20 years old and nervous to start Propecia

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
chichi3001 said:
Thanks for all of your replies. It is really helpful :)

You're going to have to bite the bullet and jump on the propecia bandwagon. You'll never know if you fall into the dreaded 2% until you start taking the stuff.

Like an earlier poster said - some people experience the negative side effects initially - but then they go away for a lot of users.

You won't know until you try. Good luck.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a thought: If it does have a libido related side effect surely you could just take some form of v**** to combat the problem?

Or is that simply pumping too many pills into your body at one time?

I'm in the exact same boat except I'm now desperate to start the stuff. My derm is being a twat though and keeps hesitating and it's taken us 3 months or persisting to get him to reccomend us to another one (he's very reluctant to prescribe propecia even though most hair experts in London do so). Maybe I'll have to use that Xandrox 15% minoxidil to make up for the months lost...

G

"As long as the side effects (if any) will go away after continued treatment or after stopping treatment completely, then I have no problem. After all, my sex life is more important to me than thinning hair."

For some people, the side effects haven't gone away. I stopped taking dutasteride 5 months later and I'm still waiting for the sides to go. Do a search on this forum for "impotence" "erections" and you will see.

IF YOUR SEX LIFE IS IMPORTANT TO YOU IN THE SLIGHTEST, DON'T BEGIN PROPECIA.

I know hair loss is bad, but it's NOTHING to ongoing sexual problems, trust me. I thought "hey, the risks of anything happening to me are so small, I'm sure I'll be ok". I'm still waiting to see if that's the case...

I was in the same position as you and I choose to start Propecia: it was the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. Please don't make it as well.

G

In case my last email was confusing - I started Propecia about 2 years ago - did it for a year and a half then switched to dutasteride. But people have had the same sides and worse on Propecia. Chichi- lease search this site and others to see what can happen. And do a google search on DHT - it really isn't something you can just cut out of your body. It's needed for libido, erections, proper brain functioning, etc.

hairfin

Established Member
Reaction score
im 20 and my hair has been falling after washing my hair for a yr or two, its only recerntly i thought sh*t i need to do something

ive been on 0.88 finasteride (1/6 proscar) every other day for about 2.5 months, still not seen much progress but waiting at least 6 months to see what happens. because im taking it every other day i haventr noticed any side effects

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
hairfin said:
...ive been on 0.88 finasteride (1/6 proscar) every other day for about 2.5 months, still not seen much progress but waiting at least 6 months to see what happens. because im taking it every other day i haventr noticed any side effects

You should be prepared to give it more than 6 months. First time I was on proscar I was doing 1 mg daily - and didn't notice any real improvements until the 8 month mark.

I'm currently starting over, just beginning month 6 of doing 1mg - 1.25 mg EOD - and alhtough I'm optimistic I can't claim any regrowth yet.

People say to be prepared to give it 1 year.

TL1000R

Reaction score
I am 21 almost 22 and been on propecia for a week and have already noticed less hair loss on my pillow, in the shower and in my hat!!! i'm stoked, just hope it gets better!! dont worry bro your not the only young blood here...i started losing at like 18 or 19 cant reall pinpoint when i first noticed it was actually balding cause i always had a fucked up callick on my crown but now the hair is thin and less pigmented!! Good luck

cool_flame18

Reaction score
As long as the side effects (if any) will go away after continued treatment or after stopping treatment completely, then I have no problem. After all, my sex life is more important to me than thinning hair.

How is your use of Propecia going mate? I'm in exactly the same situation as you were at the time of your post. My doctor has perscribed the drug but I've visited sites like propeciahelp.com and now am very reluctant to start on it. I'm trying to do as mush "research" as possible but the internet is littered with people claiming Propecia has "ruined their lives"

Baylad

Reaction score
Try it for a short time then evaluate the effects - at your age you should have some fast results or not

abcdefg

Reaction score
Propecia doesnt eliminate DHT from your body though it just lowers it. There is actually a good amount left.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Propecia doesnt eliminate DHT from your body though it just lowers it. There is actually a good amount left.

It takes away most of it...otherwise it wouldn't work. And in addition to increasing estrogen it lowers free (usable) testosterone which again, people never mention.