21 and mild hair loss

Bob Dylan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for stopping by this thread to offer any advice. I'm 21 years old and have very mild hair loss. However, every male in my family who is a generation older than me has essentially no hair. I doubt any of them ever attempted to do anything about it, and most of them look decent bald or balding. Even though I'm not particularly self conscious, I'd still like to avoid going down the same path if at all possible.

I just started taking Finasteride a month ago. I take a generic version of the 5mg (at Walmart for $9/30 pills that I break up into quarters; essentially $30/year). And I started Nioxin shampoo and conditioner (not Scalp Therapy though) a couple weeks ago.

Here is my hair on May 11, the first day of Finasteride and about two weeks before starting Nioxin.
May11(Day1)4.jpgMay11(Day1)2.jpgMay11(Day1)1.jpg

And here is my hair on June 2.
June2(crown).jpgJune2(Profile).jpg

Programming note: I did receive a haircut between May 11 and June 2.
I know that you're not supposed to expect results prior to at least 3 months on finasteride and usually around 6 months. But the back has already seen what seems like substantial growth. The hairline is not any better yet, but I don't expect it to be. Is this unusually good progress at this point? Or am I crazy? Just figured I'd see what others might say.

Thanks!

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It sure looks like there has been regrowth in your crown area, the light is different in the pictures though. Also, your hair does look healthier in general. Continue with your regimen and who knows what the future might bring!

DeadLine

Reaction score
It would be biologically weird if this were true. It just seems like the lighting is very different in the crown pictures. It would take at least 3 months for those kind of results that you intended to imply.

In all seriousness you did take the right decision by hopping on finasteride if you want to keep your hair so good luck in your journey and keep us all posted.

SeekingHelp

Reaction score
those pictures of the crown look like youve gained some coverage... but the lighting is definitely different and lighting can be a huge difference.

Bob Dylan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very excellent point, friends. The lighting is different in the after picture. So here's a picture of today (June 4th) with lighting more similar to the original crown picture from May 11th.

June4.jpg

And just for quick reference, here's the original May 11th photo:

May11(Day1)4.jpg

Both of these photos were taken in the same room under the same lighting.

shookwun

Reaction score
i think it would look a lot better if you had it closer cropped on the sides, and back. tapered in