2130 FUE Dr De Reys Belgium Aug 2013

nohairline

Reaction score
Last year I had a 2 day FUE session with Dr De Reys in Belgium and thought i'd share my experience seeing as my decision to do FUE with Dr De Reys was driven by the education i found on these forums.

First of all i'd like to thank everyone who provides their experience it really helped me to make a more informed decision and get as much info about FUE as possible.

Im not going to go to much into detail about Dr De Reys all I can say is i'm really happy that chose him and he and his wife really looked after me and made me feel welcome and that i think he is an excellent FUE surgeon and they work well together as a team. They also fed me throughout the day and made sure I had everything I needed.

I have had a receding hairline for a long time now and it really was effecting my confidence so after researching for 6+ months I decided that FUE was the way I was going to go. I also have had many years of trying different medications, laser gimmicks, and herbal treatments with no luck.

On the first day the Dr picked me up from the hotel and took me to his house where he does the procedure. He drew my hairline first and gave me two options to choose from which i thought was good. His wife then shaved my head and we started the procedure

The procedure was over 2 days and i ended up getting 2130 grafts. Im not sure what the ratio of single/double/triple were however he told me that I have very thin hair (but very dense on the sides and back) so i expect there weren't many triples, more likely doubles and singles.

I originally paid for 2500 grafts but the doctor said i only required 2100 as by the end of day 1 we had achieved a nice hairline. He gave me a refund for the remaining grafts.

Both days were broken up into 2 parts. Extraction and implantation. Extraction went for a few hours each morning and implantation too up all of both afternoons.

The Dr did all the extractions and he and his wife worked together on the implantations. Sometimes they swapped while one had a break.

For me the procedure was not a nice experience (i assume its the same for everyone?). There were many times throughout the procedure where i questioned my reasoning for doing it. But when it got to the end of each day seeing my hairline (or potential hairline) made all the pain worthwhile (providing i get a good result!). The extraction was actually the better part for me, although it is uncomfortable lying on the operation bed for that long with the anaesthetic i did not feel much pain.

The implantation however was a different story... For me it was very painful, even with anaesthetic. Im not sure if it was because on the front part of the scalp maybe the anaesthetic didn't take to well in some parts? Im not sure. The injections are painful but when the Dr cuts the 'slits' in the scalp, that was where the most pain was for me. Even where the anaesthetic was working you can also feel the slits being made and someone cutting into your scalp is not a nice experience. Its a strange feeling because it feels a lot worse than it looked once i saw the final result. It felt like he was cutting 1cm wide cuts in my scalp but when i looked it wasn't bad at all. I'm not sure if the feelings are magnified because its the front of the scalp or what but it wasn't nice and it was the longest part of the procedure.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, serif]Anyway, by the end of both days I was very happy it was over, especially day two. Like i am very happy with the results.[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1 pre op.jpg
    1 pre op.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 793
  • 2 pre op.jpg
    2 pre op.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 623
  • 3. pre op.jpg
    3. pre op.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 724
  • 4. pre op.jpg
    4. pre op.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 570
  • 5. day 1.jpg
    5. day 1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 570
  • 6. day 1.jpg
    6. day 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 532
  • 7. morning day 2.jpg
    7. morning day 2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 715
  • 8. end day 2.jpg
    8. end day 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 608

nohairline

Reaction score
More photos

Attachments

• 9 end day 2.jpg
    9 end day 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 470
  • 10. end day 2.jpg
    10. end day 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 487
  • 12 day 6.jpg
    12 day 6.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 621
  • 13. day 9.jpg
    13. day 9.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 450
  • 16. two months.jpg
    16. two months.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 496
  • 15. one month.jpg
    15. one month.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 14. one month.jpg
    14. one month.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 607
  • 17. two months.jpg
    17. two months.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 573

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Congratulations your decision has left you with superb results. Thanks for generously taking the energy to give back to the forum. Sadly we are in short supply of shared positive experiences around here. Happy recovery and all the best.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
as for the anesthesia you may be like me and a little resilient to the "cains".

Novocain/etc last about 10 minutes in me and then I have to be triple dosed. The Doctor who did mine nerve blocked me but even that stopped working after the 2nd time and I just let them keep going. At the worst its the equivalent of getting a tattoo so I grinned and bared it.

Good job. How long before you started noticing growth? Was is all at once or patchy/sporadic? Did you deal with ingrowns?

I keep meaning to post pics of mine but its so hard to get to get good ones because all I have is my camera on my phone.
Im noticing growth but for me it seems to be really patchy as of now (only like 4 months in, little less I think).
Ive read that depending on the shed state of the implanted hair this is normal and just to wait the full 12 months.
Im SOOOO weird in that there was like NO HAIR one day then the next day the hairline area just had these like 2 inch long super thick hairs on it. then more appeared. I have had ZERO ingrowns as well in the recipient.

Glad yours looks so good

nohairline

Reaction score
They fell out and started growing in patches so i had a bit of a hairline after about 2 months but it wasn't until about month 4 that it really started filling in. Yep i had quite a few pimples i don't think they were ingrowns though? they might have been but they weren't too bad. I was using a bit of concealer then so it blended in pretty well.

