20 years later, I am back on this site, losing hair again, advice to the young kids going bald

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day gentlemen,

I started to recede when I was 19 years old. Tried a lot of snake oils, laser helmets, viviscal crap tablets, biotin vitamins and eating a healthy diet. None of it worked. I gave in and started using Propecia 0.5mg everyday for about five years, made my semen watery, my right night ached from time to time, never experienced brain fog or low mood like some have noted.

My libido was low at times but could still achieve an erection and enjoy sex. I was not on Minoxidil, made my hair look greasy.

I can happily say I have kept most of my hair and I am in my mid 40’s now. Did taking Propecia for five years help me keep most of my hair?! Who knows! All I know my dad & brother (47) are completely bald and I only have mild temple recession.

Once I stopped Propecia, all of the sides completely disappeared and was more sexually active than ever before. I hear stories from people who say their penis stopped working for years. I doubt that. I had some days where my erection wasnt rock hard but that’s because the women weren’t very attractive.

Now for the bad news- I have noticed an increase in hair loss this year and am thinking about jumping on Propecia again. Any old timers 40+ still on Propecia? What have been your results? Sides?

One more thing,
You will still care about your hair when you’re in your mid 40’s!!! I can’t stress this enough! Do everything you can to hold onto it. (Not medical advice) Don’t rely on new future treatments. I have been waiting for almost 25yrs for a new treatment.

MrClean1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How did minoxidil make your hair look greasy? You should put in on at night and then shower in the morning. If you have time you can put it on in the morning also but it takes 4 hrs to absorb completely. Get back on propecia asap or look like your brother soon. The sides you had sound mild and you can always get the little blue pills for erections.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Consider microdose topical fina if your thinning is mild. Best decision I’ve ever made, and I’ve tried oral before, had some weird sides, but tbh I think only ones with severe hair loss should be on oral fina

Jikslee2.0

My Regimen
Reaction score
Consider microdose topical fina if your thinning is mild. Best decision I’ve ever made, and I’ve tried oral before, had some weird sides, but tbh I think only ones with severe hair loss should be on oral fina
What’s a microdose for topical, 0.02?

Shivers, I’m of a similar age to you and took finasteride for about 17 years. I stopped oral finasteride about a year ago, tried topical for a while but honestly felt a different set of side effects from that than I ever did from the tablets, exhaustion, wild libido swings if I took a few days off, stuff like that.

I was doing 1/4 proscar daily and generally no major side effects but I do “feel” different, since quitting maybe it’s psychosomatic. I’m def losing hair though, but less of an issue now than when I was 23 for sure.

There’s studies done on microneedling and minoxidil showing decent efficacy, but it’s a bit of a pita, the needling, redness etc. Rogaine foam is great compared to the regular greasy stuff, or you could even try microdosing the propecia. A 1/4 tablet would be almost as effective as a full one for example, there’s plenty of info and charts comparing 0.2mg to 1mg, and 5mg. Also least effort.

good luck whichever way you go

exwhyyou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You will still care about your hair when you’re in your mid 40’s!!! I can’t stress this enough! Do everything you can to hold onto it.
no sh*t and that's why we take estrogen. you got mad lucky that you didn't lose it all stopping finasteride for so long. i'd say get back on without hesitation.