20yr old male pattern baldness sufferer! Which Norwood am I? Did my hair condition improve ?

Reaction score
20 yr. old's diffused thinning & confused regimen. Advice ! Anybody?

My first impression of hair loss was when I was only 17 when some of my friends could see less dense hair on my scalp & told I might be getting bald. I ignored it thinking it was just my hair's regular texture & not alopecia. My mom's father & one of father's elder brother had suffered from male pattern baldness, but since my father & mother didnt experience it, I thought I was safe. I had completely forgot about it until recently when I was 19 yrs ( August, 2011) & had heavy shedding, flaking & small bumps over my scalp etc. I went to a dermatologist & she wrongly diagonised it as seborrheic dermatitis & accordingly wrote medications for it (some of them were Livosiz tablets, multivitamin & KZ lotion). 2 months later, the tiny bumps over my scalp went away but hairfall did not stop. Everyday when I would comb my hair I would have 20-25 hairs shed my desk. I again went to her asking if I wasn't responding & may be that's when she realised I was suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia .
She then prescribed me :
Mintop Forte 5% soln.( generic version of Rogaine from Dr. Reddy's) ,
Finax (1 mg finasteride) tablets & KZ lotion (Ketoconazole 2%)
. Leaving the shampoo, I started using the other two for 1 month (December 2011), discontinued in the month of January & again used in February 2012 , during this two months in which I took these treatments, my scalp did not itch but hair felt greasy, odd & it still shed. I completely lost hope on her. i thought she wrongly diagnosed me again I discontinued all the medications for 1month (March) & waited for my semester exams to finish.Then decided to go to another dermatologist (a more reputed one this time) and he correctly diagnosed it as Androgenetic Alopecia (in one go) & wrote treatments for it. He prescribed me the following :
Amexidil 5 % spray (generic version of rogaine) from ranbaxy pharmacy
Finpecia (1 mg finasteride) from CIPLA
Scalpe lotion (generic version of Nizoral with ketoconazole 2 %)
Since Amexidil & Finpecia werent available in the shop from where I purchased Scalpe I decided to purchase Mintop Forte 5% & Finax( 1 mg finasteride) instead. I used them for 2 months ( April 2012 & May 2012) along with theshampoo which was very occasional, Though my hair fall reduced a bit but it did not stop & density did not improve. Everytime I combed my hair down straight I would still see some hairs on the desk. This drove me crazy. Now I had a wild idea of altering the medicine brands & switching to slightly pricier brands hoping the pricier..the better & it would yield me better results. Prior to starting treatment in April, I cut my hair really short to take my pics & see how my hair really looked like in bright light.

Below are the samples:

DSC01300.JPGDSC01301.JPGDSC01305.JPGDSC01309.JPG

In June I decided to switch to Tugain foam 5% (by Cipla ) from Mintop forte 5 % solution & Nizral 2 % shampoo instead of scalpe . I liked the foam very much, its ease of application, hairfall halted, no greasiness, no itching etc. While using these I found people complaining that the foam was being absorbed into their hair shafts & not penetrating into the scalp. May be this was the reason of my hairfall getting stopped. I was again terrified. I thought perhaps the soln. was doing its job & not this.

So again in July 2012 (after a month) I switched to Amexidil 5 spray (generic version of Rogaine minoxidil 5% solution from ranbaxy pharmacy). The only thing good about this was its price( was a lot cheaper than both the tugain foam & mintop forte 5 % that had to be applied with a dropper). Rest eveything was pure hell. Consequences of this brand of minoxidil:
1. Intensely itchy scalp
2. Heavy hairfall (20-30 daily both in the day and night)
3. Confusing method of application

During this period I was using Nizral 2 % 2 times every 1-2 weeks but in more volume.Annoyed of it's sides I was desperate to finish both of them fast. During this period I used to visit this forum a lot & found many members to be using finpecia instead of Finax & OTC Nizoral 1 % against prescription nizral 2%. Again I had a new ray of hope. I thought this would work for me as well . Desperate enough to start my new treatments I quickly finished my ongoing medications. It took a bit more than one month(till Aug 10, 2012) for that minoxidil spray to complete as I was not regular.

