21 and Receding

jones89

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am 21 years old from Australia. I have been receding for a few years now and it has gotten to the point where I started growing my hair to cover the fact that I'm receding. Anyway I went into the barber to finally get a hair cut and he told me about this product called Activance which contains Rhodanide which is a natural molecule found in living cells. He says he uses it but I didn't really see much of a result. Like you could still see he was balding. But he said he was only using it for about 3 months. Basically I decided to go online and see what people are into.

I did some research into ashley and martin and advanced hair studio but it seems I would just be forking out a lot of money for them to hand me a lotion which I could get much cheaper online. I looked up LEIMO therapy, but I have heard its a scam and the laser does nothing really. Products with minoxidil (Rogaine) do work to some effect but some people have said it has caused them to loose hair, and that when you use minoxidil for years, your hair follicles become dependent on minoxidil and so if you stop using it you will loose more hair than what you started with. I don't want to start using finasteride (Propecia) either because of the huge number of side effects, and how it causes impotence etc, and I need my DHT for obvious reasons. And apparently minoxidil and finasteride are the only two approved treatments for hair loss by the FDA.

Anyone have any other more nautral effective treatments that have been shown to work? I will attach a picture of my receding hairline.

13072010312.th.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1138/13072010312.jpg

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
G'day :)
As far as i know (and i think many here will agree) there aren't any natural treatments that have been proven to be as effective as finasteride and minoxidil.

Don't give up on finasteride and minoxidil though, they may have their downsides but many guys here have had great success with those products. Not everyone experiences the side effects often associated with finasteride (even minoxidil) so it's best to give it a go for some time and see how you respond. I started off 1mg finasteride (february this year) and the only side effect i had was minor erection problems, they weren't that bad, however i ended up going with 0.5mg (which seems to work for a lot of guys too) and they've subsided for the most part.

I can't say anything about minoxidil since i haven't used it, but it does seem to be true, that once you start it, it's best to continue. But keep in mind minoxidil doesn't work for everyone either, but in most cases it does get you some great regrowth (just check out the success stories forum).

I'd suggest to start with finasteride/propecia (also, with whatever regimen you go with, make sure you include nizoral shampoo) perhaps start with 0.5mg and see how that goes for you. It won't guarantee regrowth but should keep what you have, but if you're after regrowth, which many are, you can also include minoxidil/rogaine.

Swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry man, finasteride and rogaine are probably your best bet agaisnt your hairloss. It seems your male pattern baldness is pretty agressive for only being 21.

If you dont get on finasteride, then you most likely will continue to lose hair.

There are really no "natural" effective treatments.

jones89

Reaction score
THanks for the replies.

I might consider minoxidil then.

I found 5% minoxidil for men 3 x 60ml bottles (3 months supply) for $33.75 AUS. Is that a good price?

Is it likely to initially make it worse?

Whats the point of nizoral shampoo? Why should I include it?

Thanks

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil doesn't actually do anything to combat the balding process. It might give you a little bit of growth, but using it by itself isn't going to do anything against hair-loss as brutal as yours. In all honesty, Propecia is probably your only choice.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
jones89 said:
THanks for the replies.

I found 5% minoxidil for men 3 x 60ml bottles (3 months supply) for $33.75 AUS. Is that a good price?

Thanks
See this link concerning nizoral (and other treatments).

But that price for minoxidil seems good by our standards, where did you find it? I've done some small research into minoxidil prices here in Australia and they've usually been more expensive than $33.

One key point you need to keep in mind is that the vast majority of users of minoxidil, sometime down the track (usually happens soon), they experience a sudden accelerated form of shedding, and in many cases this is a good sign as it means that your hair is 'making way' for new hair. The shedding period can go on for a few weeks, or even a few months, however many people get their burst of new hair after it has stopped. I'm not exactly sure how or why, or whether it only happesn to those who apply it all over..best to ask in the growth stimulants forum.

As the user said above me, it's best to start finasteride since the state your hair loss is in, it will only get 'worse'. You could just start the 'big 3', which is minoxidil, finasteride and nizoral shampoo. Many have had success with this combination, however you need to make sure you stick to it, which can be a hassle. However keep in mind that the 'big 3' does not guarantee anything, just that many have had success.

Also don't bother with ashley and martin, plus leimo, you see them all over the tv but do a bit of readong on these boards and you'll see they're crap.

jones89

Reaction score
Draco88 said:
jones89 said:
THanks for the replies.

Thanks
See this link concerning nizoral (and other treatments).

But that price for minoxidil seems good by our standards, where did you find it? I've done some small research into minoxidil prices here in Australia and they've usually been more expensive than $33.

One key point you need to keep in mind is that the vast majority of users of minoxidil, sometime down the track (usually happens soon), they experience a sudden accelerated form of shedding, and in many cases this is a good sign as it means that your hair is 'making way' for new hair. The shedding period can go on for a few weeks, or even a few months, however many people get their burst of new hair after it has stopped. I'm not exactly sure how or why, or whether it only happesn to those who apply it all over..best to ask in the growth stimulants forum.

As the user said above me, it's best to start finasteride since the state your hair loss is in, it will only get 'worse'. You could just start the 'big 3', which is minoxidil, finasteride and nizoral shampoo. Many have had success with this combination, however you need to make sure you stick to it, which can be a hassle. However keep in mind that the 'big 3' does not guarantee anything, just that many have had success.

Also don't bother with ashley and martin, plus leimo, you see them all over the tv but do a bit of readong on these boards and you'll see they're crap.

I saw the $33 here
http://www.biovea-australia.com/%28S%28 ... 1555&CID=0

Also apparently I will get the same hair as my mother's dad. And he had the same as what I've got now for the rest of his life. So maybe by that logic it won't get any worse?

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
^^Not necessarily. Usually, once you start losing it, it just keeps on going. My mother's dad had a full head of hair well into his 50's yet i'm a NW3 at 22. :thumbdown2: