21 year old starting on finasteride

justanotherbaldman

Reaction score
I have been shedding for quite some time now (since 19). I had accepted my hair loss and I started shaving my head 1.5 years ago and i must say I am a fan of the bald look being that im blessed with a nicely shaped head and nice facial hair too.
Lately I started thinking that i never have any of the treatment a try so why not start. It doesnt matter of the results because i will most likely keep the bald look anyways but it would be nice to have options later down the road.

Currently using:
Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% once a day (night time)

It has been 5 days since I have started this routine lets see where it gets me. Failure is an option :). I have also attached a couple pics of the current situation.

IMG_3492.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg
I will keep the updates posted.

Last edited:

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
Well you are in a good situation to do finasteride then, if you are a fan of the "bald look" then, you won't experience the shedding that guys like me did.

Do keep updating! You do have some temple recession as well as crown thinning, let's hope that finasteride not only mantains what you have and grows some in those spots :)

Good luck

justanotherbaldman

Reaction score
Thank you. I am eager to see how my body reacts to the meds.

by the way, Im a little confused with the whole Norwood scale. Would you say I am a NW5 or on my way to be one?

justanotherbaldman

Reaction score
Those photos are recent so 21.

So I have been on it for a week now and no major side effects that really concerned me, but on the 4th day I had random pain in my testicle for a good half of the day but the next morning it went away and has not returned. My sex drive is still up there. My erection isnt as hard as it was pre-finasteride maybe at like 90% relative to 100% pre-finasteride. The ejaculation seem to be not as forceful but im okay with that too for now. All in all, nothing out of the ordinary.

Of course I have not noticed any regrowth or shedding because i keep my head shaved. I will grow my hair out a little bit in a month to see of any progress. Until then Cheerio! good luck to us all!

justanotherbaldman

Reaction score
Is there any way to avoid the grey minoxidil leaves on the scalp?

- - - Updated - - -

So it has been 1 month since I have been on finasteride and minoxidil. As i mentioned before, I experienced very minor sides in the first week, but they are pretty much non existent now. My libido might be still down a tiny bit but it hasn't negatively affected me in any way. I have been very consistent with my regime, so no missed doses as of yet.

As far as results go, I dont have concrete proof that my regime is working or not since I shave my head with a razor EOD. I do feel like i see maybe a little thicker hair, but that could also be my mind trying to see what I want to. I also cant tell if my hair are still falling out or not because of the shaved head. From what I have been reading on this forum 1 month is rare to see effects anyways so I'm patient with it.

I don't have any pictures for now but ill be letting my hair grow for the next couple days and then take a pics to post.

davepeters3345

Established Member
Reaction score
I also just passed the one month mark. Don't obsess over it, results after 1 month are almost impossible. Even months 2-3 results are very rare. Give it at least 6 months. I will only take pics every 3 months so that I don't obsess over it

Cheers and goodluck

justanotherbaldman

Reaction score
I dont think im obsessing over it. You are right btw and i walked into this fully keeping it in my mind so am pretty realistic towards my expectations from the treatment. Im just doing it for keeping track purposes. Plus, I realized my baseline photos are pretty ****ty with angles and lighting so this will kind of be the new baseline.

Goodluck to you too. I hope your regime is treating your hair follicles well :)

- - - Updated - - -

FullSizeRender (2).jpgFullSizeRender (3).jpg

As you can see no real noticeable improvements. Will give update in about 2-3 or so

Last edited:

justanotherbaldman

Reaction score
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
so its been 4 months with the same regimen 1mg finasteride ED and min twice a day now for the past month and a half. As you can tell there isnt a noticeable difference but i do feel thickening of the hair a little bit. As far as regrowth, i dont know if there is any because i still shave my head every two days or so. Nor can i tell if my hair is still shedding or not because of the shaved head haha. Im still hanging in there because i havent been experiencing concerning side effects from finasteride so might as well keep at it. Ill give another 3-4 months and then try to grow my hair out to really see if the treatment has been working or not.

Hopefully i have some quality substance to report to people on the forum in the next 3-4 months...until then, good luck to us all.

vineet

Reaction score
if you would have taken the pic exactly like what you did in the first post ,then it would be very easy to compare ,although i can see some thick hair .good luck

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems like you've already got a slick bald spot which might make the minoxidil ineffective in that area. Results peak at the one year mark though so you can definitely still hope for better results and maybe applying minoxidil twice a day now instead of once will push it further. Good luck! It's good to see you're not so obsessed and depressed about it like some other guys on here who have ceased living a while ago it seems; never let something you have no control over damage your self-confidence, respect brotha!