Prior to starting this treatment in August 2012, I took a photo of only my scalp to post here and find out from you guys if my condition actually improved or not.

After.jpg

Did my hair improve? Does it belong to any pattern in the Norwood scale?

I need opinion of u guys here. I personally think it improved a very little bit (if at all). Sorry I could not take any more pics as I felt ashamed to ask anybody to take them but if u guys ask... for more areas like hairline,temples,verterx, I will definitely manage & post them here.

My parents though supporting me financially for taking this treatment which they considered to be useless gave a biased answer everytime I asked them if my hair improved or not? Sometimes they told yes the vertex portion improved & sometimes no it's still visible.Sometimes I used to get severely upset over this & demotivated whether to continue my regimen or not.

And finally this august 2012..I switched to finpecia (since it was a favorite among members here) & my old personal favorite tugain foam 5% (both from Cipla) which I had used only once. I could not find nizoral 1 % as stock was empty and bought nizral 2 % instead.

After starting this treatment, I became very regular. I was applying the tugain foam 2 times (half a capful each time, keeping it 4 hrs & then washing it off) maintaining a gap of 12 hrs in between application every day, shampooing 2 times a week (rinsing once & leaving it for 5 mins each time), took 1 mg of finpecia every morning in empty stomach as I had read somewhere that since testosterone levels were higher in the morning it wont be allowed to get converted into DHT. All these correct forms of application, I had only learnt in the past month from here & applied them in my regimen this month. Everything was fine until recently when I started itching heavily in the back of my scalp near the temples. I was annoyed as this region never itched before & shed 5-10 hairs daily . Now I thought propylene gycol in Tugain Foam 5 % might be the culprit.

My future plans (which is definitely my final choice of medicines), that I will continue ever after from next month i.e Sept 2012

1. Mintop forte 5% foam (generic version of Minxidil 5 % rogaine from India's biggest pharmacy dr. reddy's)- as it's clearly stated in the cover propylene glycol free.

2. Finpecia 1 mg (from Cipla - 3rd largest Indian pharmacy)- as its very popular in this forum.

3. Nizoral 1 %- as its cheap, popular & can be used more frequently.

So basically what I have learnt about myself is that I am a diffuse thinner who has lost hair mostly from his vertex( crown region), anterior midscalp area, a little bit in the left temples & in the frontals which you might have also judged from my pics. I am still doubtful if my hairline has not receeded or not. I had my hair cut really short this month to take a scalp photo. When it grows a little bit, I will be pulling it back & taking a lot more photos from every possible , so as to have a brief analysis on it.

All I need from you is advice, tips, opinions, motivation & luck to continue my regimen. I have started treatments at the earliest possible time since such treatments aren't allowed before 18. I strongly wish my condition reverses. Thanking you in advance for taking time to read my story...

Last edited:

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sorry you are going through this. I am experiencing something similar. I have battled mild acne unsuccessfully until age 20 where it became odd nodules or cystic. I tried organic and natural cleanses but they did no good. I tried topicals and they did probably more harm then anything. I tried accutane which rid me of acne but its effects were on my hair.

I had a beautiful head of hair. Its not bald but patchy or thin in areas. On my side and at the back as in, I can see my scalp.

I am seeing a natural path. Hair is nice but there is a bigger issue, that being my health, and I desire to cleanse my body of its effects. I am doing a colon and liver detoxification. I hope the effects pass else I'll line up my hair, fade the back and sides. I look better with hair but I won't ever hold onto it like George.

