20 yrs old... receding hairline... need help/ advice

melo10

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am 20 and used propecia for 9 months. I discontinued the pill after noticing severe side effects from the pill. I talked to the dermatologist after advice from guys on this site and was advised to discontinue. The side effects were not worth taking the pill for. I would say im probably a NW2 im receeding at the temples and front hair line. The hair at the temples and widows peak is very thin and short in length. I notice small amount of shedding in the shower and when im just sitting around. I am hoping you guys can tell me about shampoos that may be able to help me out. I am hoping diet, excercise and a shampoo might be able to help me out in my situation.. maybe stop hair loss and bring back some of the hair i lost at the front. It is getting noticeable now. I heard of shampoos like nizoral, nioxin and nisim. I am thinking maybe nizoral but the Doctor has advised I should not take it with minoxidil just yet because of my reaction to propecia. Please help me out... what do you think is a good shampoo to use alone without severe side effects? and what can i expect?

Thank you kindly.

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil and Propecia are working on your hair through totally unrelated methods. The appearance of sides with one of them doesn't tell you anything about the likelyhood of sides with the other one.

Nizoral is hard to go wrong with. The propecia sides won't be there because it's only going on topically. And it's not a systemic risk as far as I've ever heard. But it's usually too harsh for everyday usage (in terms of both its effects on your body system and the cosmetic condition of your hair). Shampooing with it every other day in the 1% OTC form works tolerably for the majority of those who try it.

The hair protection with nizoral isn't very significant (comrpared to Finasteride) though. It's strong stuff compared to a lot of the other male pattern baldness potions out there but your body can't take the other aspects of it in big doses. If you hit it hard/often enough to REALLY help your hair, then your body will have problems with the effects of its antifungal properties.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
diet, exercises and other methods will not help you maintain your hair.

I tried everything prior to big 3, non of them worked.

melo10

Reaction score
Thanks, so what are the problems that can occur with the anti fungal properties? i will most likely take it at the recommended dosage on the bottle... but that wont help much? would nioxin work better than nizoral? and what is the big 3? what else did you try prior to using the big 3? is there any chance without finasteride or rogaine i can keep the hair i have and help it grow?

eddy_simpson

Established Member
Reaction score
raging demon youve just completely destroyed your credibility with that post. do you seriously think that diet and exercise have no influence whatsoever on a person's hair?

melo there is a good chance you can keep your hair if you learn the mechanisms involved in male pattern baldness and tackle them individually. just get researching and whichever treatments you choose upon, give them a few months!

melo10

Reaction score
Hey Guys, one more thing.... do you think the nioxin will make the already miniaturized hairs on my temples fall out?? i am extra cautious... and what do you guys think about stress and hair loss ?? doesnt everyone stress about losing their hair?? so you stress about losing ur hair but then u just lose ur hair for stressing.... im so confused and worried

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
eddy_simpson said:
raging demon youve just completely destroyed your credibility with that post. do you seriously think that diet and exercise have no influence whatsoever on a person's hair?

how has he destroyed his credibility??? Do yourself a favor and think about that for a minute. Let's say for a second that diet and exercise have influence on a person's hair. It wouldn't be near significant enough to recommend as a treatment for male pattern baldness. Bottom line, everyone should exercise and eat properly, but to say it's going to help hairloss is just raising false hopes. Somone call Oscar Mayer because I think Mr. Simpson is dishing out a lot of baloney.

peterpaul_02

Reaction score
I try multiple shampoos and use them in rotation. Preferably sulfate free shampoo which nizoral 2% is. If you cannot take that shampoo maybe try t-gel. You need something to help reduce flakes and keep your scalp healthy. My rotation of shampoo is nizoral, triconimin, and fat shampoo. I think all three work pretty well and keep the life in my hair. Also I tried the $99 laser at lasermax.com, it has only been a week but i am impressed with it. It makes my hair feel quite soft, I think gives a little density to it, and I believe gives life to it. I would suggest maybe checking that out though I have only used it a week, so obviously I dont have that much experience with it. But I was happy to find a laser for 99 bucks that I think is pretty effective.