20 Years Old 2 Years On finasteride - Possible Sides?

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I’m 20 and been on finasteride for 2 years. During this time I’ve never thought I had side affects until now I am starting to doubt myself. I almost never get spontaneous erections or morning wood ( if I do get morning wood it’s only half hard). Over the time I’ve been on finasteride I’d say I’ve averaged masturbating about once per day and generally felt fine. Recently In the past 2 months I’ve become very stressed about my erections due to the idea of dating someone new and now I have trouble staying or getting hard even when masturbating. I’m sure a large part of this is psychological but the loss of morning wood kinda has me worried. Another thing to keep in mind though is that I never tracked my erection quality / morning wood pre finasteride. It is possible I’ve always been this way. Although I do Remeber having spontaneous erections more in my teen years , now that is extremely rare and it has me feeling like an old man.

Not really sure if it’s real sides, psychological or a combination. finasteride has maintained my hair and I really don’t want to get off it, yet at the same time I’m curious to see if my sex drive would increase. I’m even considering trying to get some ed meds for just in case ( bad idea I know) but I don’t think I could handle being bald because I have a baby face and pale / skinny

JohnS6512

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man. I was in a similar situation myself. I took finasteride for 2.5 years, began experiencing sides about 2 years in. It took me almost six months to attribute it to finasteride and by that time I could barely get an erection. I decided to take a break and see if it would make a difference and within two weeks everything was drastically different. Morning wood, strong and spontaneous erections, etc. I’m not gonna tell you how my story ends but my advice to you is to take a month drug holiday and relax and see if anything changes. Update this thread in a month and we will go from there.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 20 and been on finasteride for 2 years. During this time I’ve never thought I had side affects until now I am starting to doubt myself. I almost never get spontaneous erections or morning wood ( if I do get morning wood it’s only half hard). Over the time I’ve been on finasteride I’d say I’ve averaged masturbating about once per day and generally felt fine. Recently In the past 2 months I’ve become very stressed about my erections due to the idea of dating someone new and now I have trouble staying or getting hard even when masturbating. I’m sure a large part of this is psychological but the loss of morning wood kinda has me worried. Another thing to keep in mind though is that I never tracked my erection quality / morning wood pre finasteride. It is possible I’ve always been this way. Although I do Remeber having spontaneous erections more in my teen years , now that is extremely rare and it has me feeling like an old man.

Not really sure if it’s real sides, psychological or a combination. finasteride has maintained my hair and I really don’t want to get off it, yet at the same time I’m curious to see if my sex drive would increase. I’m even considering trying to get some ed meds for just in case ( bad idea I know) but I don’t think I could handle being bald because I have a baby face and pale / skinny

You mentioned: "2 years. During this time I’ve never thought I had side affects until now I am starting to doubt myself."
Where did this doubt come from?

There were a small percentage of people who experienced side effects in the clinical trials by Merek and other companies. I don't dismiss these findings at all. Did you know that some people in these studies who were taking the placebo mentioned that they were experiencing side effects? Psychological, right? There are going to be people who will have sides. These side effects go away after they stopped taking finasteride, according to the studies. I've been taking propecia/generic proscar for 11 years now without any issues. I do start to have doubts myself after reading posts here and elsewhere. But, because I know they are no true in my case I fight my mind to not internalize them.

I am a very private person but I want to answer some of your other concerns using my own experiences so I'll do my best. Moderate exercise and a healthy diet aids me physiologically and psychologically. They both help me manage stress, keep my energy levels high, keep my BMI in normal range, improve blood flow, etc. They also aid me in a wide variety of areas in my life.

Exercise and diet are highly beneficial whether you continue taking finasteride or not.

I deleted a bit from my reply for personal reasons but I hope its comprehensible.

Last edited:

Baldingat188

Reaction score
You mentioned: "2 years. During this time I’ve never thought I had side affects until now I am starting to doubt myself."
Where did this doubt come from?

There were a small percentage of people who experienced side effects in the clinical trials by Merek and other companies. I don't dismiss these findings at all. Did you know that some people in these studies who were taking the placebo mentioned that they were experiencing side effects? Psychological, right? There are going to be people who will have sides. These side effects go away after they stopped taking finasteride, according to the studies. I've been taking propecia/generic proscar for 11 years now without any issues. I do start to have doubts myself after reading posts here and elsewhere. But, because I know they are no true in my case I fight my mind to not internalize them.

I am a very private person but I want to answer some of your other concerns using my own experiences so I'll do my best. Moderate exercise and a healthy diet aids me physiologically and psychologically. They both help me manage stress, keep my energy levels high, keep my BMI in normal range, improve blood flow, etc. They also aid me in a wide variety of areas in my life.

Exercise and diet are highly beneficial whether you continue taking finasteride or not.