Costanza. 1medicine takes our hairm we try another and it takes our erections? Libido? When does it stop? Its your call. I want to center my body. Hopefully, I can fix this or I'll move on. Good luck.

hair_fighter

Reaction score
hey ur hair condition definitely improved.......im also from india.......wat r the prices of Mintop forte(solution/foam), tugain(foam/liquid), Amxedil spaay........im also considering Minoxidil to add to my regime....im also a diffuse thinner with some frontal baldness.......it will be very helpful if u post the prices of these.....thanx

Reaction score
thank u for answering that. it really motivated me. tugain foam 5 % costs. 550 INR. mintop forte 5% foam costs 530 INR. MINTOP 10 foam costs 650 INR. the 5% solution versions of mintop,tugain and amexidil are priced between 400 to 480/- with ranbaxy products being the cheapest and cipla being the priciest. u should definitely add the foam version to your regimen and be regular in applying it. hope it helps !

hair_fighter

Reaction score
hey thanx for the info, im in a confusion whether to add Brand Rogaine foam or tugain foam its a hassle to apply liquid by the way what do u think is best......Tugain liquid/Mintop liquid, Tugain foam/mintop foam thanks.........hope we will fight this battle to our level best....

Reaction score
FYI..branded rogaine foam is not available in local markets in India and is 3 times the price of generic versions available here. i suggest u go for any of the foam versions available here. if u have solution in mind...then go for tugain as it includes a large dropper unlike mintop forte allowing u to measure & determine ur usage better.

masonryan

Reaction score
You have to use finasteride for a full year to see if it is working or giving good results

Reaction score
ya...i know that. it's a lifelong commitment and i am not going to take chances with that even if i don't see major improvements.i may discontinue minoxidil but not finasteride

hair_fighter

Reaction score
what i assume from the pics u don't have any frontal baldness, what u r having really is diffuse thinning for which finasteride works very well in your case. so howz ur experience with finasteride.........does it increase shedding initially like in the 2-3 month period because i experienced a major shed in my case during this period however later shedding stopped, but the density never increased with finasteride........so wat i really want is a slight increase in density with minoxidil and maintainance with finasteride which i think im already maintaining with finasteride but my ultimate aim is to add slight regrowth to the existing hair that's where i want to add minoxidil to my regime but im worried about the minoxidil sheds which are more severe than finasteride sheds...........so what do u say about adding minoxidil...........does it really help to regrow (however small it may be).........whats ur opinion abt this........how does minoxidil helping in your case.......any sheds or side effects...plz share ur experiences.......thanx

Reaction score
Thank You ! so much for sharing your views on my condition ! It brought me a huge confidence boost :)

Now Coming to your queries, I just read your full story about 1 year on Nizoral & finasteride. As far as I know, finasteride does not cause shedding. Even if it caused it would be really mild & temporary. What hair u have lost is probably that loose & weak hair which u would have lost anyways may be later even if u did not begin your treatment on the big 2. Finasteride mostly helps u to maintain your present hair & stop further loss by inhibiting DHT. Only a few cases reported to have hair regrowth and they were those who might have seen a major improvement which is rare. I strongly urge u to add minoxidil foam if u want hair regrowth & Nizral 2% if u want to improve over your current hair density. Minoxidl will definitely cause a considerable shedding but it will definitely help u to regrow dormant hair from dormant follicles. Be patient during that ! Give it 4-6 months time before coming to conclusions

Within a period of 6 months, my vertex density has improved with may be finasteride & those new hairs that u see popping up in the mid scalp are probably due to minoxidil since finasteride is not reported to improve that & it takes at least 1 year to show that type of improvement.

