22 and losing 300-600 strands daily :(

roxthefox

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm 22 years old. I've had incredibly long and thick hair my entire life. It's been my best feature, so much so that I've been selected as a hair model for many shows in the past. However, in the fall of 2009, I began noticing my hair thinning and falling out. The shedding wasn't too intense, but for someone who practically never lost hair before (except when I had a perm when I was 13, I had hairballs falling out, but it all grew back in weeks!), it was something to worry about. I began taking hair vitamins, which ceased the shedding, but my hair continued to become thinner and thinner with minor shedding every now and then.

However, at the beginning of this year, around mid-Jan, MASSIVE shedding ensued. Hair brush full, drain clogged, hair EVERYWHERE. It was alarming and unbearable to watch. Once I brushed my hair and the entire sink was full, I ended up screaming. I started counting the hair loss... on days that I wash my hair (which I've reduced to twice/three times a week, I lose about 550 strands of hair. Rest of the days, anywhere from 200-300. I got my bloodwork done and everything, with the exception of Vitamin D, was fine.

I was told by both my family doctor and dermatologist that I had hereditary hair loss (Androgenetic Alopecia). At first, I didn't believe it, because all the women in my family had thick hair. However, I went for a vacation back home last month and noticed that all my female cousins from my dad's side (who is also bald), are also experiencing this problem.

For the past 6-7 months, I've been taking hair vitamins, biotin religiously. I've also started on iron supplements, Vitamin D, digestive enzymes and probiotics. Additionally, I use various types of oil in my hair at least once a week, by massaging my scalp with it and leaving it in overnight. I've been on Rogaine (5%) for about a month now.

I'm incredibly depressed and I cry on a daily basis. At this rate, I have no doubt that I will go bald. If anyone has any tips and advice, please do share. I also wonder whether or not I have Telogen Effluvium? Because my hair shed absolutely accelerated 6 months ago, after I was ill for about a month and came off from a crash diet.

Anita1978

Reaction score
hi lovely

i know its not much consolation at present, but you will get through this. i was in my late teens when i started losing my hair so i know how devestating it feels

stick with the rogaine, although i will be honest, it tends to help stablise hair loss as opposed to actually grow it back. there are some who have reported growth, but not many.

there are so many things you can do to make yourself look and feel better.

Are you using anything to cover your hair loss?

xxx