21M looking for advice

lookingforhairhelp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,
Two years ago I started taking finasteride at Norwood 1. Every day I take 1mg when I wake up. I think it might have slowed my hair loss but I'm now a Norwood 2 or 3 with a couple of centimetres of thinning at the front. The hairs at the front also seem to grow slower than the rest, or just be that they shed more frequently.

I recently did a finger prick hair loss blood test with Medichecks. I had the following results:
SHBG 38.8 nmol/L
CRP HS 0.08 mg/L
Ferritin 142 ug/L
TSH 4.59 mIU/L
Free Thyroxine 17.2 pmol/L
Testosterone 24.5 nmol/L
Free androgen index 63.14
I did this test when I woke up without eating for more than 12 hours.

My twin brother is also losing his hair. He started losing his hair slightly before me and he used only Regaine. He used it for 18 months, twice every day. A lot of his hair fell out and he had no regrowth. He stopped using it probably a year ago. Since he stopped using it he had some hair regrow but his hairline is a lot more receeded than mine and his hair is a lot thinner.

I'm looking for advice on what I should do to try to fix my hair loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,
Two years ago I started taking finasteride at Norwood 1. Every day I take 1mg when I wake up. I think it might have slowed my hair loss but I'm now a Norwood 2 or 3 with a couple of centimetres of thinning at the front. The hairs at the front also seem to grow slower than the rest, or just be that they shed more frequently.

I recently did a finger prick hair loss blood test with Medichecks. I had the following results:
SHBG 38.8 nmol/L
CRP HS 0.08 mg/L
Ferritin 142 ug/L
TSH 4.59 mIU/L
Testosterone 24.5 nmol/L

My twin brother is also losing his hair. He started losing his hair slightly before me and he used only Regaine. He used it for 18 months, twice every day. A lot of his hair fell out and he had no regrowth. He stopped using it probably a year ago. Since he stopped using it he had some hair regrow but his hairline is a lot more receeded than mine and his hair is a lot thinner.

I'm looking for advice on what I should do to try to fix my hair loss. Any help would be much appreciated.
Topical anti androgens like RU. Min would help too.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hi all,

SHBG 38.8 nmol/L
CRP HS 0.08 mg/L
Ferritin 142 ug/L
TSH 4.59 mIU/L
Testosterone 24.5 nmol/L

Some endocrinologists would say you might be subclinical hypothyroid. You should have done a thyroid antiboidies test too.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
How serious is that and how likely is that to be the cause of my hair loss? Do I need to see a GP for it?
It's best to rule it out first and then go from there. You can see your GP for testing. Low thyroid can cause diffuse hair loss. From your photo it looks like male pattern baldness which might not have anything to do with your thyroid.