I deleted a bit from my reply for personal reasons but I hope its comprehensible.

The doubt came from my anxiety originally . I was nervous and obsessing about how well I would be able to please a sexual partner. But then as I obsessed about it for enough time , I began thinking maybe part of it is due to propecia. I say this due to not getting morning or spontaneous erections and having a low sex drive . Some of it may just be in my head though.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Hey man. I was in a similar situation myself. I took finasteride for 2.5 years, began experiencing sides about 2 years in. It took me almost six months to attribute it to finasteride and by that time I could barely get an erection. I decided to take a break and see if it would make a difference and within two weeks everything was drastically different. Morning wood, strong and spontaneous erections, etc. I’m not gonna tell you how my story ends but my advice to you is to take a month drug holiday and relax and see if anything changes. Update this thread in a month and we will go from there.

This is encouraging to hear and kind of what I suspected. I guess I just have to decide if I want better erections or more hair... such a shitty choice. Either way I’m feeling like an old man at 20. I may try taking a break for a month but I’m afraid to lose hair... I don’t even know the right choice .

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

There's an easy way to check if u have nocturnal erections. Check this post: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...e-to-psychological-or-physical-issues.118805/

Safalya

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wake up with nocturnal erections but they are only half hard or very weak, so you think that’s a cause for concern?
I have exactly the same issues, but ive just started out on 0.25 mg, so hoping it will get fine with time, so even stimulation doesn't make you hard? Also, whats your dose, try a lower dose, or maybe try the meds EOD. Try these, and then if it still doesn't inprove, get off for a month, and then try again , if it still persisits, then maybe quit.
I know i am kinda amateur in answering to this, but this is what feel reading all the threads.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I have exactly the same issues, but ive just started out on 0.25 mg, so hoping it will get fine with time, so even stimulation doesn't make you hard? Also, whats your dose, try a lower dose, or maybe try the meds EOD. Try these, and then if it still doesn't inprove, get off for a month, and then try again , if it still persisits, then maybe quit.
I know i am kinda amateur in answering to this, but this is what feel reading all the threads.

My dose is 1 mg. Stimulation does make me hard but I feel as if my erections still aren’t very strong. I can get like 80% hard to masturbate but that’s it. It also doesn’t last long . My anxiety is probably playing a big role in this part though cause over the past year before I started worrying about it I never noticed problems. I am kinda worried about the weak nighttime erections and no spontaneous erections because those are more likely actual sides and not just anxiety .

Safalya

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dose is 1 mg. Stimulation does make me hard but I feel as if my erections still aren’t very strong. I can get like 80% hard to masturbate but that’s it. It also doesn’t last long . My anxiety is probably playing a big role in this part though cause over the past year before I started worrying about it I never noticed problems. I am kinda worried about the weak nighttime erections and no spontaneous erections because those are more likely actual sides and not just anxiety .
Maybe all in your head. Or maybe try lowering the dose. To me it seems all in your head. But see if the lesser dose helps you. Also did you notice the same sides when you started out?

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Maybe all in your head. Or maybe try lowering the dose. To me it seems all in your head. But see if the lesser dose helps you. Also did you notice the same sides when you started out?

Originally I had some placebo sides , then I stopped worrying about it and generally didn’t have sides ( although I wasn’t paying attention) so I probly did have some of the same minor sides. I definitely don’t get random erections anymore though , I forgot how much I got them pre finasteride but I feel like it used to be at least a few times a day. finasteride probly doesn’t cause Ed for most people, but I wouldn’t doubt that it reduces libido at least.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, lets face one fact. Masturbating while thinking about finasteride side effects will not make you more horny at the same moment. So... Yeah.

In my experience, when i was single i was actually thinking about this possibility but since i started to have sex with my girlfriend i cant say word. My erections are mostly rock solid, and starting from there my dick size even grown up a little bit. There is no need to post how many inches i actually have but my girlfriend is super happy tho. We have mostly really good sex. I hope this will help someone.

And yeah, im on finasteride 2 years on and off.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Well, lets face one fact. Masturbating while thinking about finasteride side effects will not make you more horny at the same moment. So... Yeah.

In my experience, when i was single i was actually thinking about this possibility but since i started to have sex with my girlfriend i cant say word. My erections are mostly rock solid, and starting from there my dick size even grown up a little bit. There is no need to post how many inches i actually have but my girlfriend is super happy tho. We have mostly really good sex. I hope this will help someone.

And yeah, im on finasteride 2 years on and off.

Weird question but what do you consider a rock solid erection? I’m pretty sure my erections are feeling softer due to anxiety. I never payed attention to the hardness before but I swear they are softer now ( kinda bendable even while hard). I’m just not sure how to get good quality ones back.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It means, that they are good and strong ;)