If u r unsatisified with finasteride 1mg, opt for fincar & split the pill into 4 (1.25mg each) or may be consult with ur doctor for dutasteride.

hair_fighter

Reaction score
thanx for tons of inputs man.......yes i understand finasteride is just for maintenance.....im going to add Minoxidil foam to my regimen in a day or two, hope i will get some regrowth and keep on continuing ur treatments. wat u r following is the most recommended route to halt hairloss completely and u r doing ur best at it...keep goin on dude, hope some permanent cure will be in the near future....and FYI finasteride completely stops hairloss by 6 month and at 1 yr u will see the best of ur hair(from my experience)......:)

Reaction score
u r most welcome ! i know finasteride reduces 60% DHT levels primarily those that are involved in hair loss. 1 more tip- make sure u keep the foam for 4 hours on your scalp before washing it and maintain a gap of at least 9-12 hrs between application.also update ur story with pics from every angle of your scalp every 2 months so that we can have a better judgment. i am pretty confident we can help each other out by sharing our views, knowledge and experience. wish u luck!

rijul

Reaction score
My first impression of hair loss was when I was only 17 when some of my friends could see less dense hair on my scalp & told I might be getting bald. I ignored it thinking it was just my hair's regular texture & not alopecia. My mom's father & one of father's elder brother had suffered from male pattern baldness, but since my father & mother didnt experience it, I thought I was safe. I had completely forgot about it until recently when I was 19 yrs ( August, 2011) & had heavy shedding, flaking & small bumps over my scalp etc. I went to a dermatologist & she wrongly diagonised it as seborrheic dermatitis & accordingly wrote medications for it (some of them were Livosiz tablets, multivitamin & KZ lotion). 2 months later, the tiny bumps over my scalp went away but hairfall did not stop. Everyday when I would comb my hair I would have 20-25 hairs shed my desk. I again went to her asking if I wasn't responding & may be that's when she realised I was suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia .
She then prescribed me :
Mintop Forte 5% soln.( generic version of Rogaine from Dr. Reddy's) ,
Finax (1 mg finasteride) tablets & KZ lotion (Ketoconazole 2%)
. Leaving the shampoo, I started using the other two for 1 month (December 2011), discontinued in the month of January & again used in February 2012 , during this two months in which I took these treatments, my scalp did not itch but hair felt greasy, odd & it still shed. I completely lost hope on her. i thought she wrongly diagnosed me again I discontinued all the medications for 1month (March) & waited for my semester exams to finish.Then decided to go to another dermatologist (a more reputed one this time) and he correctly diagnosed it as Androgenetic Alopecia (in one go) & wrote treatments for it. He prescribed me the following :
Amexidil 5 % spray (generic version of rogaine) from ranbaxy pharmacy
Finpecia (1 mg finasteride) from CIPLA
Scalpe lotion (generic version of Nizoral with ketoconazole 2 %)
Since Amexidil & Finpecia werent available in the shop from where I purchased Scalpe I decided to purchase Mintop Forte 5% & Finax( 1 mg finasteride) instead. I used them for 2 months ( April 2012 & May 2012) along with theshampoo which was very occasional, Though my hair fall reduced a bit but it did not stop & density did not improve. Everytime I combed my hair down straight I would still see some hairs on the desk. This drove me crazy. Now I had a wild idea of altering the medicine brands & switching to slightly pricier brands hoping the pricier..the better & it would yield me better results. Prior to starting treatment in April, I cut my hair really short to take my pics & see how my hair really looked like in bright light.

Below are the samples:

View attachment 18125View attachment 18126View attachment 18128View attachment 18130

In June I decided to switch to Tugain foam 5% (by Cipla ) from Mintop forte 5 % solution & Nizral 2 % shampoo instead of scalpe . I liked the foam very much, its ease of application, hairfall halted, no greasiness, no itching etc. While using these I found people complaining that the foam was being absorbed into their hair shafts & not penetrating into the scalp. May be this was the reason of my hairfall getting stopped. I was again terrified. I thought perhaps the soln. was doing its job & not this.

