22 Year-old Male And Stuck In Limbo

Ryan C

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good afternoon to everyone,

I registered here to post my story and hopefully find some new information.

I'm a 22 year old male, 23 in a few months. When I was 13, I started growing facial hair at a rate that was faster than most people in my school. By 16, I was about halfway to a full beard when my hair on my head began thinning all over in typical male-pattern baldness, the same as my father.

But around that time, my facial hair just stopped filling in, almost to a dead-stop. Fast forward almost 7 years later to today, I've continued thinning at a slow but sure rate, and I have almost no new facial hair to speak of. Everyone my age that started balding is now shiny, and everyone that had the genetics to grow a beard (like myself) has finished filling in, years ago now.

I don't understand what happened to me. I still have the patches in my beard of a 16 year old so I refuse to grow it out, and yet I've thinned enough on my head that only one or two hairstyles hide it. I can't go either route with this. For years now, it's felt as though I'm in some sort of limbo.

What might cause someone with fairly rapid facial hair growth during puberty and family genetics of beards to suddenly stop filling in, and could it be related to the unusually slow balding?

Cheers.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not everyone who balds goes fully bald and not everyone who grows facial hair grows a dense beard.

Time to start treatments.

Ryan C

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not everyone who balds goes fully bald and not everyone who grows facial hair grows a dense beard.

Time to start treatments.

I've been on finasteride for nearly 2 years with no results to speak of. I upped my dose from 1mg a day to 2.5mg a day about 3 or 4 months ago with no noticeable effect either. I have no side effects and when compared with short-buzzed haircuts from before starting to now, there hasn't been any improvement. I think I'm thinner than I was back then.