We could be the same with the pain killers but Ive got a few tattoos and mine was way worse than that! Anyway hopefully i don't have to do it again… Thanks for the feedback mate

as for the anesthesia you may be like me and a little resilient to the "cains".

Novocain/etc last about 10 minutes in me and then I have to be triple dosed. The Doctor who did mine nerve blocked me but even that stopped working after the 2nd time and I just let them keep going. At the worst its the equivalent of getting a tattoo so I grinned and bared it.

Good job. How long before you started noticing growth? Was is all at once or patchy/sporadic? Did you deal with ingrowns?

I keep meaning to post pics of mine but its so hard to get to get good ones because all I have is my camera on my phone.
Im noticing growth but for me it seems to be really patchy as of now (only like 4 months in, little less I think).
Ive read that depending on the shed state of the implanted hair this is normal and just to wait the full 12 months.
Im SOOOO weird in that there was like NO HAIR one day then the next day the hairline area just had these like 2 inch long super thick hairs on it. then more appeared. I have had ZERO ingrowns as well in the recipient.

Glad yours looks so good

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations your decision has left you with superb results. Thanks for generously taking the energy to give back to the forum. Sadly we are in short supply of shared positive experiences around here. Happy recovery and all the best.

Thanks for the feedback and no problems. Like i said these kind of forums really helped with information before i made the decision so hopefully sharing my experience will do the same for others

- - - Updated - - -

More photos. One at 3 months and the last one was just the other day at 9 months

Attachments

• 18. three month.jpg
    18. three month.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 661
  • 19. nine months.jpg
    19. nine months.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 970

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Good question.
That's an impressive result! I had a hair transplant with Dr. De Reys too, roughly three weeks ago, and the transplanted hairs are really starting to go.

It gives me hope about my future result.

You say the hair began to grow after two months, have you been using minoxidil after the procedure?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's an impressive result! I had a hair transplant with Dr. De Reys too, roughly three weeks ago, and the transplanted hairs are really starting to go.

You say the hair began to grow after two months, have you been using minoxidil after the procedure?

They say to wait a few weeks before using minoxidil again. Then resume as normal as it should help the new hairs grow.

nohairline

Reaction score

Hi Fred, No I'm not using minoxidil. Dr De Reys prescribed me finasteride which I've been taking since the operation. I had used it previously for about 6 months but it was so expensive i stopped taking it. I didn't notice any results then but i wasn't taking it long.

Good luck with you results i hope it goes well for you. I am really happy with my result

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
growth in TWO MONTHS? Thats insane. Im just STARTING to see growth in patches at 4 months. Wish I was that well off. Congrats.
I know it grows in cycles but I have a few tiny bare patches that Im worried the follicles died.
Did your patches look like semi undesnse areas mixed with bare spots until it filled in?

thanks

RonBurgondy

Reaction score
@nohairline - That is a great result! Similar to Fred, I just got a 2,200 graft FUE and am very hopeful/excited for the results to start showing. I got mine done in Los Angeles with Dr. Rawnsley. Its been about 5 weeks since my procedure and most of the implanted grafts/hairs have fallen out now, which I was told would happen. I am thinking about getting going on minoxidil again and possibly finasteride as well. @nohairline - What mg of finasteride are you currently taking and how frequently? Thanks for sharing your story! It is very encouraging!

nohairline

Reaction score
growth in TWO MONTHS? Thats insane. Im just STARTING to see growth in patches at 4 months. Wish I was that well off. Congrats.
I know it grows in cycles but I have a few tiny bare patches that Im worried the follicles died.
Did your patches look like semi undesnse areas mixed with bare spots until it filled in?

thanks

Yeah it was the part right at the front of my hairline. It fell out pretty quickly and then started to grow before the rest did. mine fell out and grew in patches. I do exercise a lot , I'm not sure if that helped? maybe with blood flow? I started exercising again about 2 weeks after the operation as the Dr told me the follicles would be set in place after 10 days. I don't know if that makes any difference though?

Yes they weren't very dense but have been better lately. I have fine hair so I'm not expecting them to get much more dense. I also used a spray on aloe vera which i still use sometimes as it was better than rubbing the aloe vera on

- - - Updated - - -

Great results man! What is your age?

Thanks mate. Im 34

- - - Updated - - -

@nohairline - That is a great result! Similar to Fred, I just got a 2,200 graft FUE and am very hopeful/excited for the results to start showing. I got mine done in Los Angeles with Dr. Rawnsley. Its been about 5 weeks since my procedure and most of the implanted grafts/hairs have fallen out now, which I was told would happen. I am thinking about getting going on minoxidil again and possibly finasteride as well. @nohairline - What mg of finasteride are you currently taking and how frequently? Thanks for sharing your story! It is very encouraging!

No problems. like i said, forums like these really helped me make an informed decision. When i went for the procedure i knew there was no guarantee but I'm happy mine turned out the way it did.

I have 5mg pills which i take in 1/4's. I do this 4 times and then i have a day off and then start again.

Its funny looking back on my photos because i actually forgot that all my hairs fell out until i saw the pictures. I used a bit of dermatch to cover up my hairline which worked pretty well when my hairs were shedding. No one from work noticed although i had a forward combover before the operation so i think that helped with perception once my hair was growing back. No one had seen me with a shaved head so the dermatch helped cover the bald parts until my hair started to fill in