top of my head to show scalp due to me not being able to see scalp there before. Do not have a before/after photo of this unfortunately. Certain areas of scalp can be seen in direct sunlight which was not the case previously. Definitely have my precautions about taking finasteride for multiple reasons, appreciate your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks the start of diffuse to me , did it start with crown too ?
Crown is in great shape. Just the miniaturization of hairline/temples receding.

steve4769

Reaction score
Looks good

At the minute, your hair looks normal and if you start some sort of regime now you should be fine bro.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair looks good. Almost everyone on this site would be content with this amount of hair

mcmc

Reaction score
Hair looks good. Almost everyone on this site would be content with this amount of hair
Thanks. Looking for some advice/regime to maintain or somehow grow back in my temples/areas that are thinned and exposed when hair is wet.

shookwun

Reaction score
Finasteride is all you need. It will thicken, and reinforce your hair while inhibiting DHT

The potions, and lotions are all crap.

mcmc

Reaction score
Finasteride is all you need. It will thicken, and reinforce your hair while inhibiting DHT

The potions, and lotions are all crap.

Thanks. If I start on finasteride and see results, is there a typical recommended time frame to stay on it after I see the results I want? Or am I committed to it for the next 2 decades after starting it?

sirap

Reaction score
you stay on it for as long as you want to keep your hair, if you stop the balding process starts back up again, finasteride doesn't do anything to immunize your follicles, it just removes the hormone that is attacking them

shookwun

Reaction score
it removes 70% of DHT.

6-12 months is a good time frame to evaluate your results.

2Young4This

Reaction score
I agree with MoBishop, your temples are definitely receding, but your hair is thick and long, which hides it well. Overall, your hair actually looks really great.

I was on finasteride for 3 months; unfortunately had to stop due to side effects. However, the results were truly fantastic, and it helped my receding temples a lot. Maybe it will be the same for you...without the side effects :).

mcmc

Reaction score
you stay on it for as long as you want to keep your hair, if you stop the balding process starts back up again, finasteride doesn't do anything to immunize your follicles, it just removes the hormone that is attacking them

Got it. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

it removes 70% of DHT.

6-12 months is a good time frame to evaluate your results.

Great, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with MoBishop, your temples are definitely receding, but your hair is thick and long, which hides it well. Overall, your hair actually looks really great.

I was on finasteride for 3 months; unfortunately had to stop due to side effects. However, the results were truly fantastic, and it helped my receding temples a lot. Maybe it will be the same for you...without the side effects :).

Will give it a shot. What sides did you experience if you don't mind me asking?