2015 Study: Sebaceous Gland Overgrow Found In Androgenetic Alopecia

furtbr

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26147300

METHODS:
Two hundred and fifty cases of glass slide specimen from Japanese patients with male pattern hair loss were reviewed. (...)

RESULTS:
The sebaceous gland area of the Androgenetic Alopecia group was noticeably increased, while the size of each sebaceous gland remains unchanged. It has more lobules in the hair follicular unit in the Androgenetic Alopecia population. In the immunohistochemistry, the follicular stem cells are present in the bulge regions in cases of Androgenetic Alopecia.

CONCLUSIONS:
The overgrowth (multilobulation) of the sebaceous gland and relative preservation of the follicular stem cells suggest that the changes in the sebaceous gland could be an important factor in the pathology of Androgenetic Alopecia.

*overgrowth

furtbr

My Regimen
Reaction score
It means that if we find a way to shrink the sebaceous gland on the scalp, maybe we can revert hairloss.
Bad news is that we don't know how to do it. There are worse conditions "caused" by it.

Edit: I read the study again and maybe the difference is in the number of sebaceous gland found in Androgenetic Alopecia and not the individual size of each gland.

Last edited:

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermatologists already know several angles of attack they could use to treat hair loss especially with the discovery of CXXC5. But it doesn't matter because none of them give a sh*t. Other than our boy Choi, truth is we are mutant outliers too niche for profitability compared to other medical ventures

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It means that if we find a way to shrink the sebaceous gland on the scalp, maybe we can revert hairloss.
Bad news is that we don't know how to do it. There are worse conditions "caused" by it.

Edit: I read the study again and maybe the difference is in the number of sebaceous gland found in Androgenetic Alopecia and not the individual size of each gland.
i can tell u a clue.

if u can find a way to stop your lungs from secreting mucus, u stop secreting sebum, because they work by the same mechanism.