21 Years Old Thinking Of Going On Finasteride To Prevent Further Loss

Jake1996

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am 21 years old, and I actually don’t have much to say other than ask your advice.

I am in the position that hair loss affects me a lot. I may not suffer from serious hair loss yet, but I mean high temples run in my family. Not complete hairloss, but high temples. I would like to delay this as much as possible.

I think about hair loss all the time, because I guess that I am a narcissistic douche I guess. So I would like to be able to forget all about it and enjoy my life. You know not think about my hair disappearing slowly.

Do you have any advice for me?

I linked some pictures of me with wet hair below.

Thanks to all who read and respond

Attachments

• 39A148E3-5F6E-4B36-8C40-12D8516B4194.jpeg
    39A148E3-5F6E-4B36-8C40-12D8516B4194.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 196
  • E2E96388-A925-488E-ACD2-81498ACE8B9A.jpeg
    E2E96388-A925-488E-ACD2-81498ACE8B9A.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 204
  • D06A9C2D-817A-48EC-AE24-687C8B604096.jpeg
    D06A9C2D-817A-48EC-AE24-687C8B604096.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 200

Hopel3ss

My Regimen
Reaction score
From my very very short finasteride try I can give you the following point:

1. If it does work for you - you can live stress free without constantly thinking about your hair.

2. If it does not work for you and you get the sides (loss of libido, gyno, brain fog etc.) you can always stop and most likely you will be back to normal. After this shocking experience you probably will put things in the right scale and the hairloss is not so big a issue anymore. I guarantee that if you start to feel creepy sides and feelings you will start appreciate more all the things that actually make you a man :)

So this can be a win-win situation even. Of course there are these guys that have had a permanent effects but I understood that this is very rare.

By the way you hair looks very good at the moment! But you are the only one who can identify whether or not you are balding. Based on your pictures you dont have nothing to worry about. Maybe I would follow up (take pictures etc. ie. every 3 months and track your temples).

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Jake1996 I’m in similar shoes as you. I’m 24, and first noticed my hair loss 6 months ago. Although, I’m guessing it began 12-18 months ago, and I just failed to notice. I’m only just now starting finasteride, but wish I began right after I noticed my hair loss. Of course, I am happy that I informed myself much more, and know what I’m getting in to. Also, I’ve been having anxiety/depression about my hair loss, and I don’t think that makes either of us a narcissistic douche! I have to remind myself that my hair doesn’t define who I am. Anyway, let’s both hope we’re responders, and don’t get sides!

Jake1996

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys!

As you said @Hopel3ss I will never really know before I try it, but I for sure just know that I don’t want to regret not doing anything before it was too late. I will probably give it a shot and see what happens!

@IncognitoMan Are you also trying to be upfront? By that I mean prevent? I mean we might aswell try, nothing to loose. I heard you don’t loose more hair if you’re on finasteride and come off.
So I guess my goal would be keeping, as much hair as possible until I am 30 or so, then get a hair transplant to fill my temples. I know I will only get high temples as everyone in my family only has high temples, no loss in the crown area.

Mabye there is even a better solution in the next 10 years!

IncognitoMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I’m just trying to prevent any further loss, but any regrowth would be a bonus! There’s no balding in the crown in any family members of mine, either. Everyone just receded... unfortunately, I seemed to have inherited the worst of the genetics, since most of my uncles, father, and grandfathers didn’t begin to recede until mid thirties or later. Hopefully, in 6 months you’ll find a thread of mine in the success stories!

Jake1996

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I’m just trying to prevent any further loss, but any regrowth would be a bonus! There’s no balding in the crown in any family members of mine, either. Everyone just receded... unfortunately, I seemed to have inherited the worst of the genetics, since most of my uncles, father, and grandfathers didn’t begin to recede until mid thirties or later. Hopefully, in 6 months you’ll find a thread of mine in the success stories!
Can’t wait! I wish you the best of luck! Keep in touch

Chromedome1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems doubtful a doctor would prescribe Finasteride based on your level of hair loss.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if i was 21 again i would hop on finasteride even if i didn't know if i was going to lose it.
i stupidly waited until i was norwood 3.5 / norwood 4 and now the only thing that will give me my hair back is a hair transplant.

i didn;t think losing it would matter so much but when i hit ~Norwood 4 i was shocked by how different females treated me; from being smiley and flirty towards me they changed to acting like i was either invisible or in their way.