So again in July 2012 (after a month) I switched to Amexidil 5 spray (generic version of Rogaine minoxidil 5% solution from ranbaxy pharmacy). The only thing good about this was its price( was a lot cheaper than both the tugain foam & mintop forte 5 % that had to be applied with a dropper). Rest eveything was pure hell. Consequences of this brand of minoxidil:
1. Intensely itchy scalp
2. Heavy hairfall (20-30 daily both in the day and night)
3. Confusing method of application

During this period I was using Nizral 2 % 2 times every 1-2 weeks but in more volume.Annoyed of it's sides I was desperate to finish both of them fast. During this period I used to visit this forum a lot & found many members to be using finpecia instead of Finax & OTC Nizoral 1 % against prescription nizral 2%. Again I had a new ray of hope. I thought this would work for me as well . Desperate enough to start my new treatments I quickly finished my ongoing medications. It took a bit more than one month(till Aug 10, 2012) for that minoxidil spray to complete as I was not regular.

Prior to starting this treatment in August 2012, I took a photo of only my scalp to post here and find out from you guys if my condition actually improved or not.

View attachment 18131

Did my hair improve? Does it belong to any pattern in the Norwood scale?

I need opinion of u guys here. I personally think it improved a very little bit (if at all). Sorry I could not take any more pics as I felt ashamed to ask anybody to take them but if u guys ask... for more areas like hairline,temples,verterx, I will definitely manage & post them here.

My parents though supporting me financially for taking this treatment which they considered to be useless gave a biased answer everytime I asked them if my hair improved or not? Sometimes they told yes the vertex portion improved & sometimes no it's still visible.Sometimes I used to get severely upset over this & demotivated whether to continue my regimen or not.

And finally this august 2012..I switched to finpecia (since it was a favorite among members here) & my old personal favorite tugain foam 5% (both from Cipla) which I had used only once. I could not find nizoral 1 % as stock was empty and bought nizral 2 % instead.

After starting this treatment, I became very regular. I was applying the tugain foam 2 times (half a capful each time, keeping it 4 hrs & then washing it off) maintaining a gap of 12 hrs in between application every day, shampooing 2 times a week (rinsing once & leaving it for 5 mins each time), took 1 mg of finpecia every morning in empty stomach as I had read somewhere that since testosterone levels were higher in the morning it wont be allowed to get converted into DHT. All these correct forms of application, I had only learnt in the past month from here & applied them in my regimen this month. Everything was fine until recently when I started itching heavily in the back of my scalp near the temples. I was annoyed as this region never itched before & shed 5-10 hairs daily . Now I thought propylene gycol in Tugain Foam 5 % might be the culprit.

My future plans (which is definitely my final choice of medicines), that I will continue ever after from next month i.e Sept 2012

1. Mintop forte 5% foam (generic version of Minxidil 5 % rogaine from India's biggest pharmacy dr. reddy's)- as it's clearly stated in the cover propylene glycol free.

2. Finpecia 1 mg (from Cipla - 3rd largest Indian pharmacy)- as its very popular in this forum.

3. Nizoral 1 %- as its cheap, popular & can be used more frequently.

So basically what I have learnt about myself is that I am a diffuse thinner who has lost hair mostly from his vertex( crown region), anterior midscalp area, a little bit in the left temples & in the frontals which you might have also judged from my pics. I am still doubtful if my hairline has not receeded or not. I had my hair cut really short this month to take a scalp photo. When it grows a little bit, I will be pulling it back & taking a lot more photos from every possible , so as to have a brief analysis on it.

All I need from you is advice, tips, opinions, motivation & luck to continue my regimen. I have started treatments at the earliest possible time since such treatments aren't allowed before 18. I strongly wish my condition reverses. Thanking you in advance for taking time to read my story...

well.....it has been long time know yo have been on your regime ...so what is your condition now?? Has it improved?

sameerveda

Reaction score
dude i know its a stupid question...but can u tell me what was the dermatologist consulltation fee..

Molex

Reaction score
Can you give us an update?

At 25, I have the exact same diffuse pattern loss as you do. I lost a great deal of density and over the last 3 years and hoping the big three can bring some of my hair back. I started Propecia, minidoxil & nizoral shampoo Nov. 1st 2012. Four months into it, and I know that i should assess at the 6 month mark, the results have been somewhat disappointing.